Explains Why My Pal is Weird...

broke_player

Reaction score
We were talking about childhood stuff, and he tells me that from the time he was a little kid, until he was a teenager, his father would wake him and his brother from a dead sleep and yell at them:

"How do you stop Gort!?!!"

He would continue until they correctly replied:

"Klaatu Barada Nicto".

Actually that sounds like something I would do. In fact, when my niece was about 8 to 10 yrs old I would go in and shake the bed and say loudly, "It's an earthquake what are you gonna do?" She would wake up and after a few seconds she would pop to POA and say, "Nothing, stay here and take it!"

Now the backstory. When I was in MCRD in San Diego, during third phase we picked up a guy from MRP (Medical Rehabilitation Platoon). One time he was telling me about this other recruit who was in MRP. This particular recruit was given bed rest, I don't remember why but one day while everyone was out one of the drill instructors went up to the recruit and started shaking the bed and shouting, "It's an earthquake, what are you gonna do!". The recruit said something about running to the end of the barracks, which is what we were told to do in case of an emergency. The drill instructor says, "Bullsh!t, you're gonna lay there in the POA(position of attention) and take it!" It was a funny story and I always remembered that. So when I got home I would do that to my niece. I would say, "POA!" and she would jump up and stand at attention.

Funtimes :thumb:

ptate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We got curtains thrown open and "Wakey, wakey, rise and shine, suns up, weathers good, out of bed....!!!" shouted at us like a military command (Dad was ex-navy)....

My kids get curtains thrown open, "ROAR....tickle monster is here"....and then tickled on their feet, ribs or neck/ears until they're almost sick with laughter....In winter, it's light flashed on/off with lightning noises, a bwhahahahaha.....then the tickling.....

Your mate is just weird, nothing to do with Klaatu etc....:thumb:

jlu52

ignoramus maximus emeritus
Reaction score
Kids probably loved that stuff. Every kid (well, most) love to horse around with their dad. That was probably one scene of many generally fun moments the kids experienced with dad. From a dead sleep to intense mental acuity in milleseconds..:laugh2:

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
groovy.jpg

Jakeislove

Reaction score
@ Skin,

Next time you're hanging out remember this: Serial killers have to start some place.

Just sayin'! :)

Jakeislove

Reaction score
FWIW,

I used to wake oldest daughter up with Dr Seuss "Up, up up". She hasn't killed anyone, yet.

THDNUT

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the far side comic where the mother is telling the child who is in bed, "Johnny, if you don't go to sleep right now I'm going to knock on the wall three times to summon the floating head of doom". The father is outside on the ground floor below the boy's bedroom window holding the string of a helium balloon that has a scary face painted on it, waiting to let it rise into view. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

babatube

Reaction score
some parents are weird.
i had a friend which his parents didn't allow anyone to sit on the couch.
so if by mistake i sat on the couch he would get shout out.
plus they never had any food at their house.
their fridge was always empty.
they were upper middle class so no financial reason to justify lack of food in the fridge.
he became a douchebag like his parents.

StLouisBluezz

Reaction score
What is the name of that movie? I almost bought it a a pawn shop.
I like old si-fi.
The scariest movie I watched was War of The Worlds when I was a kid.
Had me scared of stars and aliens for a couple years.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Day the Earth Stood Still.

I woke our children like The Great Santini: "Up an' at 'em sports fans!"

Our family puts the fun in dysfunction.

Now I live with my wreckage.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You want to talk about stuff parents do that might damage a child?

My mom was a fitness freak her whole life, and used to wake me up every morning by splashing a little water in my sleeping face, and then cranking this album:

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymEXHefjMc]YouTube - Richard Simmons - Reach[/ame]

This was her wake up the kids technique for about four years straight. It's amazing that I'm not collecting the body parts of co eds or something. :laugh2:

I hadn't heard this turd for about 24 years until now. Brought a shiver up my spine. :shock:

Latest Threads