ExNihilo Vintage Burst Build

ARandall

Reaction score
The pdf right above your post works for me.

Brewdude

Reaction score
That may not be visible to new members... Kevin I'd suggest you start a new thread with maybe an introduction and try to get 5 or 10 posts so you are eligible to download files and get private messages from members. Or post your email address, probably obscured a bit to avoid spam (kevin at gmail dot com for example) and I can send you the carve PDF if you can't download it from above...

kevin walsh

Reaction score
That may not be visible to new members... Kevin I'd suggest you start a new thread with maybe an introduction and try to get 5 or 10 posts so you are eligible to download files and get private messages from members. Or post your email address, probably obscured a bit to avoid spam (kevin at gmail dot com for example) and I can send you the carve PDF if you can't download it from above...

Many thanks I will do as you suggest.

Matt310

Reaction score
86AF5D09-E231-46EF-9BBB-D6426EC4CF2C.jpeg
Thanks a lot for the templates from France.

First attempt :

sport_johnson

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My house got hit with the most vicious flu bug we have had in years. It lasts a solid week. I am still in the middle of it. I was hoping on doing some work yesterday, but was too faint.

My surprise was that I made a carve template set and cross section curve guides. Here is as far as I got with them:

002-7.jpg

006-4.jpg

Here you can see how easy they are to line up. Just start this first one at 7/16" deep and raise the router 1/16" for each step.

001-4.jpg

I'll explain more later. For now, I have attached the guides. They print to actual size.

Carve Template Set - PDFCast.org
carve-template-set.jpg

Carve Crss Sections - PDFCast.org
carve-crss-sections.jpg

Let me know if these links don't work. MPL would not allow me to upload PDFs this big.

Enjoy!
Is the PDF file still around? The links aren't working anymore. Thanks

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I have the templates and cross sections in my public OneDrive folder:

There are two files there. The cross sections can be used to check the carve at the marked locations on the carve template set. The carve section template set has 2 versions included. Apparently the second one is the most accurate and has the elevation lines straightened out on the top bouts.

Let me know if you have problems accessing them. :)

Netwarrior

Reaction score
I have the templates and cross sections in my public OneDrive folder:

There are two files there. The cross sections can be used to check the carve at the marked locations on the carve template set. The carve section template set has 2 versions included. Apparently the second one is the most accurate and has the elevation lines straightened out on the top bouts.

Let me know if you have problems accessing them. :)

Thanks a lot! I also took the chance to download them!

esecnarf

Reaction score
I use the standard Nitro that you can get at Royal City Paints in Ontario. I just ask them for the "most pure" nitro they have. They kind of look at me funny because I don't really know what I am talking about. So I tell them that I want it to be very brittle and crack in cold weather. 20 minutes later they bring me out a can. I don't really know if there is anything special about it.

For thinner I have used their lacquer thinner. I tell them I want the fastest evaporating stuff they have. However, for this guitar I used lacquer thinner that I got off the shelf from Rona (Canada's Home Depot) mixed with acetone (50-50). I have used it without acetone too and it works fine.

001.jpg

I am very ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff. What I have found by experience is that the biggest factor in creating checking is the amount of lacquer. The thicker it is (i.e. the more coats of lacquer) the more checking you will get. I use to try and spray very thin nitro finishes for tone, but they wouldn't check.

Another thing that I have found that enhances checking is to mix cocoa into lard (or shortening) and smearing it into the checking. Here are some pictures of the checking:

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042-1.jpg

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

NOW, The big news for this guitar is that I am going to refinish it. Yes, that is right. Why? Well, I have kind of become disillusioned with the whole relic thing. I do think old guitars look cool, but I know that my guitar is not old so I kind of have a disconnect with it. Also, I feel kind of dumb whenever someone sees it and asks, "How old is that thing!!??" And I tell them, "I just made it."

Please, don't get me wrong.... I am not criticizing anyone for relicing. I have just come to personally feel different about it. So now I am going to try and spruce the guitar up and make it look pretty.

What do you think of a tobacco burst?

Hi Scott,
I realize this is a old thread but I have a question about the freezer checking if you don't mind. I know in one of the post you said you put it in and out of he freezer a few times. Can you please elaborate on how much time it was left in the freezer and the actual amount of times you did this. I follow all your work and I would like to say it is spectacular.......

Regards,
Billy

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It has been many years since I posted on this thread. I still use some of the techniques on this thread, although there are many things I do differently. It does not matter. There is no ONE way to build a guitar.

I did want to add the following video explaining how I carve a top these days. I noticed that new builders look to this thread as a resource. I hope the video will provide additional help.

Sincerely, Scott

P.S. Although I say in the video that the final height of the binding is 1/4", by the very end, it is just a hair under 1/4". Check your plans for the exact vintage measurement.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Scott, it's great to see you here!

Many have learned much from your build threads. In fact, your threads were mentioned as a go-to for learning just yesterday.

Cheers.

lowatter

Reaction score
^^^^^ditto^^^^^. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your skills and videos Scott. The videos you produce are a blessing here and have and will inspire many to take on builds including me. Please carry-on.

Latest Threads