Ever Put Old Pickups in a New Les Paul?

ns2a

Reaction score
Anyone ever do this?

i see a lot of YouTube videos where they compare a vintage Les Paul to a newer one with boutique pickups. But not the other way around.

Say you have a 2019 Standard and put some 50's original PAF's in. How close to a "vintage" '59 tone can you get?

Seems much cheaper? :)

FWIW, I'm thinking of putting a vintage PAF in the bridge of my 2019 Standard or a vintage P90 in my 2019 Special.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I have a set of early mid 70s double cream DiMarzios and am waiting for the right Les Paul guitar for them.
I'm doing the same thing. I have 2 sets of Jimmy Page pickups - from ECP and Rewind - and have yet to install them.

Feel free to shame me.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I put PAFs in a new (old growth) replica and was thoroughly underwhelmed - but I'm pretty sure it was the pickups, not the instrument itself.
Legit PAFs? Nice. or maybe not.

On one of Joe Bonamassa Instagram posts, He said that not all of the vintage guitars are great guitars. Some are just old and valuable. He tries to keep those stock. The great players, he will refret and tweak if needed, and play them.

NotScott

Reaction score
I would never pay big bucks for PAFs when there are so many good replicas available at affordable prices. However, I did put a set of 1952 P90s into my R5 but only because the P90s weren't silly priced. And yes, they made a positive difference in the guitar compared to the stock Gibbys.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Check YouTube. More than a few people have done it.

Wow, that was great ... it sounds like R8 from 2016 which may be why i love it more than my other Historics.

That guitar in that video has good compression sound with scooped mids that I like often described as "Smooth" pickups.

Niloy63

Reaction score
On one of Joe Bonamassa Instagram posts, He said that not all of the vintage guitars are great guitars. Some are just old and valuable.
Sorry for gettin off topic, but I really admire that dude. JB has his shit together and I respect his knowledge and appreciation for his vintage gear. I don’t understand the hate he gets. Even if you happen to not like his playing, it should be pretty set in stone amongst guitarists that this dude is a premiere talent in the world of guitar. Keyboard warriors, man... there’s a legion of them out there.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Buying original pafs maybe cheaper than buying an original les paul... But I don't think many people would consider that "cheap" or very feasible for that matter.
It's all relative.

On one hand, a person could buy a pretty decent guitar and amp for the cost of a single PAF and get to making some music.

On the other hand, many guys own at least a handful of $4k+ guitars and $3k+ amps but will still scoff at the idea of spending $2k on a vintage pickup for some reason.

NotScott

Reaction score
On the other hand, many guys own at least a handful of $4k+ guitars and $3k+ amps but will still scoff at the idea of spending $2k on a vintage pickup for some reason.
I am one of those guys that owns more than a handful of $4K guitars and amps and although I don't scoff at anyone for spending $2K or more on PAFs, I am not spending $2k on pickups when guys like you and others are winding pups that sound just as good, if not better, through my vintage amps. :thumbs:

Niloy63

Reaction score
I am one of those guys that owns more than a handful of $4K guitars and amps and although I don't scoff at anyone for spending $2K or more on PAFs, I am not spending $2k on pickups when guys like you and others are winding pups that sound just as good, if not better, through my vintage amps. :thumbs:
I undoubtedly understand that a guitar works as a “greater than the sum of its parts” machine in defining its tone and playability. I could be wrong, but out of all the parts, aren’t the pickups THE most responsible part that defines the tone? Other than the amp, of course.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
I put a set of '56 P90s in my '77 Deluxe Pro. Livened that guitar right up, to say the least.

My R8 is now loaded with a set of ECP Hallowed Grounds. I've no experience with anything older than my stock '72 Custom, but the R8 with ECPHGs certainly scratches my itch the right way..

NotScott

Reaction score
I undoubtedly understand that a guitar works as a “greater than the sum of its parts” machine in defining its tone and playability. I could be wrong, but out of all the parts, aren’t the pickups THE most responsible part that defines the tone? Other than the amp, of course.
I think they are a very big part of the tonal equation but there are many other considerations and really, some of the modern PAF clones offered today really do sound great. That being said:

if the guitar is dull and lifeless with dead spots and no sustain when unplugged, no pickups will wake it up.
if you put your $2K PAFs in a guitar with 300K pots, don't expect to find the magic.
if you put those same PAFs in a harness using modern wiring, you won't find it there either.
if you use bright, 9 gauge strings and looking for that old-school honk, your PAFs may disappoint.
if you use so much gain that your pups squeal like little girls at a boy band show, you definitely don't want PAFs.
if the stage floor in front of you looks like a NASA control room, does it even matter what pickups you use then?

I would argue the players hands are the greatest tone generator but that tends to start a poo flinging contest. :io:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry for gettin off topic, but I really admire that dude. JB has his shit together and I respect his knowledge and appreciation for his vintage gear. I don’t understand the hate he gets. Even if you happen to not like his playing, it should be pretty set in stone amongst guitarists that this dude is a premiere talent in the world of guitar. Keyboard warriors, man... there’s a legion of them out there.
I will agree that JB has a great understanding and appreciation of gear,... still not a fan though.

Billy Gibbons also has a great understanding and appreciation of gear,..... and a fantastic attitude,.... I love and enjoy everything he does.

Just my off topic opinion. ;)

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may get shot for this amigo,..... THE most responsible part of any tone is in the FINGERS......... There... i said it.

:rofl: