Ever had “sunk cost fallacy” on a Les Paul?

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Ever convince yourself you bought a great guitar, when you actually purchased an “ok” guitar, or worse?

Or maybe you keep upgrading a guitar trying to make it great, only to later realize It just doesn’t work for you, and never did?

I was thinking how easy this can be when you buy an instrument for thousands. Everyone likes to think they got a special one, that’s not like the rest. My Les Pauls are great....for me. But I can only compare them to ones from the guitar center wall. Which in my experience are just garbage, mostly due to poor setup and bone-dry fretboards.

If you have a story about the time you bought an expensive axe, and convinced yourself it was great when it wasn’t, I want to hear it.

monty john

Reaction score
Yeah quite a few...used to buy Les Paul's for the top or looks color etc..."look at the top on this one" some are fkn dogs..... I had some real dogs looking back...now I have an ugly one mismatched top and it kills the pretty ones I used to own....have a Japanese strat I paid 500bux for and its a great great guitar.....

The dogs i would swap pu's tuners etc.....looking back they were "dark" sounding guitars...I prefer bright sounding guitars

Same with amps....I was a Marshall man forever..now I have a Bogner Shiva and it kills great clean articulate dirt

dmac in SC

Reaction score
I have owned seven LP's spanning three decades, and until recently, the only one that is a lifetime keeper is my 98 studio. Turns out that I actually hate binding on the neck. I have bonded well with new 50's Goldtop, but it is not my favorite just yet..but I do love the P90s

I have an arsenal of Indonesia G&L's, that after set-up and electronic upgrades, kick the crap out of any Fenders I have ever had. It's all a matter of taste.

smk506

Reaction score
I think we’ve all experienced ‘sunk cost realization’ before a time or two... :laugh2: That’s part of the GAS game.

I had a real hankering for a Firebird growing up, I wanted a cherry red FirebirdIII, but those were limited to vintage pieces and reissues, too pricey. I finally found a cherry red VII at a local dealer, so I got it.

It was perfect!

For a year or so anyway. It was a real bitch hauling that around in its 2.5’x5’, 97 pound case on foot, plus I eventually got a real hankering for a les Paul. My guitar teacher had one, a mid 70’s black custom that was too dang cool... he wasn’t letting go of his though.

The Firebird no longer worked for me.

Off it goes, say hello to my ‘87 custom lite. Sleeker, lighter, easy to carry case. And it played like lightning and sounded like thunder, fantastic guitar. It was my most prominently used and favored guitar even after many NGDs for about 10 years or so.

Then one day I realized it didn’t work for me anymore, hadn’t for awhile actually. The lightning fast neck was just too slim for my tastes, it wasn’t getting played anymore and it was way too nice to sit in its easy to carry case while I lusted away over fat necked beauty’s.

Off it went.

I don’t often like selling guitars, but when I do it’s usually because it’s a great guitar that I’m confident I just won’t love again.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope,... never had that problem.

I learned very early on what I wanted to achieve in sound and playability.

I have never had to improve or change anything on a guitar unless it was for pure cosmetics...... in fact all my guitars still have their original electronics.... I have to be completely satisfied before laying down big bucks.

I did buy a 1984 Squier Strat that had no electronics for $50..... screwed on a EMG loaded pick guard..... and never changed a thing afterwards. That’s it.

Same with amps.... I haven’t bought one I didn’t think had a soul I couldn’t use.

I don’t chase tone..... I find it.

Last edited:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Yeah quite a few...used to buy Les Paul's for the top or looks color etc..."look at the top on this one" some are fkn dogs..
This is true for many people I have to believe.

The last 2 les Pauls I bought were sight unseen. They happened to show up with pretty tops and are great by my standards. But when I look at guitars on Sweetwater, for sure i can only judge by cosmetic factors.

I’m looking at how nice the tops are, how dark and uniform the rosewood is, if the back has obvious seems or the mahogany is streaky.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Sunk cost fallacy sounds dirty :laugh2: no,ive been happy so far it must suck to put lots of money into a guitar that does not suit you in the end.

MSB

Reaction score
if you can't get your money back, don't buy it -- has done me well over the years.

lots of dogs, a few GREAT ones, some in the middle. We as players change, several i hated at the time, I'd probably dig now, just because what i'm seeking has moved. If something doesn't float my boat, i move it on, plenty more fish in the sea, part of the game for me.

