Ever feel like you are "there" with LPs and guitars in general?

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, lately, I've been feeling as though I am "there" with my guitar collection. I've got a few laid away in the closet for upcoming years' gifts, and between those, and what I presently have, I feel that I am finally "there"

I am starting to feel that way with amps too--but that's another story--I still have a few on my radar: a DSL 1H--according to everyone's favorite DSL/Marshall Forum video, I guess I really HAVE to have a DSL :laugh2:; perhaps a Carr Mercury V; and maybe a Reeves HG10 or another Phaez Sibly (although that Marshall SL5 has filled the EL34 void).

ANYWAYS, back to the LPs, I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. I've been passively eyeballing a '90 Custom, but my '91 is going to be hard to surpass. I could also enjoy an Iguana Burst Custom, and if I could find a smokin' deal maybe a Studio Lite.

BUT, I'm not actively looking for any of those and whenever I do look at them, I'm like "meh, not worth the cost of getting;" I just feel content with what I have...and it is a nice feeling.

HOPE IT LASTS!!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
actually passed on getting a goldtop tribute last weekend.between the gibby jr. and epi tribute+ i didnt feel like i desperately needed it.still gassing for it a little but hard to justify.

gball

Reaction score
Yeah, I am "there" as far as tones and types of guitars. I have all the bases covered that I personally want covered and I don't feel like any of the guitars I have now are need of an "upgrade."

That being said, I still like to look and if the right one came along and I couldn't pass it up I would. I have been giving serious thought to picking up a 2016 Standard. I really don't need one, and it's tone is only incrementally different than my Traditional, but there you go, the sickness.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I'm actually "there" with my guitar collection in general (i.e., not just LPs).

If you look at my sig-line you'll see that I've managed to assemble what is essentially a complete classic "Gibson" model solid body collection... and I have a "Gibson" model semi-hollow and hollow body too, covering those bases. ;)

Admittedly most of them are the Epiphone version of the vaunted Gibson model, but that's an economic necessity for me... I just can't afford all those high-dollar Gibson models. I can afford a few Gibsons though, and chose the ones I especially wanted to have the Gibson version of (i.e., my 2 LP Trads and my Explorer) and got exactly what I wanted when it came to them. But the rest I opted to score via screaming deals on Epiphones. I wanted an LPC, but there was no way I would/could pay for the Gibson Custom version... so I scored an Epi version on sale for 38% off the regular retail (I also picked up a used Epi LP Junior "Heineken promo model" just to hang on the wall of my home pub--i.e., it's not a player, just wall art). The Epi ES-175 I got recently on "clearance" from GC for about 50% off the normal price... couldn't say no. The ES-335 I got a great deal on used from GC (BTW, both of these ES models are KILLER!!! Epi *really* does semi-hollow/hollow bodies well, but I digress). And finally, the Flying V, SG & Firebird I scored used on my local CL for ridiculously good prices.

So now I have one each of the five classic "Gibson" model solid bodies (or in the case of LPs, several ;)) and a "Gibson" model semi-hollow and hollow body too.

Collection... complete! :thumbs: (Though I do reserve the right to do upgrades to these guitars... e.g., pickups, maybe a Bigsby or two, etc. ;))

Really the only thing I see changing would be maybe... maybe... upgrading one or more of the Epis eventually to a Gibson version. That said, the two ES models are soooo dang good that I honestly don't see myself ever spending 8-10x what I spent on them to upgrade to the Gibson version! So that really only leaves the Flying V, SG & Firebird as potential upgrades. Of those the most likely to upgrade to a Gibson would be the V. So maybe, but really not necessary as the Epi V I have (i.e., the 1967 RI Black & White) is such a striking looking guitar (and has such a great neck) that replacing it with something more bland looking wouldn't necessarily appeal to me... but never say never. ;) So that leaves the SG & Firebird. And while I do like them and enjoy having these two models in my "collection" they are honestly my least favorite Gibson models, so I actually doubt I'll ever feel the need to upgrade them to a Gibson. But again, never say never I guess... I mean, if a stupid good deal on a Gibson SG or Firebird was to pop up on the local CL who's to say I wouldn't just take the plunge. But at this point I really do consider my collection "complete". ;) (I know, I know... famous last words :naughty:).

Amps though... hmm... not so much. :D I see a Marshall 1960A cab in my future... and maybe a JCM 800, 900, 2000 head too, we'll see.

(P.S. BTW, yes, I have tried other brands... I've owned some Fender/Squier stuff and an Ibanez or two [still have an Ibanez acoustic which was my late dad's--though I don't really play acoustic much at all which is why I don't bother to get a Gibson or Epi acoustic] and I still have a beater Yamaha Strat copy I've had for years, but never play anymore really and can't seem to sell... and I like some Gretsch semi-hollows & hollows... but I've come to learn I'm just a Gibson Guy (Gibson/Epiphone that is). It's just what I gravitate towards and what I like... so I've embraced it :D).

MooCheng

Reaction score
More or less there with guitars, a couple of nice Teles,
a Martin and 414ce which I love playing.
If I was looking to expand the herd, it would be something oddball,
maybe a Weisenborn

RichBrew

Reaction score
I've been "there" for years, only buying a new guitar to just chuck on the pile. If I ever do buy a new one it will be a Variax so I can get something different out of it.

