EVH 5150 III 50w Head - How is the tone for Home Volumes?

yell03

Reaction score
I am just about to pull the trigger on a new amp, torn between the EVH 5150 III 50w head or the Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII head.

I want a good amp, no more mid-level amps, I want a keeper.

I am leaning towards the EVH as it is smaller.

Since I am mainly a Home player with the occasional jam thrown in, low volume tone is important to me.

How is the EVH at low volume.

I currently have a Peavey 6505 MH and it excels at low volume.

I will run either amp through my Orange PPC112 cab.

Other amps in the running are the Orange OR15 and TH30.

wyldewyatt

Reaction score
Why not get the 5150 III combo comes in 1x12 or 2x12 with built in power soak can go from 50w down to 1w and anywhere in between

dspelman

Reaction score
I am just about to pull the trigger on a new amp, torn between the EVH 5150 III 50w head or the Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII head.
Since I am mainly a Home player, low volume tone is important to me.

<*Glances around, furtively*>

You're kidding, right? :shock:

dspelman

Reaction score
Why not get the 5150 III combo comes in 1x12 or 2x12 with built in power soak can go from 50w down to 1w and anywhere in between

We should stack a WHOLE BUNCH of expensive stuff against a wall and then add some more expensive stuff so that we can dial it down to where we can listen to it on a set of four buck earbuds.

Cause we might jam.

:cool:

yell03

Reaction score
<*Glances around, furtively*>

You're kidding, right? :shock:

We should stack a WHOLE BUNCH of expensive stuff against a wall and then add some more expensive stuff so that we can dial it down to where we can listen to it on a set of four buck earbuds.

Cause we might jam.

:cool:

Same reason I have two FAST cars, on the street I can't open them up, but the power still feels great and then when I get to go to the track, FUN!!!

However, I do see your point from a practical side, why spend $1000-$2000 to choke it down when maybe a $500-$1000 amp will sound as good at lower volumes.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a 5150 iii 50 watt head....like I said in a different thread, the clean is clean and neutral....blue and red channels are always pissed off. Great sounding, tight, polished, good gain variations....but aggressive. Sounds great at low volume despite being 50 watts.....very good that you have a 1x12 too, that helps.
If you're not looking for another metal amp though....I'd strongly consider a Reason Bambino Grande head.....one of the first makers of lower wattage amps that can crank but also sound great at lower levels. The maker of these amps has done a lot with these amps to sound big and cranked at low master volume levels....here's a quick demo, yes head version is available.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmV1gjZL-b8

yell03

Reaction score
I have a 5150 iii 50 watt head....like I said in a different thread, the clean is clean and neutral....blue and red channels are always pissed off. Great sounding, tight, polished, good gain variations....but aggressive. Sounds great at low volume despite being 50 watts.....very good that you have a 1x12 too, that helps.
If you're not looking for another metal amp though....I'd strongly consider a Reason Bambino Grande head.....one of the first makers of lower wattage amps that can crank but also sound great at lower levels. The maker of these amps has done a lot with these amps to sound big and cranked at low master volume levels....here's a quick demo, yes head version is available.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmV1gjZL-b8

The 5150 III sounds so similar to my 6505 MH, I am actually looking at the Classic 20 MH, less aggressive and nice cleans.
The Classic 20 MH in vids sounds great and actually has the right amount of gain for me.
It would be a nice complement to the 6505 MH.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The 5150 III sounds so similar to my 6505 MH, I am actually looking at the Classic 20 MH, less aggressive and nice cleans.
The Classic 20 MH in vids sounds great and actually has the right amount of gain for me.

It certainly would be a nice compliment to the 6505 MH. I have the VK II MH, that sits between them, sort of. It also has a really great clean, and actually goes to where you want for dirt, hitting classic Rock and 80s-90s metal. I didn't recco it in the other thread, because it does sound similar to the 6505, with a little different bottom end tone/feel and a little less/different mid emphasis/curve.

Didn't recco the Classic 20, because, well, you seemed against another Peavey. And, you were talking a certain price pt.

IF your now considering the Classic 20 MH, then you might want to look at the Egnater Heads.

Tweaker 15 has Steller cleans, and a different dirt than you have, coming from 6V6 power section. No Power soaking etc, but it was designed for low level play good tone.