I see on here constantly, "don't sell, ever." Why would you keep something that doesn't get you motor revving?

but we see it all the time here, pay top dollar for a good looking guitar and then spend half that again chasing "it" because they paid what they paid, so it "must be great," or something along those lines.

dro

Reaction score
Guitars are like women.
There are some gorgeous ones out there. That you'd like to play and be seen with. But has always seemed to me. The plainer ones, are the ones you end up keeping long term.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
This post would be more appropriate in the true historic section but it wouldn't go over NEARLY as well, LMAO. Buncha lawyers

*nothing but respect, but when you spend that amount of money on something, you have to justify it to yourself. The dude in Pretty Woman is a perfect example, got the penthouse, most expensive, terrified of heights, because it was the best

Bottom line, of COURSE the guy who just paid Kim to replace his board with Brazilian Rosewood can "hear" and "feel" the difference...

**posted from the cheap seats with my Norlins

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Been lucky....has not happened to me yet. Now I do have my favorites and a couple of my Lesters get very little play time but they still will work nicely if called upon.

David Garner

Reaction score
Nope. I’m 2 for 2 on great Les Pauls. Bought the first sight unseen and the second was a trade with a buddy.

jbash

Reaction score
My first Les Paul- A Black Tux Custom.

Got it brand new in early 87- I think it was an 86 model, but possibly older as the store was huge and tons of stock. I traded in a 76 Bicentennial Explorer which was a monster guitar, but I wanted a Custom because of Robbo and Frampton. Gorgeous guitar, but within weeks I knew I had purchased a dog. I was convinced because it was a new Les Paul, and a CUSTOM, it would clearly be the superior guitar. Not the case.

I've had a couple of other I tried to convince myself were worth the $ I paid for it, but I was just BS'ing myself-

My Dean Custom Shop ML was a great playing , decent sounding, gorgeous guitar, but it was not nearly 4K fantastic (nearly 4K back in 2006, too). Way overpriced.

I've had a few USA PRS that were amazingly built, but just didn't have anything going for them otherwise- an 07 SC250, an 03 Custom 24, an 2010 core Starla.

As soon as I find myself with a band-aid guitar (constantly swapping pickups, hardware, harness, etc to mask/enhance deficiencies) I know better these days to just sell it. My best guitars have always been the ones where It sounded amazing right off the shelf and the only reason I *may* change the pickups is because it's a tweak to get the guitar into my personal taste area- not a band-aid. IOW- never had a pickup swap turn a guitar from "meh" to fantastic-only prolong it's time in my possession.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 11th Les Paul. Most were good, some were very good, a select few were excellent. I think the whole "dog" thing is overblown, largely because so many players are enamored with brightness when it comes to tone. There are lots of great sounding, darker LPs out there. Doesn't mean they're dogs.

I've spent some money flipping gear, yes, but I see it as the cost of getting to play it all.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
My Dean Custom Shop ML was a great playing , decent sounding, gorgeous guitar, but it was not nearly 4K fantastic (nearly 4K back in 2006, too). Way overpriced.
What finish? MLs are my favorite guitars after les pauls. I’ve never had the balls to spend money on a USA dean.

The custom shop is putting out 100 of these “rust from hell” MLs. On pre-order now for like $4,600. Ouch. Looks great though.

jbash

Reaction score
What finish? MLs are my favorite guitars after les pauls. I’ve never had the balls to spend money on a USA dean.
Custom color for Carlino= Magentaburst. It was actually a bit more purple in person. My buddy named the guitar Barney, and it became the Barney Burst
tcml2.jpg

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Yes no matter how good I think I am, I get caught up in the excitement.
Takes a few months to know if it's any good.
Or not.
1983 Custom, awesome guitar Tim Shaw neck, '68 paf in the bridge, swapped out the 100k pots for 500k and it was glorious. 14lbs though got to me eventually.
Sold it. Bought a 2003 335. Butiful guitar. Tone - tick, appointments - tick, noodle neck - tick. That thing went out of tune lookin at it sideways.
Sold it and bought a 1976 Tele. Frets worn to buggery but such a sweet tone from the neck, middle and bridge. Neck shape is the best I've had, in the process of getting a refret.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Yes no matter how good I think I am, I get caught up in the excitement.
Takes a few months to know if it's any good.
Or not.
1983 Custom, awesome guitar Tim Shaw neck, '68 paf in the bridge, swapped out the 100k pots for 500k and it was glorious. 14lbs though got to me eventually.
Sold it. Bought a 2003 335. Butiful guitar. Tone - tick, appointments - tick, noodle neck - tick. That thing went out of tune lookin at it sideways.
Sold it and bought a 1976 Tele. Frets worn to buggery but such a sweet tone from the neck, middle and bridge. Neck shape is the best I've had, in the process of getting a refret.
I thought 11lbs was an absolute anchor! 14 must be ridiculous!

Latest Threads