evh

mrBrianc

Reaction score
looking into a evh usa or a mexican special wolfgang. I have only played a standard and was wondering if the usa is far superior over the mexican special?
Thanks

Red Beard

Reaction score
Ive played the MIM’s and come away impressed
There tight with solid hardware
Itll come down to personal preference
Go plug them in an compare

Harley90

Reaction score
I have a ton of EVH's, new ones, old ones, custom mades, home mades, etc.

The standard body EVH is my favorite, the neck on the special is my preferred ( it's a little thicker), The Floyd on the special is 1000 series, vs the special floyd, and is better, also I found the d tuna to work better on a 1000. I do swap pickups with USA versions but there is negligible difference.
Depends on buying new or used, new try them all out, tons of great models, no duds.

The Special may be the best buy on the guitar market, especially used.

Based on my likes - I look for:
EVH Hard tail standard, gotta buy used, these are awesome
EVH Standard baked neck, drop in a 1000 series Floyd if you want better
EVH special if the Special body is to your liking ( no fore arm cut) I love the ebony necks
In the used market China made ones are good, stainless frets.
The Japanese made ones are my go to for the lowest cost best ones, great wood, perfect build.

My fav is one I built - EVH Standard body, a single USA pickup, I had an old top of the line Kahler Floyd from the 80's installed (not a drop in), EVH Special Maple neck...it is a screamer

Everything else is going to be higher.

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
The USA Wolfgang has a wider nut (1.65”) than the MIM Special (1.625”). If you prefer a wider neck, get the USA.

revtime

Reaction score
Best bang for your buck is a MIJ. If you can find one it is basically a MIA without the carved top.
I love mine.
20220813_201303_copy_3000x2250.jpg

hbucker

Reaction score
Some thoughts that probably won’t help one way or the other:

Stainless frets are a big deal to me.

When push comes to shove, I think the Standard body with its cutaways is more comfortable.

Roasted maple necks with their black fret dots are a huge pain on a dimly lit stage.

The Floyd on the Standard really does need upgraded saddles if you’re going to use it much.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I currently have a 2018 WG Special in Candy Apple Red, which is a limited color. I am extremely impressed with this guitar and play it more often than my EBMM EVH. It is also better than my previous Peavey Wolfgang USA Special Deluxe. You can't go wrong with these :thumb:

Latest Threads