Ever see a modern repro ABR collapse?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You have now. It's gotta be a defective Faber. I was running it with EB .10s and did nothing unusual that would have caused this. So strange.

1669494653622.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
@CerebralGasket posted a modern bridge that was also sagging.
Not this badly though.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a Nashville bridge collapse on me one time, it was a on a 75 LP.

Nick-O

Reaction score
That's a shame about the bridge.
I'd have never thought that with Faber for some reason.
Those are some nice wide saddles on there though.

DavGrape

Night of the Lepus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it slept under a lumber pile.

ARandall

Reaction score
I think that while the purity of metals these days is WAY higher, the inherent nature of Zamak is not all that strong. So if there is the odd unit that gets slightly poorly formed (which is sort of a given really statistically speaking) then it will be not that better than any other vintage bridge.

And for all its supposed 'advantages', the modern execution of the Nashville bridge is, as can be seen from the above photos, almost more likely to sag than the ABR it replaced (for that express purpose).

jbash

Reaction score
I had a Gotoh ABR collapse on a newish MIJ Tokai about 15 years or so ago.

JMP

Reaction score
That’s a bummer. I suppose it’s likely defective in some way. Gotta think Faber will treat you right.

But definitely an inconvenience!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a thing for older MIJ guitars and have had many a bridge collapse. I'm actually more surprised if it hasn't on a 70s or 80s guitar. I just assume when I buy one that it probably needs a bridge.

javacody

Reaction score
I think that while the purity of metals these days is WAY higher, the inherent nature of Zamak is not all that strong. So if there is the odd unit that gets slightly poorly formed (which is sort of a given really statistically speaking) then it will be not that better than any other vintage bridge.

And for all its supposed 'advantages', the modern execution of the Nashville bridge is, as can be seen from the above photos, almost more likely to sag than the ABR it replaced (for that express purpose).
Faber bridges should be aluminum with brass and/or titanium saddles depending on the model.

VancoD

Reaction score
wow - that looks like someone stood on it!

theresstrange

Reaction score
Well, now it's an accurate reissue.LOL A lot of '50's ABR bridges suffered collapses. Also the studs had a tendency to warp as well, hence the double thumbwheels under the bridge on many LP's from the time.

DBDM

Reaction score
Should be covered under Gibson Warranty. Give them a call or email.

torepelghosts

Reaction score
More than the bridge, the problem in my opinion is the installation of the strings in the stoptail. If you don't use the wrap over method it is better to raise the stoptail so that the pressure is not excessive and cause collapse. After all, even modern Zamak is still a not too hard alloy.

octavedoctor

Reaction score
You have now. It's gotta be a defective Faber. I was running it with EB .10s and did nothing unusual that would have caused this. So strange.

View attachment 652058
You aren’t on your own. I had this on one of Van Morrison’s guitars. I think it was a mid 90s LP Standard. I remember it was a tomato splat sunburst with gold hardware. Underneath the gold plating the metal they use is junk. Just pressure of the case will do it over a long period.

rifraf50

Reaction score
if your gentle you can press them back...try wrapping the strings around the tail....less downwards presure ...

Latest Threads