Ever notice how one person's guitar style realy effects a guitars tone?

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
Someone mentioned something like this in another thread. He said he wondered how one guy could pick up a guitar and realy make it sing and someone else could play the sam thing and it sound thin and weak. That made me think, ya know that is true I like to think that I have my own distinct guitar sound due to the fact that I have 20 years under my belt and over the years have a sound that I developed from all that I have learned.

I remember the first band I was ever in, there were 3 of us that played guitar. It was a sothern rock band and I came from a metal background. One of the guitarist had a real country southern rock sound.I loved it but I just could never get his sound down. He wasnt the best guitar player, but he had a realy cool sound. My style was more bluesy and fast, cause I had always tried to play like Jimmy page. He comming from a country background made his lead style more country sounding, that fit great with southern rock. I have heard guys that can shred power chords and sweep picking and arepegios, but dont realy have any personal sound when it comes to improvising a solo or writing songs, they just sound realy technical. I am not saying that those guys who focus on that kinda playing arent good, and that goes for other types of playing as well. This is just a quik example of alot of people I have observed, most of them guys who have only been playing for a couple of years, or only like one particular style of music.

You realy got to study all types of music before you can develope a realy personal sound. I think that when you develop your own sound you learn how to manipulate the full potential of a guitar with more feeling. you realy learn how to bend strings or hit harmonics just right to get the tone you want to acheive. Some guys have it and some guys just havnt got it yet. Some people never get it you have to realy have a passion for guitar to realy voice your moods and feelings through your music.It comes with time, once you have compiled all kinds off diffrent styles into your own. Hope this made sence and sorry for any spelling and punctuation errors. Im only tryin to explain my opinions on this subject so that I dont sound like a guitar sob.

BUDOKAI

Reaction score
please use shorter paragraphs instead of a huge jumble of word, thanks.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
This kinda feed back was what I was trying to avoid. I was hoping to post an intresting topic without getting a lesson in creative writing.:D I will try to do better next time. I was affraid It would look a little jumbled.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I think that a player who has "found him style" will sound largely the same on any guitar. I sound terrible - but like "me" - all the time. :thumb:

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I sound like me on any guitar I play...

Which is to say, I sound bad. :rofl:

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
I tried to fix it so it wouldnt looked so jumbled, but it didnt work. Sorry.

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
This kinda feed back was what I was trying to avoid. I was hoping to post an intresting topic without getting a lesson in creative writing.:D I will try to do better next time. I was affraid It would look a little jumbled.

Its just the lack of paragraphs made it hard to read.

You're right though. Each player develops a unique style based on what they've learned and discovered etc etc.

:thumb:

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I tried to fix it so it wouldnt looked so jumbled, but it didnt work. Sorry.

Just go through and every few sentences hit the enter button twice.

That's what I do, whether I'm starting a new thought or not...

Some of our forum goers have trouble with large paragraphs.

:laugh2::laugh2:

v8ko

Reaction score
Someone mentioned something like this in another thread. He said he wondered how one guy could pick up a guitar and realy make it sing and someone else could play the sam thing and it sound thin and weak. That made me think, ya know that is true I like to think that I have my own distinct guitar sound due to the fact that I have 20 years under my belt and over the years have a sound that I developed from all that I have learned.

I remember the first band I was ever in, there were 3 of us that played guitar. It was a sothern rock band and I came from a metal background. One of the guitarist had a real country southern rock sound.I loved it but I just could never get his sound down. He wasnt the best guitar player, but he had a realy cool sound. My style was more bluesy and fast, cause I had always tried to play like Jimmy page. He comming from a country background made his lead style more country sounding, that fit great with southern rock.

I have heard guys that can shred power chords and sweep picking and arepegios, but dont realy have any personal sound when it comes to improvising a solo or writing songs, they just sound realy technical. I am not saying that those guys who focus on that kinda playing arent good, and that goes for other types of playing as well. This is just a quik example of alot of people I have observed, most of them guys who have only been playing for a couple of years, or only like one particular style of music.

You realy got to study all types of music before you can develope a realy personal sound. I think that when you develop your own sound you learn how to manipulate the full potential of a guitar with more feeling. you realy learn how to bend strings or hit harmonics just right to get the tone you want to acheive. Some guys have it and some guys just havnt got it yet. Some people never get it you have to realy have a passion for guitar to realy voice your moods and feelings through your music.It comes with time, once you have compiled all kinds off diffrent styles into your own. Hope this made sence and sorry for any spelling and punctuation errors. Im only tryin to explain my opinions on this subject so that I dont sound like a guitar sob.

This better? Just copy and paste the above portion over your original post.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm blind... It just makes it too hard to see with what little vision I have left in my "good" eye. Which incidentally is my right eye.:shock:

v8ko

Reaction score
Id say the biggest contributing factor to your tone is in the fingers and plectrum use. Most guys can mimic someones tech but thats not the point is it.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm blind... It just makes it too hard to see with what little vision I have left in my "good" eye. Which incidentally is my right eye.:shock:

wellthenthishsouldbereallyhardforyoutoreadbecauseitwillallruntogetherandyouwillpoopyourpantstryingtodecipheritlikeitwaschineseorsomecraplikethat.
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I know the feeling really, I had pinkeye in my good eye a few months ago, I had to walk around with barely any vision besides the peripheral in my right eye.

My right eye is actually blind right in the center.

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
Ya mimicing isnt realy what I ment. Its the sounds that one person can get out of a note that seems to come naturally vs someone else playing the same note. I wasnt trying to be a smartass with my comment on what kinda feedback I was expecting. I was making fun of myself. I guess it came out wrong. Im really sorry.

v8ko

Reaction score
wellthenthishsouldbereallyhardforyoutoreadbecauseitwillallruntogetherandyouwillpoopyourpantstryingtodecipheritlikeitwaschineseorsomecraplikethat.
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I know the feeling really, I had pinkeye in my good eye a few months ago, I had to walk around with barely any vision besides the peripheral in my right eye.

My right eye is actually blind right in the center.

Maybe you qualify for a handicap plate, think of all the concerts you can go to and park up front :)

Had a friend who lost a leg in a silo accident he always drove to big events lol.

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe you qualify for a handicap plate, think of all the concerts you can go to and park up front :)

Had a friend who lost a leg in a silo accident he always drove to big events lol.

I might could qualify for a mentaly handicap plate due to my terrible computer skills, I realy dont now how I made it this far.

Latest Threads