EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth Black w/Ebony Fretboard

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hello, I hope everyone is healthy and staying safe!

I spent the past week looking for a new guitar, the Les Paul Muse, the Les Paul Modern, the SG Standard 61 and thought that one of those 3 would be the guitar I chose for my wall. I wanted something that wouldn't break the bank, looked sweet, and of course feel/play as well as sound great. There are no open guitar stores, so I couldn't go out an play them, so I talked to a few people, watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews. I love 80's rock, and my favorites are AC/DC, Ozzy and Van Halen. I really wanted an SG with Vibrato, but found that they are problematic keeping in tune, just like my present Gretsch with Bigsby, that if you whammy a little to much, the guitar is out of tune. I just hate it when my guitar is out of tune after using the Whammy/Vibrato.

I ended up really liking the EVH Wolfgang Special in the Stealth Black with the Ebony Fretboard. A true 80's Rock Monster guitar, that can also do a lot more and you can whammy the crap out of it and it is in perfect tune like most with a locking nut. I think it will look totally sweet on the wall between my Les Paul's and I can't wait to start jamming with it.

Who else has one of the MIM Wolfgang Specials and how do you like it?

tzd

Reaction score
I just got mine less than 2 months ago.

I wrote about my experience here:

Since that post, I have gotten used to the carved top (found my perfect strap length for the guitar where it doesn't bother me anymore), and also gotten used to playing on the higher frets.

You need to play it for a few weeks to really get used to it as its dimensions are really different from other guitars. Now that I'm used to it, I really love it.

You need to be aware that the neck is very narrow - Floyd R2 nut (1.625" width). You've got to like narrow necks, and be used to playing with your thumb over the top like I do. The neck has an asymmetric profile that I really like.

As with all my guitars with Korean Floyd 1000 series bridge, I changed the whammy bar to a German Schaller bar for ~$25 and it makes the world of difference - moves smoothly and doesn't squeak.

As this is a non-recessed Floyd, it stays in tune perfectly. I tightened the claw springs so that I can bend the my strings up 3 semitones (think Comfortably Numb, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, etc) without the bridge lifting. A huge benefit over my other Charvels with floating Floyds Rose.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thank you for the review on yours and your opinions, I can't wait to get mine.

Reactions: tzd

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Well, leave it to Fedex to not get it right. haha Hopefully I get it today, it's been in and around LA for two days now. First Rialto Cali, then LA Cali and now Vernon Cali. It is amazing that it can come all the way across the US from Missouri in 2 days and can't even get out of the LA area in two days.

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
I know... 3 weeks ago I ordered an EVH Striped Series, tracking shows it arrived in my area on Saturday. On Sun and Mon, tracking shows it went Out For Delivery, but each day ended with Delivery Exception.

Finally received it on Tuesday, only to find 1-inch cracks on both sides of the neck pocket. I can imagine the number of times the box has been carelessly loaded and unloaded from the truck that caused this.

Unfortunately I decided to send it back for refund :(

moreles

Reaction score
Poop on picless posts like this. Seriously! Poop! Come on!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, I got her and tuned her up, but the intonation was off and the string height was a bit high for me. So I took some pictures and then ran her to my Luthier to give it a setup, I will get her back tomorrow.

Here are the promised pictures.

tzd

Reaction score
Did you buy it new or used? Because the inner ring of my pickup selector switch is chrome, but yours is black. Mine was B-Stock but setup and the entire guitar was perfect out of the box!

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know what Eddy is anymore.... a musician or a salesman... Not like I care anymore!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I purchased it new from ZZounds, the setup was just ok, it needs some TLC from my Luthier, then it should kick ass.

Reactions: tzd

KS 5150

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Special that is an amazing guitar....HNGD!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I find you don't have much adjustment playroom on the low E because of the Drop D-Tuna. I have to have mine up all the way and then just spin it down not even a full turn, then adjust the E from the tuners and tighten the locking nut. If you have it down to far, the D-Tuna is hard to pull out and put back in.

Do I maybe have a bad Floyd and have them replace it?

Last edited:

hbucker

Reaction score
I find you don't have much adjustment playroom on the low E because of the Drop D-Tuna. I have to have mine up all the way and then just spin it down not even a full turn, then adjust the E from they tuners and tighten the locking nut. If you have it down to far, the D-Tuna is hard to pull out and put back in.

No. You're fine. That's the nature of the Tuna. Gotta keep the fine tuner set higher for better sliding action and to not hit the surface of the guitar when you pull it out. I believe the directions even state this.

tzd

Reaction score
I find you don't have much adjustment playroom on the low E because of the Drop D-Tuna. I have to have mine up all the way and then just spin it down not even a full turn, then adjust the E from they tuners and tighten the locking nut. If you have it down to far, the D-Tuna is hard to pull out and put back in.

With the D-Tuna, you lose the use of the fine tuning screw on the low E string.

The correct way to set up the D-Tuna is:
  1. Unclamp the locking nut
  2. Pull out the D-Tuna (drop the tune to D)
  3. Loosen the fine tuning screw all the way out so it's not touching the shaft
  4. Loosen the tiny hex adjustment screw on the D-Tuna shaft
  5. Tune the 6th string to D using headstock tuner
  6. Clamp the locking nut, make sure it's all still in tune (at D)
  7. Push the D-Tuna back in (to E tuning position)
  8. E should read low at this point. Tighten the tiny hex adjustment screw on the D-Tuna shaft to tune the string to E
Of course if you do not plan to drop tune to D, you can continue to use the fine tuning screw to tune up the E string in future if you wish. Otherwise you will need to use the tiny hex screw for any fine tuning.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Cool, thank for the information, I will give that a shot.

Latest Threads