EVH dead at 65

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Reaction score
I hated the 70's with a few exceptions....Led Zep being one of them.

But it seemed soul less.
Fucking disco man.

One day in 78 I was walking down a street and heard the most amazing guitar work being pumped out of someone's home.

I knocked on the door and he showed me the album cover for this new band called Van Halen.
20 minutes later I was in the record store getting my copy.

It was like BANG........welcome to the 80's in all its guitar glory.

Fuck
RIP Eddie

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad day for rock...RIP

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Do you think the band VanHalen will actually retire ?

Or will they march on with Wolfie at the helm ??

Lemonburst R8

Reaction score
I hated the 70's with a few exceptions....Led Zep being one of them.

But it seemed soul less.
Fucking disco man.

One day in 78 I was walking down a street and heard the most amazing guitar work being pumped out of someone's home.

I knocked on the door and he showed me the album cover for this new band called Van Halen.
20 minutes later I was in the record store getting my copy.

It was like BANG........welcome to the 80's in all its guitar glory.

Fuck
RIP Eddie
Will never forget when I saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath back in '78. Eddie absolutely blew my mind!
saw that tour Nassau Collise

TheX

Cool story, bro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shortly after, 1984 was released, and I went to the show. It was mind blowing to me.
I saw that tour in LA, and DLR was pretty damn good. I saw the last tour and he sucked...but...Eddie was awesome every single time.

fett

Reaction score
Row 57 Seat 3. Floor. May 2012. I still have the ticket. Tacoma Dome. It was grand. I was close enough to see Eddie and he looked in fine shape. There were pics of him when he wasn't looking too healthy. It was good to see his comeback. RIP.

MiniB

Reaction score
Yeah I'm all whacked out....it's one thing to lose your guitar hero back when SRV passed, but EVH is an icon of my youth. Just puts things into a weird perspective.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
Saw them twice. Once in 1982. That concert is on yoottoob (largo, md). I saw them again on that Monsters of Rock tour in 87?/88?. VH, Scorpions, Kingdom Come, Dokken, Metallica. etc.

He wasn't the guy who inspired me to take up the guitar, nor a major influence on my style- but he damned sure made me want to go out and grab my guitar and play every time I heard HIM play.

And I loved the vocal harmonies. Beach Boys for a new generation.

dave b

Reaction score
I have great memories of listening to the first album in 78/79. Usually it was Mike, Randy and I sitting in Randy's room smoking dope and rattling the windows of the house we all rented rooms in. To a guy who was barely past cowboy chords back then, the guitar work was :wow::shock::run:. RIP, Ed

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catch as catch

Catch as catch

Can anybody see......

The walls and halls of my life's soundtracks are crumbling around me ever more quickly. EVH was a main pillar of so much of GUITAR exploration.

Little Guitars?

NOPE! HUGE ones in Guitar Heaven! Tear it up. Tickets are probably already on sale there!

Thank you for all those ROCKIN tunes!!

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads