EVH/Fender Wolfgang Standard and Special Models

fugazi20

Reaction score
It appears that with the new colors for the EVH Wolfgangs, some stores are looking to move some inventory. Adorama has a sale. And actually I've seen some at Proaudiostar (don't know anything about them, but the prices cames up decenty in a search). In short, I've never had a chance to play a current(ish) EVH. The prices are pretty good for the low level (Standard), and the Specials aren't too badly priced either. Aside from the specs on them, I just wanted to see if anybody had any comments on their fit, finish, playability or anything else. Sure, a setup after receiving it not unreasonable. But just wanted to see what any opinions were, especially Standard vs Special. Thanks in advance for any feedback or opinions.

For those that may be interested, here's a link of the listing of deals that I ran across. (It's a couple of weeks old, so some models have sold out....)
Adorama EVH Gutar sale

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was wondering that myself. There are some good deals out there now, and I do like the Matte Blue Frost or whatever.

On the specials, the natural looks great, but the Ivory is sweet AF also.

MeTheGuy

Reaction score
I own two MIM Specials, one in gold and one the Stealth. Both are very good guitars. I had a standard at one time I bought new.

You can buy a used special for around the price of a new standard which makes a great deal on a Special. The Specials used to come with hard cases but not anymore.

If a standard is new for for less than 400 bucks they are hard to beat at that proce point. The guitars are fun, play great, amd sound great. Took me a while to get used to top mounted Floyd's as ive always used full floating trems.

fugazi20

Reaction score
I was wondering that myself. There are some good deals out there now, and I do like the Matte Blue Frost or whatever.

On the specials, the natural looks great, but the Ivory is sweet AF also.
Yes, there are a few that are grabbing my eye. My friend is a huge EVH fan. He said the Peaveys were decent, but couldn't touch the EBMM versions. He has three of those. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to play the current Fender incarnation. But at some of these prices, it is reasonable enough where I'm definitely thinking about getting one to try out.

I own two MIM Specials, one in gold and one the Stealth. Both are very good guitars. I had a standard at one time I bought new.

You can buy a used special for around the price of a new standard which makes a great deal on a Special. The Specials used to come with hard cases but not anymore.

If a standard is new for for less than 400 bucks they are hard to beat at that proce point. The guitars are fun, play great, amd sound great. Took me a while to get used to top mounted Floyd's as ive always used full floating trems.
That's what I was thinking. I started looking at the used market to get a feel for pricing (and availability, for that matter). I certainly wasn't against going used either. I was wanting to get a Special, and especially looking at the used prices again. But these Standards are so low, that's what got me to asking whether they would be worth trying. Though I am still perusing used a bit to see if I can find a nice special with a case. Wish the new ones still had it. Thanks for the feedback!

hbucker

Reaction score
I own a Music Man EVH, a PV Wolf and have one of the black EVH Wolfgang pickups in a Frankenstrat that I made.

Hands down, the Music Man DiMarzios are my favorite factory issued pickups. They're fantastic. The pickups in the PV are its biggest (only) weakness IMO. They are very hot and full range - not as focused. Seem designed to be turned down on the volume pot most of the time and then full up for solos. Over all, less character. Otherwise, the PV feels different, but better or worse comes down to personal preference. It's great feeling guitar.

The EVH Wolfgang necks have less specific character to me, but are still great. Slimmer profile than the PV. Much wider than either the EBMM (which is very narrow) or the PV.

The black Wolfgang pickup (same as the ones on guitars in the OP) is a great pickup. More Fendery sounding than either of the other two signature pickups, but still warm and handle a variety of styles. Probably not as hot as the EBMM pickups and much less hot than the PV pickups, but more true to EVH's old school tone. Not a ton different than the EVH Frankenstrat model.

I would hope that the guitars in the OP are not close to the quality of the American EVH Wolfs due to cost alone. But the ones I've picked up in stores have been very decent instruments. I confirmed with EVH that the pickups are all built to the same spec, but the black ones are assembled overseas to save money. (Let that argument begin...)

If this style of guitar is what you're hankering for, I think the guitars posted would be a good value. If I needed another one like this I'd be tempted to bite, but alas...

