Ex-Nihilo Build 3 -SGLP

ExNihilo

Reaction score
This thread will follow the building of my own custom guitar. An SG body with a 59 Les Paul maple top carve (SGLP).

Here is a computer model to give you the idea:

I made the model so that I can CNC the top. The sharp lines will be sanded out during the build. I started a chambered American Black Walnut version:

However, I think I am going to put this one on hold and build a Honduran Mahogany one first..... with p-90s!

Hope you enjoy!

Sincerely, Scott

SG Lou

Reaction score
Awesome Idea......I'll be watching this one !

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Here is how I join the book matched maple boards together.

I get a piece of flat mdf (I had an LP template downstairs and that worked fine) and I two-way tape one of the maple boards down to the mdf. Then, I run another strip of tape on the mdf for the other board. This keeps the pieces flat and in place while I apply the clamps.

With the hide glue prepared, I run a hot iron across the area where I am going to apply the glue.

I apply the glue.

I press the boards together and apply the clamps.

After about three or four minutes, I remove the clamps and sandwich the boards between two pieces of mdf. This keeps everything flat (even though it will be planed again). As the moister evaporates from the glue, it will continue to suck the pieces together and become glass hard.

Sincerely, Scott

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Another master class!!!!! thanks a lot Scott will be following this amazing idea.

SG Lou

Reaction score
Scott,
from seeing the pictures I assume you will be using the newer style neck joint as opposed to the Early 60's box joint ?

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Scott,
from seeing the pictures I assume you will be using the newer style neck joint as opposed to the Early 60's box joint ?
Yes, that is correct. It is closer to an LP mortise and tenon and will allow for greater strength and wood to wood contact.

Sincerely, Scott

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Putting wax paper between the mdf and the maple will keep any squeezeout from mucking up the works, guys. Better safe than glued.

I heat up a coffee mug on the stove and use it to keep my hide glue warm while applying it, it works better than trying to get from the glue pot to the work; being portable, small and easy to clean and reuse.

Hey, Scott....

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great Scott! (as if you hadn't heard that one before) I'm lovin' it! Looking forward to watching this progress!

Frank

Br0ken68

Reaction score
Well we know you iron. Do you do windows too? =)

Nelson674

Reaction score
can't wait to watch this one unfold! :D

Scott, thank you for taking the time to share this with us!

Nelson

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Hey, Scott....

[/QUOTE]

Hey Greg, that gives me an idea as to how the binding will look. What kind of guitars are these and when were they made? I am going to place the selector switch by the top horn (like a LP), use thinner binding, a steeper carve, not a perimeter burst, quilted maple crown shaped inlays, and I'm going to use an LP pick guard too. But this picture definitely shows me that there is potential! Thanks.

Pete M

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Having owned a Gibson SG for many years, I'd be concerned about where you have the route for the selector switch in this photo. It looks like it is getting close to being right in the middle of the pickups or at least close to where a players strumming hand would hit the switch all the time. I think that's why most SGs have the switch by the knobs. Maybe it's just the angle?

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Having owned a Gibson SG for many years, I'd be concerned about where you have the route for the selector switch in this photo. It looks like it is getting close to being right in the middle of the pickups or at least close to where a players strumming hand would hit the switch all the time. I think that's why most SGs have the switch by the knobs. Maybe it's just the angle?

That is a very good point. Thank you for mentioning it. I will have to look into it.

EtriX

Reaction score
Scott, your builds are always great. I love to read and see how you've progressed between each photo op. Looking forward to see how you do on this thread. I love the SGs and I love carve tops :D This should be a ducey

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Alas, it is true. I will have to arrange the electronics SG style rather than LP style.

TexasNate

Reaction score
Wow, good thing someone caught that!

Does anyone ever consider using a different kind of switch that wouldn't get in the way like a sliding switch?