EVH or.... Rik Emmett?

fry

Reaction score
1984 was one of Rocks most annoying releases ever..
I got into Van Halen a little late. I grew up in a small town with no good radio stations, and just got cheated out of a lot of good music. I only discovered them sometime before 1984 was released. I got into them hard-core, and was buying up all the previous albums. I was like a kid at Christmas waiting for 1984 to come out. Crazy thing, a rock station in my hometown actually played the album in its entirety of the day it was released, without interruptions. I had my blank cassette in the boom box and recorded the whole thing. I was so excited at the beginning, and when those keyboards kicked in at the beginning of Jump, my heart just sank. I was so bummed, but I got over it. Plenty of really good guitar work on the album, and Jump is probably the last song I would choose to listen to from it.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I grew up in a small town with no good radio stations, and just got cheated out of a lot of good music.
Western Kansas?

:)
Jump is probably the last song I would choose to listen to from it.
Same here.
But turn on the radio.

Leee

Reaction score
When you’re listening to the radio, and the DJ says, “More rock coming up next from Van Halen, Tom Petty, and Aerosmith!”

So you wait.

And it’s…

Jump
Free Falling
Angel

fry

Reaction score
Western Kansas?

Same here.
But turn on the radio.
I’m from West Virginia. And as far as radio goes, I haven’t listened to terrestrial radio for more than two minutes in the last six or seven years. If you want to hear 10 minutes of car dealership commercials over and over, that’s what it’s good for.

Leee

Reaction score
I grew up on the high plains in the 70s, and other than pop music and church music, it was the ag report, weather and sports.
And I don’t mean professional sports.
Strictly local high school and college.

All on the AM band.

Any time I could get near Denver Colorado, Wichita Kansas, Amarillo Texas, or Oklahoma City, there was real rock ‘n’ roll on FM! It was heaven!

I would grab a piece of paper and jot down bands and song titles, or just lyrics if they didn’t announce who it was.

Big Dik

Reaction score
Ric Emmett used to write a column in Guitar Player about lefties playing right handed guitars. Well I am one of those guys that do.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
exactly. like i said, about the same time. not decades apart as scoot posted.

no malice, no gotcha, just sayin.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was going from memory and thought that VH was mid 70’s and Triumph was early to mid 80’s. Prob by the time I first heard them anyway.
The mid 70’s reference in regards to VH may have been Boston that might have arrived just a tad sooner.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Do you feel like it's an advantage or a liability?
Honestly, I would prob suck either way, as I just have a hard time finding the time to play and be disciplined about it.

That being said, I’ve had this conversation with a buddy of mine who is a really good guitarist that is right handed. My thoughts are that all the complicated and more intricate (generally) things that you do on a guitar is in your fretting hand. Which would be your left. So it would stand to reason that you’re dominant hand would be on the neck. He did agree that would make logical sense.
I’m VERY left handed in just about everything I do in everyday life, yet the thought of even attempting to try to play drums or guitar in a left handed setup is probably just as foreign a concept to me as any true right handed person would perceive it. Can’t explain it any more than that...just is.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
31:50

I feel like Rik was mocking Van Halen, showing how easy it was to play like that.

The US festival was headlined by VH, and they got a record $1.5 million to appear.

In the solos, Rik really showed off, knowing this was the biggest stage of his career.

I wouldn’t argue with anyone who thinks Rik is the better guitarist. But EVH changed the world.
He was. Van Halen got a cool mil to play the US festival and the rest of the bands were getting way way less. So Rik is sorta pointing at his hand doing all the hammeron stuff from Eruption and mouthing, "you paid him a million bucks to do this"

or something like that

But Eddie was so much more than Eruption. His rhythm playing is simply beyond compare. Eddie has more groove in his right hand than anybody else I've heard and his dynamics are incredible

Leee

Reaction score
So it would stand to reason that you’re dominant hand would be on the neck.
I was ambidextrous as a kid.
In elementary school I sorta fell left on some things and right on others.
Amazing how those abilities fade when unused.

The same idea occurred to me when I was first struggling on guitar.
When I finally got the opportunity, I gave it a try playing lefty.

It was pathetic.
I would have had better luck using my toes.

Leee

Reaction score
I remember an interview way back with Elliott Easton of the Cars.
He was talking about his early days when he decided to get into the music business.

He was serious from the beginning.

Anyone who knows anything about him knows that he is a lefty.
But that was a conscious choice.
From what I recall, he said he was playing guitar the traditional way, but between him and his manager, they somehow decided that he needed to be different.
To stand out, to get noticed, to get gigs.

Paul McCartney was world-famous - and he was a lefty.

So, let’s flip this thing around…

Olds442

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I was going from memory and thought that VH was mid 70’s and Triumph was early to mid 80’s. Prob by the time I first heard them anyway.
The mid 70’s reference in regards to VH may have been Boston that might have arrived just a tad sooner.
no worries, no harm and no foul. i didn't mean to attack your claim, only to correct it. i love all bands involved in discussion here. :D

Who

Well respected man about town
Reaction score
I happen to be listening to this today…..

The guitar solo kills. KILLS. Fucking awesome.

Album released a year before VH1.

Eddie changes the world for sure. But awesome guitar playing wasn’t waiting around for him to show up.

Zungle

Reaction score
I was ambidextrous as a kid.
In elementary school I sorta fell left on some things and right on others.
Amazing how those abilities fade when unused.

The same idea occurred to me when I was first struggling on guitar.
When I finally got the opportunity, I gave it a try playing lefty.

It was pathetic.
I would have had better luck using my toes.

I'm very ambidextrous......

Write, throw, bat ,play guitar....right handed

Eat, play pool , play drums, box...left handed/southpaw

Kick a ball, and primary combat kicking leg.....left footed

Arm wrestling, lifting, punching ...(jab, hook, overhand,backfist etc) .....both hands are equal....caught a few guys by surprise in my younger days.

Overall kind of mess.....but pretty cool in the big picture.

I've tried playing guitar lefty , for fun.....might be able to do it, but it would take years to get to the level I am now.....and trust me that's setting the bar fairly low......

Leee

Reaction score
Write, throw, bat ,play guitar....right handed
Eat, play pool , play drums, box...left handed/southpaw

Overall kind of mess.....but pretty cool in the big picture.
Right on.
My first day in the Little League baseball dugout, the coach was getting to know us and was asking questions.
“Any of you here bat left-handed?” as he raised his own left hand looking for responses.
I guess he noticed the look on my face and asked me specifically, “Do you bat left-handed?”

I had never really thought about it.
If I picked up a bat, I would be able to tell you.
“You don’t know if you are left or right handed?” he asked in exasperation.
All I could think of, well, it depends on what I’m doing…

I noticed by a high school I could no longer write very well with my left hand because I rarely did it anymore.
In elementary school, it didn’t matter. Other students were amazed at my ability to switch hands with no effort.

My first grade teacher harassed me into using my right hand.
“If you can write with your right hand, you should write with your right hand. Trust me, you will be better off.”

So my entire life’s failures are her fault…

Last edited:

Latest Threads