Explanation For Finish Peeling on Murphy Lab LPs

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It really is amazing that this guy still has his job.

"It's a few isolated cases, and it's the customers' fault for not properly acclimating the instrument."

@calieng what do you think? No mention at all of pore filler or anything else on Gibson's end. This stinks of classic corporate damage control.

none2low

Reaction score
Really disappointing to see that Gibson is trying to blame customers lack of knowledge regarding climate acclimation as the reason for faulty finishes on ML guitars.

I get that they don't want to make a public statement saying, sorry we screwed up guys, but projecting this as being the customers fault just doesn't sit well with me. Hope they do the right thing and take care of their customers.

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Oh definitely a storm in a teacup. I’m not aware of any issues relating to ES models, just a few Les Paul Standards that were ordered with very dark red aniline dye backs… the oversaturation made them a little more brittle, which made them more susceptible to severe checking when not properly acclimated. We have an acclimation notice on the outside of our boxes. It is especially important that our dealers and fans fully acclimate their instrument in its case when changing climates/temperatures… I would say at least five hours, minimum. Just like you would with vintage 1950s instruments.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

calieng

Reaction score
It really is amazing that this guy still has his job.

"It's a few isolated cases, and it's the customers' fault for not properly acclimating the instrument."

@calieng what do you think? No mention at all of pore filler or anything else on Gibson's end. This stinks of classic corporate damage control.

I know what i was told by the senior Gibson sales person at one of the most respected dealers in the USA who spoke to Tom Murphy personally. Basically this person in the article is lying. Plain and simple.

I can say my '64 ES-335 in cherry is not peeling so there might be some difference in the pore filler used in the ES line.

DanD

Reaction score
:wtf: Blame the dealers and consumers....

Awesome approach.

FWIW When I Googled Murphy Lab I had to scroll thru at least 6 pages before any mention of the issues came up.

It appears Gibson is doing a bang up job of burying their f'ups.

Congrats Mr Koehler, job well done... :facepalm:

amorrow

Reaction score
“By now, you must have seen that thread on The Gear Pagein which people have reported some issues with Ultra Light Aged finishes cracking and chipping – is this a storm in a teacup related to a couple of isolated cases or was there a wider lacquer issue that’s now been fixed?
“Oh definitely a storm in a teacup. I’m not aware of any issues relating to ES models, just a few Les Paul Standards that were ordered with very dark red aniline dye backs… the oversaturation made them a little more brittle, which made them more susceptible to severe checking when not properly acclimated. We have an acclimation notice on the outside of our boxes. It is especially important that our dealers and fans fully acclimate their instrument in its case when changing climates/temperatures… I would say at least five hours, minimum. Just like you would with vintage 1950s instruments.”

Pure nonsense!

yeatzee

Reaction score
I'm genuinely shocked that not only did they address it, they chose the path of blaming the owners! Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Sooo are they also going to blame their dealers who had photos of the guitars with the flaking paint in their product shots?

Absurd.

ZoomP

Reaction score
Simple. Just stop buying them! I think Murphy Lab a joke. When I saw the 3 pieces that my local store brought in... first thought was amateur relic done by some kids in their garage. All that dough for what seems like compressed air checking. Disgraceful. I was ready to depart with a heavy aged R9 if it plays nice... but was disappointed on both fronts. Should have kept my Collector's Choice 12 and 13.

BDW60

Reaction score
My gawd, Gibson brass truly has no integrity at all. Bring out a garbage finish on an overpriced guitar, then double down by lying about it and blaming the customers.

I never thought I would join the “I’ll never buy another new Gibson“ herd but I think I‘m there. This ownership group doesn’t deserve our loyalty, or our money.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Murphy should provide some opinion on this....a flunky spokesperson shouldn’t be Tom’s voice.... its his name dragged thru the mud here. The man needs to come forward. Admit fault for the shoddy product and provide an answer going forward.

Just my opinion.

Latest Threads