Rebel 30 Mk II - Variable watt 1-30, variable mix of all 6v6 or all el84, or any mix of the two. 2 Channel.

yell03

Reaction score
It certainly would be a nice compliment to the 6505 MH. I have the VK II MH, that sits between them, sort of. It also has a really great clean, and actually goes to where you want for dirt, hitting classic Rock and 80s-90s metal. I didn't recco it in the other thread, because it does sound similar to the 6505, with a little different bottom end tone.

Didn't recco the Classic 20, because, well, you seemed against another Peavey. And, you were talking a certain price pt.

IF your now considering the Classic 20 MH, then you might want to look at the Egnater Heads.

Tweaker 15 has Steller cleans, and a different dirt than you have, coming from 6V6 power section. No Power soaking etc, but it was designed for low level play good tone.

Rebel 30 Mk II - Variable watt 1-30, variable mix of all 6v6 or all el84, or any mix of the two. 2 Channel.

I've owned the Tweaker 15 & 40 and a Rebel 20.

If I went that route I'd go with a 40, if I recall it was a little short of the gain I needed.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've owned the Tweaker 15 & 40 and a Rebel 20.

If I went that route I'd go with a 40, if I recall it was a little short of the gain I needed.

I've only had the Tweaker 15 and tried the Rebel 30. So, couldn't speak on the 40 or rebel 20 from experience.

Another to look at are the Laney Ironheart Series. IRT15 Studio is rack unit, tube, with reamping and 1 watt mode, emulated out or not, Headphone with emulated. 60 Head, is full size, but also does the variable watt thing. Now your in 3 channel territory for both. Both have really nice clean channel. a crunch and Lead, that to my ears lie between that 6505 area and Orange dirt. I have the IRT Studio, tried the big 60w.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I forgot, had the rebel 30 also.:D

Go check the vids on the Laneys, see what you think. My IRT Studio is built almost as well as the Orange OR15, and better built and components than the Peavey.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

They will sound "similar" but that's it. The 6L6's and big iron will put you in an entirely different ballpark. Much more of a defined grind, way bigger and tighter low end, way more open sounding. People here and there talking about "circuits" and stuff....tubes matter, tube types matter.

Trust me, check out this amp. Check this link. This is a profound step above the new Peavey stuff, does not sound "flat", "sterile", "fizzy", "solid state", "overly compressed" etc. All those terms you hear people use to describe entry level tube amps.
Reason is super high quality USA made stuff. A lifetime kind of amp for under a grand.
Reason Bambino Grande Amplifier Head or Combo Amp - Reason Amplifier Company, LLC.

yell03

Reaction score
They will sound "similar" but that's it. The 6L6's and big iron will put you in an entirely different ballpark. Much more of a defined grind, way bigger and tighter low end, way more open sounding. People here and there talking about "circuits" and stuff....tubes matter, tube types matter.

Trust me, check out this amp. Check this link. This is a profound step above the new Peavey stuff, does not sound "flat", "sterile", "fizzy", "solid state", "overly compressed" etc. All those terms you hear people use to describe entry level tube amps.
Reason is super high quality USA made stuff. A lifetime kind of amp for under a grand.
Reason Bambino Grande Amplifier Head or Combo Amp - Reason Amplifier Company, LLC.

I will do the 5150 III over the Reason if I do anything.

My thought is...

If I buy the Classic 20 and like it I can then flip the 6505 MH and buy the 5150 III and have it all.

Mordor

Reaction score
I remember playing a 5150III 50w at a reharsal through a 1960ax. Tried it with the master on 3, 5, and 1ish. Don't remember much, but I do remember it had all the gain I could ever ask for, and that I really liked it (on all volume settings). It's a metal amp, but it will do rock very well. At this price range, I think it's one of the best options, as far as mass-produced amps are concerned, at least.

yell03

Reaction score
I remember playing a 5150III 50w at a reharsal through a 1960ax. Tried it with the master on 3, 5, and 1ish. Don't remember much, but I do remember it had all the gain I could ever ask for, and that I really liked it (on all volume settings). It's a metal amp, but it will do rock very well. At this price range, I think it's one of the best options, as far as mass-produced amps are concerned, at least.

I agree with that

Latest Threads