EVH shark build

lee1964

Reaction score
I’ve been kicking around an idea to build a shark tribute, being that seeing it for the first time when I was 14 inspired me to build my first guitar, very loosely based on my recollection of how it looked from the maybe 3 times I saw it on an Strayan music show called “countdown”

Needless to say mine was nothing like the guitar I saw Eddie playing but I was 14, could barely play and had never worked with wood before in my life apart from balsa model planes.

I was actually studying art as I didn’t study woodworking due to fact I didn’t want to make fruit bowls.

So I begged the woodworking dept to let me make a guitar in my lunch break and after months of begging and pleading they finally relented and that’s how it all began.

The guitar actually worked but had major issues but I played it for years before it was stolen.

So I thought I’d revisit the idea being it’s close to Eddies first anniversary of his death, which also happens to coincide with my birthday, so from here on in my birthday will always remind me of the greatest influence in my life.

I’ve owned a few lawsuit Ibanez destroyers over the years so I’m pretty familiar with them, however the body shape will be closer to my 58 drawings with a few mods to the routes etc.

The Ibanez was actually damned close on overal dimensions to a 58 as we realised in the “ historically accurate explorer thread”
In my usual style Im not going to be insanely hell bent on 100% accuracy, however I do want it pretty close .

However my first issue is obtaining the turnbuckles, is any one aware of where to find the particular style of turnbuckle which I believe is an Aluminium body with stainless threads, I’ve found a few online but I haven’t calculated the sizes I need.

So question 1.
Does any body here know where to find that style turnbuckle and the size required?

Lee

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Cool story!

Cool project!

Pics of your first build?

Pics of the model you're aiming for?

Pics?

Pics?

Pics?

;)

lee1964

Reaction score
Sadly I have no pics of my first guitar, there was a pic in the woodworking room at Cronulla high school for atleast 20 yrs that I’m aware off but when I contacted the school a few yrs back they informed me it would have been lost in the fire that gutted that wing of the school.
I’ll photoshop up what roughly looked like as long as there is no laughter!!!

The school Entered it in the state wide school woodworking exhibitions and it cleaned up all the awards until it went up against a school that built a full size working hovercraft.

I’m planning on an alder body and maple neck as I’m to lazy to grain fill, I have a slightly oversized 2 piece Strat blank that I can chop up and make it accomodate the explorer.

Lee

lee1964

Reaction score
Teaser pics
Three piece body still better than the multi laminated pancake bodies the Ibanez used, I seem to remember most had atleast 6 piece bodies

F81ED303-027F-400A-ACE6-CD33AD8696C4.jpeg
AFC1AC86-1059-4358-BFE6-F80D5A60E57B.jpeg
264A606A-6F77-4315-A47C-344D8B0F9D42.jpeg
F81ED303-027F-400A-ACE6-CD33AD8696C4.jpeg
AFC1AC86-1059-4358-BFE6-F80D5A60E57B.jpeg
264A606A-6F77-4315-A47C-344D8B0F9D42.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
I'm sure you're already too aware of the fact that the Shark-Destroyer was pretty much not played by EVH after that mod because he said the wood he removed killed its tone/vibe.

lee1964

Reaction score
Thickness sanded down to 38mm and template traced out onto the body ready for rough band sawing to shape
E5FFD537-2FCD-4F93-8B9A-768744A377CF.jpeg
F0122E68-0A62-484C-987D-57F26094CB9E.jpeg
2B11D85A-3D93-43E1-B90E-18957D2F1686.jpeg
8B95500B-859D-44F3-9DDD-AADC94490EF7.jpeg
DFAB3EEB-D59B-41F0-A143-AC4A8DF6781E.jpeg

lee1964

Reaction score
Yes I have read that before but personally I don’t believe it as I’m a tonewood heretic and Eddie was very much into covering up the truth to throw people of the track.

The main reason for this build is nostalgia, this guitar was my first contact with van halen and lead me on a lifelong obsession of building, without seeing this guitar I may never have embarked on this path.

Lee

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Can understand the nostalgia.....

.......but Eddie throwing people off the scent and him simply not playing a guitar anymore are lightyears apart......I mean you don't retire a guitar permanently from live and studio merely to throw people off the scent. I mean given its prominence on VH1, thats cutting your nose off to spite your face

lee1964

Reaction score
So back to the question…
Does anyone have a lead on the turnbuckles he used I can’t find them at all here in “Straya” so I guess I’ll be importing them.
I’ll do some photoshop Mashups to try and guesstimate sizes of the turnbuckles used

lee1964

Reaction score
Ok, I think all this lock down stuff has driven me Batshit cRaZy …

Here’s my latest twist in this project.

I’m thinking I’m going to make it as a Destroyer tribute then modify it to a shark,

so I’ll make a complete destroyer and spray it in a thick goopy 2 pac like the originals were, the finish was so thick you could almost measure it with a ruler!!!

Then I’ll have a word in my mates ear and see if he will record it for me, then I’ll pull it apart and respray as Eddie did.

1st Black
2nd White
Then finally Burgundy and silver
Using rattle cans

I believe that is the path it took on its way to all its butchered glory, I’ll use all the exact same pickups and electronics and re record the guitar and see if it makes any significant diferences.

Now I realise this won’t be an exact analog but it’s as close as I’m prepared to go and similar to my tonewood v MDF post from years back maybe we could have a poll and see what everyone thinks or prefers???

Now I don’t claim to know what Ibanez actually used back then but the three destroyers that I owned all had very thick very plastic feeling finishes so I’ll just do what I can to replicate something similar.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Lee

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Bad ass Lee. I finally have my Explorer project well under way too.

The turn buckles look like 3“ and 4”. Amazon has them listed. Do you know if they were Stainless or Aluminum?

lee1964

Reaction score
Hi joe
I joined a Facebook group and they pointed me in the right direction
When will we see some progress shots?

Lee

Bainzy

Reaction score
I do expect that it would sound different, as explorers seem to always have a repeatably different sound to flying Vs - which also have a big bit cut out below the bridge. Flying Vs still sound great though don't they? Just different.

I will send you a PM Lee as I have something that may help you in this project, just need to dig it out

Latest Threads