MeTheGuy

Reaction score
Im actually pondering selling my Stealth if the Charvel I just bought is what I expect it to be

tzd

Reaction score
Get the Special. The MIM Special has carved top and D-Tuna on the Floyd. The Indonesian Standard has a flat top and lower-spec'ed Floyd Rose Special tremolo without D-Tuna.

One thing I noticed and really do not like about Indonesian guitars, be it EVH, PRS or any other brand, is how their gloss finish has this very artificial look to it.

fugazi20

Reaction score
I own a Music Man EVH, a PV Wolf and have one of the black EVH Wolfgang pickups in a Frankenstrat that I made.

Hands down, the Music Man DiMarzios are my favorite factory issued pickups. They're fantastic. The pickups in the PV are its biggest (only) weakness IMO. They are very hot and full range - not as focused. Seem designed to be turned down on the volume pot most of the time and then full up for solos. Over all, less character. Otherwise, the PV feels different, but better or worse comes down to personal preference. It's great feeling guitar.

The EVH Wolfgang necks have less specific character to me, but are still great. Slimmer profile than the PV. Much wider than either the EBMM (which is very narrow) or the PV.

The black Wolfgang pickup (same as the ones on guitars in the OP) is a great pickup. More Fendery sounding than either of the other two signature pickups, but still warm and handle a variety of styles. Probably not as hot as the EBMM pickups and much less hot than the PV pickups, but more true to EVH's old school tone. Not a ton different than the EVH Frankenstrat model.

I would hope that the guitars in the OP are not close to the quality of the American EVH Wolfs due to cost alone. But the ones I've picked up in stores have been very decent instruments. I confirmed with EVH that the pickups are all built to the same spec, but the black ones are assembled overseas to save money. (Let that argument begin...)

If this style of guitar is what you're hankering for, I think the guitars posted would be a good value. If I needed another one like this I'd be tempted to bite, but alas...
Cool, thanks for all of the info. I was wondering about the pickups and necks in general a well. I had a little curiosity about these, but when these prices showed up, I started looking into them more to try and learn about them. My expectation going in was that the electronics and pickups would likely be a little less in quality (though knowing that at least the same materials are used in the pickups is big), though with the hope that the playability and overal quality are good and not miles apart from Standards etc. Good info and stuff to consider. Thanks!

fugazi20

Reaction score
Get the Special. The MIM Special has carved top and D-Tuna on the Floyd. The Indonesian Standard has a flat top and lower-spec'ed Floyd Rose Special tremolo without D-Tuna.

One thing I noticed and really do not like about Indonesian guitars, be it EVH, PRS or any other brand, is how their gloss finish has this very artificial look to it.
I must've missed that info in the specs and/or overlooked the difference in pics, as I wasn't aware that the Special has a carve. Good to know. Thanks for the info and observations etc!

Reactions: tzd

tzd

Reaction score
@fugazi20 have you got the Wolfgang yet?

I actually bought a Wolfgang Special Stealth and spent a week playing and getting used to it, so I can provide you with some first hand experience:

1. The neck is very narrow at the nut, 1.625" width (Floyd R2 nut)

2. The Special's top is very nicely carved, but it is not that comfortable to play with. It feels similar to the carved top of the LTD Eclipse EC-1000 where the edge feels a little sharp against your forearm. However, the body is thicker than the Eclipse so your forearm feels it more. After a week of playing, I find the most comfortable playing position when standing up is to position my right thigh slightly forward to tilt the bottom of the guitar slightly outwards.

3. The distance from the bridge to the rear strap pin is much shorter than a Les Paul or Strat, and it really takes some getting used to when playing. Also, the positioning of the upper horn and where the neck joins the body really trips me up as it feels very different from a Les Paul or a Strat. Even though upper fret access is excellent, I find myself getting lost on the fretboard when playing higher up than the 12th fret.

Other than that, the build quality is excellent, it sounds great and the top-mounted Floyd with D-Tuna works perfect!

With my experience, I believe the Wolfgang Standard's slab body with upper-arm cut (like a Strat) and a belly cut at the back will be more comfortable to play with.

