Ever notice how one person's guitar style realy effects a guitars tone?

v8ko

Reaction score
Ya mimicing isnt realy what I ment. Its the sounds that one person can get out of a note that seems to come naturally vs someone else playing the same note. I wasnt trying to be a smartass with my comment on what kinda feedback I was expecting. I was making fun of myself. I guess it came out wrong. Im really sorry.

ha you and I are being so PC with each other these days.

Im in agreement with you. My understanding is that Hendrix was a studio musician that could play every type of music, he understood all the rules and thats why he could break them and sound so fresh.

This is why I encourage musicians to join any kind of band, the experience and knowledge you gain is very useful.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
I might could qualify for a mentaly handicap plate due to my terrible computer skills, I realy dont now how I made it this far.
Don't sweat it, brother. Believe me, no one's perfect here...well, there are a few people. :laugh2:
It's an interesting and insightful topic, for this guitard (me) anyway.

:thumb:

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe you qualify for a handicap plate, think of all the concerts you can go to and park up front :)

Had a friend who lost a leg in a silo accident he always drove to big events lol.

Actually, I can see all the flashing lights they ask me to see at the DMV, so apparently, as far as Arkansas is concerned, I have "good enough" vision. :laugh2:

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
I think I realy started branching out about 11 years ago. I was tierd of playing the same stuff so I put down the electric guitar and started following bluegrass and folk, then realy started writing my own stuff. I never left the house without my guitar. I went and hung out with al kinds of musicians from blue grass, metal, to classic rock players, to deadheads and hippies. I notice that my guitar style is a mixture of all of that stuff. I experamented with all kinds of alternate tunnings as well.

This all realy helped me alot to become a better player. I still wish I was better than I am. I dont feel as intemadated by other players as much anymore Im more confident now. I still am open to learning from people even beginers. Everybody has something to teach that will help you along the way. I never try to pretend I am the best cause I know im not by a long shot, but I do enjoy being respected as a guitar player it is a nice reward for all the hard work I have put in over the years. I never have liked real cocky players. Its not a good quality to have especially in a artform that has so many diffrent styles.

v8ko

Reaction score
One of my biggest breakthroughs was when I started to teach guitar. Man I was back at the basics and it improved my playing lol. I wish was still doing guitar lessons but its very time consuming. My old students still ask when Im going to start up again : )

Having a good amp and tone is very important to start off with. Trying to improve your sound playing through a bunch of junk is possible but not for the masses.

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
A good amp is a must have. Alot of people think its all the guitar, but without a good amp a good guitar wont do it alone. My cousin came over and played guitar with me today. He had a new SG G-400 shiped to my house today. (He didnt want his girlfriend to know he splurged on a new guitar, thats why he shiped it to my house)

I let him play through my fender amp and I played through a little crate I got from a friend who gave up playing. I plan on giving the crate to my nephew with a 3/4 Ibanez guitar for x-mas. Anyway that amp sucked trying to play along with him on my fender. It was all I could do to get that thing to sound good. The bass, middle, and treble hardly made any one change no matter where I had them dialed too.

If that amp had not been free I wouldn't evn give it to my 6 year old nephew. Bad tone can discourage you from playing. I learned that big time from playing acoustic for so many years. I hate bad tone that is another big factor in personal sound and style for sure. I think learning how to dial in an amp takes some skill as well. Its alot if trial and error.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Me and my brother have the same thing, I pick up a guitar and it sounds great, he picks it up and it's not so great. But then again he doesn't really play just collects gear.
Which means in addition to all my crap I also have all of his gear to use as well.

EtriX

Reaction score
I think I've seen a sum up of this thread.
Tone is in the fingers, and sluts are cool.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
some of you sound like old school marms

marm.jpg

Hamtone

Reaction score
My uncle has the "knack" for tone and he doesnt play with a pick of any sort. I personally believe it is all in the string hand. Tone is in the callus's and nuances of the bends and movement as well as the natural rhythm of the player. Everyone has their own cadence to their style.

I use a pick and switch with my fingers. I have stole a lot of his licks but they dont sound much like his at all, they sound good but not like his. We both use a string block technique in our picking, but it still sounds different.

I also digress that he has a true knack to get another players feel and vibe. When we play we play in his studio room that has a computer. I will suggest a song and play it out then he brings up the original song from you tube, and nails most everything note for note in the matter of a couple of minutes and it will sound like whoever the artist is. I really hate him...LOL

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My pals, Scott Kay and The Continentals were playing a local club one night. Local blues artist, Melissa Neels was in the audience, and was invited up on stage to play a song. Rob Guth, the 'other' guitarist in the band offered his Fernandes 'Telecaster-style' guitar. She is a Strat-slinger, but with a couple of knob-twiddles, she had that Tele sounding more like a Strat than I have ever heard!

Latest Threads