Excited to get this ES-355TD on the bench. Until the first bug scurried out...

fumblefinger

Reaction score
I was really excited to get this '73 Gibson ES-355TD on my bench. Then as I levered the trapeze up this little bug scurried out across the top. Followed later by another. Am I just lucky that this is the first time it's happened to me? Anyone else have this happen?

355.jpg

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Hope they're not German roaches. Hope you killed them. Spray RAID into the F-holes (just a little, don't soak the wood) and tape up the F-holes for 24 hours.

When I got stuff from the shop of my now dead amp tech and friend, I always had to watch out for that. He was a good guy but he had...sanitation issues. Roaches were a consequence of that.

Roxy13

Reaction score
No, but I did a lot of work on my neighbor's Fender strat and the whole cavity was filled with spider webs and dead fruit flies and fly poop caked everything! That was pretty horrifying. They must have went in there through the jack.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
Hope they're not German roaches. Hope you killed them. Spray RAID into the F-holes (just a little, don't soak the wood) and tape up the F-holes for 24 hours.

When I got stuff from the shop of my now dead amp tech and friend, I always had to watch out for that. He was a good guy but he had...sanitation issues. Roaches were a consequence of that.
Unfortunately, it's already back home. But it raised an ethics question. Do I tell the owner that there were bugs in the axe and embarrass him? Yes, I did kill them as they exited. It appeared there had been something spilled on the guitar and the trapeze had some sticky goop on one end. This is where they exited from. Took 6 Q-tips soaked in alcohol to clean it up.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
When I buy an amp, first thing I do it take it to the garage, and open it, with a can of Raid in hand! Couldn't tell you how many times I found creepy crawlers inside.
Guitar-wise, I remember one strat that when I opened it, smelled like roach crap, with dozens of the dead things floating in it. Pots were full of carcasses.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Yes, inform your customer of bug problems with his equipment. Either he doesn't want bugs in his equipment and needs to know of this problem, or he's a lousy housekeeper and deserves to be moderately shamed about it. Either way, you let him know that his equipment is a roach habitat.

Latest Threads