Ever flip your car over?

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I was a passenger in a Honda Prelude and the driver flipped it making a u-turn on Westheimer in Houston. We'd just spent a few hours drinking Saki bombers and eating sushi. No injuries, but he got arrested and I had to call for a ride home.

danohat

Reaction score
I have been in a rollover crash. My dad was driving. His leg went through the sunroof and he broke it and his back. He fully recovered. My brother and I were not hurt. My dad later broke his neck and became a quad before dying of complications of that injury. That was from trying to jump the chain link fence to retrieve his puppy from the neighbors yard. He caught his pant leg and fell on his head.

sonar1

Reaction score
I demand suction cup tires to avoid these dramas

judson

Reaction score
lesson learned

...never put a used set of radials on the front and a bald set of snow tires on the rear of a 70's Chevy Vega station wagon...

on my way to a buddys gig, summer about 7pm, rained just enough as i got on the ramp to the highway...hit the gas on the ramp and immediately started doing donuts on the ramp then rolled down into a ditch landed on the roof, one window was busted open i see a hand reach in....i grab it and they pull me out...

state cop walks up, sticks his hand out to shake my hand and says " congratulations!!.....your still alive!" "

funnier the tow truck guy, cranes it out of the 20 foot ditch but before he says I think you can drive it home, might not be too bad.....umm sure dude...looked like a chop shop lowered the roof to 3 inches from the hood

after 30 years never forgot how loud the metal crunching and banging sounded....... :run:

joba

Reaction score
Quarter turn ,Dam those doors are heavy when you're climbing out the top. Very scary. Youth and stupidity . I drive like an old lady now.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I'll tell...

In 1984 I was in the Army, stationed at Ft Benning Ga.

I went and bought my first car ....a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 ....A yellow rust bucket from hell, Chain steering wheel, Big thick mags, a big 351 C 4bbl, and it moved.....It had problems with the body but I was going to FIX it all....

I was just getting ready to drive it up to Detroit to go on a short leave home.

I drove it up Victory Drive (If you have ever been to Columbus Ga, and the Ft Benning area then you would know the strip....Bars, Car dealerships and pawn shops. and more bars ....(Andy's Lounge was the shit)

I'm driving past a Ford Dealership and there she was ....a 1969 Mustang Coupe ....(not a fastback). I pulled into the dealer and got out and started kicking tires, of course the sales guy comes out because he sees a young bright eyed bushy tailed soldier (obvious) with money burning a hole in his pocket and good credit....(he saw the Mustang I pulled in with) ...we get to talking and in a few minutes, $400 and the Trade was done

....I was in a nearly mint (16,000 miles) 302 Mustang that Ole' Granny McKlintoch owned and only drove it to church on Sundays and up to the Piggly Wiggly's on Tuesdays since 1969....No shit....

It was that clean....

I dove it to work, I drove it to the chow hall, I drove it to the movies.....Everybody loved my new Mustang.....She ran like a top and drove like a Mustang.....

The night before I was going to depart for Detroit, I had to work my last afternoon shift up at the hospital, I got off at 1100 pm and drove it back to the barracks...I parked it and got out. Just then one of my peers, who worked at the ambulance department down at the hospital was coming out of the barracks and walking towards his car....he saw me and said, Hey! I see you got your new car....I said yep, taking it home tomorrow....flying back....He says; I'm going to Burger King you hungry?

I said, yep ...I'm driving .....I shoulda said "nope....gotta get some rest" ....but you know....its Burger King man....

Now the road to get off of Ft Benning is about 8 miles away, past the hospital. The main gate, from there is 12 miles away down a long, its a wide boulevard, and in some places splits off with lots of trees on all sides ....big old trees covered in that Southern Moss....just beautiful there ...its a nice drive even at night.

We get past the hospital, and on to the main hwy towards the Main Gate....its like a freeway and its 55 mph

I'm in the left lane and a older Pontiac (I think) pulls up and signals a challenge, to get on it and race....So I punch it....The 302 kicks in and I take off..... The last time I looked at the speedometer I was going about 90. The guy in that car starts to overtake me (at about 100 mph) and suddenly veers in front of me, I brake ....swerve ever so slightly and begin to fishtail ....uncontrollably .....Each sway gets wider and wider ....then a rear tire hits wet grass.................................................................................

Crunching metal, breaking glass, the sensation of weightlessness and coming down hard, the roof coming towards us tearing headliner, breaking dome light (not sure why I remember that ) ....spinning to a stop.....The green glow of the dash lights, indicating 45 mph, Stuck.....Dust everywhere. The proverbial tire still rolling on the upturned chassis

The headlights beamed into the darkness illuminating foliage, Aerosmith "Dream On " Blaring on the tape deck.

I become aware ....and looked at my passenger.....He looks OK... he is awake because he is yelling "I smell Gas, Get out!" he is yelling at me.....but all I hear is the engine clunking, draining of fuel and dying with that damned Aerosmith.

We both scramble out, like a crew jumping from a stricken bomber, we stand and check each other over....making sure we aren't bleeding out from an unknown laceration....but both of us are only shaken .....

No seat belts.....I think that saved us both....

And that other guy.....gone.....Mother fker ....Of all the assholes, I race this dick that will leave you bleeding on the side of the road....

A passerby stopped and asked if we were all right and said he will go and get the post MP's ........Post MP's ????????
(Military Police) Of Shit. Fck....I'm in trouble now.........we are going to have to stand before the First Sargent and its late .....boy is he going to be fking pissed.....!

This is worse than waking up your parents in the middle of the night with police lights lighting up your neighborhood...not good...

Then my friend said ...."Go to the hospital with the ambulance and get checked out at the hospital" They wont call the First Sargent .....It will just show up on the blotter on Monday morning ....then you'll answer to him....

And he worked the ambulance section ....! Brilliant!

OK that's a plan! So when the MP's asked.....We said we are going to the hospital....

Long story short...I cancelled the leave home ....I went to work on Monday .....

I'm coming out of the hospital cafeteria after breakfast....and I run right into First Sargent ...almost knock him over....and he says ....glad your not dead.....he was waiting for me....

He says

Did you know you needed to report to me the minute that happened? I said ....no First Sargent...(Lying) He read me the riot act, and said he was glad he wasn't writing any letters to mom.....No shit...I felt terrible .....(cuz your really still just a stupid kid and they know it)

He said report to building ( cant remember ) for defensive drivers course at 4:30 pm for the next 5 days...

And that closed the story on the 69 Mustang Coup ....I have a set of pictures of the tragic result at the junk yard somewhere ....too difficult to look at ....

One last thing ...The MP's were real nice....they were compassionate and just took the facts....thanks guys...

And you know I still draw on that Defensive Driving course .....they should be teaching that instead of the crap they teach now....

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Flip my car over?

Nah, I could never think of a good enough reason to .

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

motowntom

Reaction score
Almost forty years of racing, plenty of benders, but never upside down until Mosport 2017. Got my fat ass out, but it was a completely different feeling than any other crash I've had, took quite awhile to shake it off. Worst part is the wife took the pic.
Cheers
Mosport -2017.jpg

Last edited:

motowntom

Reaction score
So you’re saying her first response was NOT to run to your aid...

:rofl:

cheers.
I was already out of the car.... but that was kinda her reaction LOL. She has tolerated my racing for a long time bless her.
Cheers

Latest Threads