EVH dead at 65

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
I follow Bernie Marsden on Facebook and this is a statement he put on his page;

Donington Park, 1984 - AC/DC were headlining and Van Halen, Ozzy, Gary Moore and Y&T were also all on the bill. I was there as a guest that year, seeing and hanging out with some mates, Gary Moore being my closest friend on the bill.

Gary had played his set and had been received royally as the true guitar hero he was. I told him I really wanted to go and watch Van Halen from the side of the stage, and told him to come and join me. Neither of us had seen Eddie playing live before, but I was so excited to see him play, gushing about his ability. Gary was obviously aware of the Van Halen records, and slightly reluctantly agreed to join me. I told him that I thought Eddie was the modern equivalent of Eric Clapton - his guitar style was being absorbed and obsessed over by a whole new generation of guitarists. Just like Eric did for us. Gary didn’t seem so sure!

We took our places side stage and within a few moments Gary was transported. His mouth opening wider in awe, “Bern, I had no idea he was THIS good!”

That’s how good Eddie Van Halen was, folks - take it from Gary Moore.

Thank you EVH - you reinvented what it was to be a guitar hero

BM❤

Screenshot_20201007-134513_Facebook.jpg

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started learning how to play guitar in the mid to late 80s, when the hair metal movement was in full swing. They were all VH clones in some form or another. All of it was horrible IMO, none of them had going on what EVH had...

The only finger tapper 80s guitar player that was original to my ears was Randy Rhoads.

When I discovered what he was doing I was so jazzed, but then realized that if you used it you'd sound like Eddie, and Eddie was doing stuff so he didn't sound like everyone else, so those Eddieisms got shelved. I did use the fretting behind the left hand with the right and fretting above during a bend as stunt guitar tricks. Later I heard guys who found ways to do things without sounding like EVH.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He couldn’t get it to work without the switch so he got it working and shoved it in the middle pickup.

I haven’t watched MTV in decades but have had MTV Classic on since yesterday. Nothing but VH videos.

That was Eddie just playing with us. If you look it's not connected to anything.

BKS

Reaction score
I've known about the throat cancer for a long time, but Valerie mentioned lung cancer in her tribute. It makes sense, but still a total shame. Got my dad at almost exactly the same age.
My dad passed close to his 65 bday. Lungcancer from smoking. He never stopped, at the end we just let him. This was 27 years ago...
Edwards cancer had spread to his lungs brain and other organs. I just hope he was at ease and not in pain. Horrible disease....

fry

Reaction score
Watching Rick Beato's tribute
I saw the video he quickly put together just to talk about it for a few minutes. Rick looked positively shaken to the core, and I knew exactly what he was feeling.

fry

Reaction score
I just hope he was at ease and not in pain.
Sadly, I read today that the cancer spread pretty rapidly, and that he was in particularly bad pain for the last couple weeks. Fucking cancer...

• Sad
Reactions: BKS

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I see a red guitar with stripes of white and black
a simple volume knob, a homemade super strat,.
I see a PAF, and locking tremelo,
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes...

BKS

Reaction score
Sadly, I read today that the cancer spread pretty rapidly, and that he was in particularly bad pain for the last couple weeks. Fucking cancer...

I remember the pain my dad was in, horrible to see him is such pain and you can't do a thing... :(
As for my dad, Edwards dead was a release. It is okay, better for him. Just not for family and even fans etc but for him.... The best thing in the end.
RIP Edward het gaat je goed nu je geen pijn meer hebt.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I was never a fan of EVH. But I had MAD respect for what he did. The tapping, on top of the trem work.... no one had done that before. I consider Eddie the modern version of Les Paul. There were players who were better technically, but they both had the tricks to make everything they did sparkle in a way that no one else could have done. He'll be missed, and revered for the neck 100 years.

Mike J.

Reaction score
I am heartbroken! My room was full of EVH posters and I remember hearing Eruption for the first time, not understanding what was going on, but knowing I wanted to play that :) Pictures say more than words, therefore I made a little video, remembering one of my big heroes.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
When Van Halen 1 was first on the radio it was like he fell out of a spaceship. Total game changer. I'd put him up there with Hendrix for changing the way people played guitar. Not just the tapping, but the overall approach, and he was an incredible rhythm player which often gets overlooked. RIP Eddie, and thanks for all the inspiring playing...

fry

Reaction score
I was happy to read that Sammy Hagar said he and Eddie had reconnected after all. Sammy had said their last tour was a nightmare, and they hadn’t spoken since. Sammy said he sent Eddie a happy birthday wish on Twitter a couple years ago, and did not get a response. He came out yesterday and said that they actually had reconnected earlier this year, and had been very friendly toward each other.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew pretty tired of his solos after the first few records but his rhythm playing always grabbed me. Then again Eddie, Alex and Mike were an incredible backing band for Dave and Sammy (that’s a high complement)

And those three had their own unique sound.

This to me is a very un-VH song that sounds uniquely VH just from the bass, backing vocals, drums and those great chords and fills.

guitar_randy

Reaction score
He was a talented player. Not really a fan of most of his music, but cant deny his talent and achievements he accomplished

redking

Reaction score
I was never a fan of EVH. But I had MAD respect for what he did. The tapping, on top of the trem work.... no one had done that before. I consider Eddie the modern version of Les Paul. There were players who were better technically, but they both had the tricks to make everything they did sparkle in a way that no one else could have done. He'll be missed, and revered for the neck 100 years.
There are 2 types of guitar players: Those who love EVH and are inspired to learn how to do all or some of those wild guitar pyrotechnics on their own, and there are those who ALSO love EVH and realize "I couldn't do that if I practiced my whole life on it!" and decide to go their own way. I'm person #2. But I'm gonna learn a VH song this winter if it kills me - lol!

jkes01

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of new people are being exposed to his music with album sales up 6000%. That’s freaking awesome, his legacy will surely live on!

My neighbor and guitar playing buddy, was saying he would love to hear some of the studio stuff that never was released. Eddie just noodling and capturing ideas.

Ed talks about that catalog in a video I posted in the other thread. Lost the hard drive that had the catalog, hundreds of tapes now uncatalogued. Would love to have the job of listening to all of it. Unfortunately, Ed was the only one who knows what all that stuff is and when it was recorded. I’m still in shock he is no longer with us.

Anyway, here’s the video from inside 5150.

Latest Threads