Stevevall

Reaction score
I have been playing for years, and I have always played a Strat. Probably because the first songs that I learned were from Pink Floyd, and ve always been a Gilmore fan. Last year, at 60 years old, I finally picked up a Les Paul. Granted, it was a Chinese replica that I bought because I couldn’t believe that I could get a replica with a case, delivered, for 248$. R9 black beauty, that was gorgeous. I immediately began comparing and doing analysis on these things. Although I had no complaints, and it is a nice replica, I needed a real LP to compare. So, I bought a 2000 gothic morte, and I haven’t put it down.
now I’m in trouble, I gave the replica away, which left me with two guitars, which is one below my allowed limit. my wife, having no idea why I would give away that beautiful custom.
now, my search is on, and the journey to find a standard or custom, preferably under 5k$.
I must admit that I’m obsessed, but loving every minute.

Attachments

NotScott

Reaction score
I have been done for a while now with amps, guitars and pickups. Anything that has come in recently has been either by gift or whim.

MSB

Reaction score
no, my tastes change just like me, its a revolving door, but "some" things never change

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
Years ago I realized when I began focusing more on guitars I wanted and amassing a fleet of them, I also realized my playing nearly stagnated. It was as if the joy and motivation of practicing was losing to the joys of collecting and playing with new guitars. I’ve always set goals for my playing every week, and never want to fall into the pattern of picking up a guitar only to play the same old, well-worn riffs and noodles. That’s of course not to say I don’t buy new guitars anymore, but I just don’t obsess over it like I used to, and I think my playing has gotten better as a result. That’s just my experience.

rogue3

Reaction score
I'm actually "there" with my guitar collection in general (i.e., not just LPs).

If you look at my sig-line you'll see that I've managed to assemble what is essentially a complete classic "Gibson" model solid body collection... and I have a "Gibson" model semi-hollow and hollow body too, covering those bases. ;)

Admittedly most of them are the Epiphone version of the vaunted Gibson model, but that's an economic necessity for me... I just can't afford all those high-dollar Gibson models. I can afford a few Gibsons though, and chose the ones I especially wanted to have the Gibson version of (i.e., my 2 LP Trads and my Explorer) and got exactly what I wanted when it came to them. But the rest I opted to score via screaming deals on Epiphones. I wanted an LPC, but there was no way I would/could pay for the Gibson Custom version... so I scored an Epi version on sale for 38% off the regular retail (I also picked up a used Epi LP Junior "Heineken promo model" just to hang on the wall of my home pub--i.e., it's not a player, just wall art). The Epi ES-175 I got recently on "clearance" from GC for about 50% off the normal price... couldn't say no. The ES-335 I got a great deal on used from GC (BTW, both of these ES models are KILLER!!! Epi *really* does semi-hollow/hollow bodies well, but I digress). And finally, the Flying V, SG & Firebird I scored used on my local CL for ridiculously good prices.

So now I have one each of the five classic "Gibson" model solid bodies (or in the case of LPs, several ;)) and a "Gibson" model semi-hollow and hollow body too.

Collection... complete! :thumbs: (Though I do reserve the right to do upgrades to these guitars... e.g., pickups, maybe a Bigsby or two, etc. ;))

Really the only thing I see changing would be maybe... maybe... upgrading one or more of the Epis eventually to a Gibson version. That said, the two ES models are soooo dang good that I honestly don't see myself ever spending 8-10x what I spent on them to upgrade to the Gibson version! So that really only leaves the Flying V, SG & Firebird as potential upgrades. Of those the most likely to upgrade to a Gibson would be the V. So maybe, but really not necessary as the Epi V I have (i.e., the 1967 RI Black & White) is such a striking looking guitar (and has such a great neck) that replacing it with something more bland looking wouldn't necessarily appeal to me... but never say never. ;) So that leaves the SG & Firebird. And while I do like them and enjoy having these two models in my "collection" they are honestly my least favorite Gibson models, so I actually doubt I'll ever feel the need to upgrade them to a Gibson. But again, never say never I guess... I mean, if a stupid good deal on a Gibson SG or Firebird was to pop up on the local CL who's to say I wouldn't just take the plunge. But at this point I really do consider my collection "complete". ;) (I know, I know... famous last words :naughty:).

Amps though... hmm... not so much. :D I see a Marshall 1960A cab in my future... and maybe a JCM 800, 900, 2000 head too, we'll see.

(P.S. BTW, yes, I have tried other brands... I've owned some Fender/Squier stuff and an Ibanez or two [still have an Ibanez acoustic which was my late dad's--though I don't really play acoustic much at all which is why I don't bother to get a Gibson or Epi acoustic] and I still have a beater Yamaha Strat copy I've had for years, but never play anymore really and can't seem to sell... and I like some Gretsch semi-hollows & hollows... but I've come to learn I'm just a Gibson Guy (Gibson/Epiphone that is). It's just what I gravitate towards and what I like... so I've embraced it :D).
I always thought its a bit like this:

endless-staircase-.jpg

NotScott

Reaction score
Years ago I realized when I began focusing more on guitars I wanted and amassing a fleet of them, I also realized my playing nearly stagnated. It was as if the joy and motivation of practicing was losing to the joys of collecting and playing with new guitars. I’ve always set goals for my playing every week, and never want to fall into the pattern of picking up a guitar only to play the same old, well-worn riffs and noodles. That’s of course not to say I don’t buy new guitars anymore, but I just don’t obsess over it like I used to, and I think my playing has gotten better as a result. That’s just my experience.
And this right here is the issue. Do you play guitar or do you play with guitars?

Latest Threads