Here is my Stealth:

IMG_0403.jpeg

hbucker

Reaction score
There is no question that all of the EVH guitars have a different feel than the Gibson/Fender designs that many folks have gotten use to through the years. They have a compact feel, especially for being 25.5 scale, and the geometry is slightly different. (very different for some folks)

No doubt, some will simply not bond with the vibe of these guitars. But, I've gotten use to playing every guitar I own, which includes 2 EVH models as well as traditional styles. The guitars all just feel like themselves to me. I had a Tele that I couldn't bond with, so I sold it. Otherwise, I really dig the streamlined feel of the EVH guitars, but can switch between them and traditional styles without missing a beat.

Your results may vary.

burke

Reaction score
I have a standard and it plays great however the previous owner installed a D-Tuna which limits the action adjustment. After I shimmed the neck it plays great. I love the neck.

Attachments

tzd

Reaction score
I have a standard and it plays great however the previous owner installed a D-Tuna which limits the action adjustment. After I shimmed the neck it plays great. I love the neck.
Is your pickup selector switch up-position Bridge or Neck pickup? Mine came stock with Neck (same as Les Paul). I was expecting it to be the other way round.

burke

Reaction score
Is your pickup selector switch up-position Bridge or Neck pickup? Mine came stock with Neck (same as Les Paul). I was expecting it to be the other way round.
Up Bridge, Down neck.

fugazi20

Reaction score
Yes, thanks, picked up a Wolfgang Special. Found a used one in excellent condition along with a case. The build quality is excellent and just overall a really nice guitar. I love the carve on it as well. It does feel compact as mentioned above. But a nice cool guitar that's something different. The one thing that wasn't a fit right away was the neck. It was a little to thin for me. I am generally not too finicky about necks, I tried it for about a week. I could get used to it, but I decided to return it. I wanted to try out a Wolfgane and see what it was about. I have other guitars that I'll pick up first and play, which is what made me return it. Yes, I'd get more and more used to it in the long run, and maybe I'll try another one in the future, but it just didn't feel like a good fit for me at this time.

That being said, it is an excellent guitar and I would recommend it to those that want to try it. I'm trying a few different things here and there outside of the typical Gibson/Fender/PRS/G&L etc., so I'm expecting a few to not gel with me. Love that stealth though! And thanks for the feedback, too. I found the exact same thing. Congrats and enjoy your WG!

@fugazi20 have you got the Wolfgang yet?

I actually bought a Wolfgang Special Stealth and spent a week playing and getting used to it, so I can provide you with some first hand experience:

1. The neck is very narrow at the nut, 1.625" width (Floyd R2 nut)

2. The Special's top is very nicely carved, but it is not that comfortable to play with. It feels similar to the carved top of the LTD Eclipse EC-1000 where the edge feels a little sharp against your forearm. However, the body is thicker than the Eclipse so your forearm feels it more. After a week of playing, I find the most comfortable playing position when standing up is to position my right thigh slightly forward to tilt the bottom of the guitar slightly outwards.

3. The distance from the bridge to the rear strap pin is much shorter than a Les Paul or Strat, and it really takes some getting used to when playing. Also, the positioning of the upper horn and where the neck joins the body really trips me up as it feels very different from a Les Paul or a Strat. Even though upper fret access is excellent, I find myself getting lost on the fretboard when playing higher up than the 12th fret.

Other than that, the build quality is excellent, it sounds great and the top-mounted Floyd with D-Tuna works perfect!

With my experience, I believe the Wolfgang Standard's slab body with upper-arm cut (like a Strat) and a belly cut at the back will be more comfortable to play with.

Here is my Stealth:

fugazi20

Reaction score
Cool color. I love some of the different from typical colors they offer. This is cool and the stealth and metallic blue are other ones that I like.

tzd

Reaction score
I have had this one on order since July last year (SNAMM). It arrive here a week and a half ago. Awesome guitar. One of only 150 made and the only one in Australia. I cant recommend the EVH line enough...

Wow that is a long wait! Did you get to pick the top? I love the figuring on this one!

Dutchy5150

Reaction score
Tell me about it... Man it took forever... There was an over site here at the Fender Factory and it was sitting in the corner of their factory for a few month longer than it should of... The wait was worth it though... Because of the delay, they gave me a free EVH gig bag and EVH shirt. :)

Didn't get a say in the guitar. Whatever they sent is what I got. This one is nice though...

hbucker

Reaction score
They once came stock with the D-tuna. Not anymore?

I've had 3 guitars with D-tunas. Installed and used correctly, they shouldn't affect action in any way. :dunno:

Latest Threads