Evaluating used condition on factory-distressed instruments.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Didn't want to sidetrack the other thread, but I've often wondered about how to apply the usual G/VG/EX/NM/M condition descriptors to factory-aged guitars and to what extent anything beyond fretwear actually matters.

I suppose with the collector's choice stuff and artist replicas, scratches and dings outside the "expected" wear areas might be seen as a detriment.

Would it be a good idea to take a ton of "day one" photos of you bought one new, or save the original new guitar sale ad gallery as future condition reference photos?

Does it even matter on something like a heavy relic Fender?

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to crack dad jokes. And every time I'm in a shop and want to check out an aged guitar I throw down the "whoa careful don't scratch it" as they're taking off the hook for me. And we laugh and laugh.

The idea of incidental damage devaluing deliberate damage is beyond ridiculous to me. For what it's worth.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you distinguish between intentional and accidental wear?
Unless it's structural damage like a break or a major and obvious issue I really wouldn't.

Collectively, we've thumbs-upped distressed guitars. They look cool, they feel cool, etc. So I think this is one of the trade-offs. I am not an anti-aging guy. For the record. But there are a lot of them out there. One of the classic arguments against it is the sort of "stolen valor" conversation. The idea that actual play wear is somehow a negative while fake play wear is a positive goes against all sense. And when we take it that far I can see the validity of the anti-aging point of view. The trade-off is is when you buy an aged guitar you don't have to worry as much about marking it up. And when you buy it used you don't have to worry about the previous guy marking it up. There are many new and glossy guitars out there. If a person doesn't like wear why would they buy an aged guitar?

kakerlak

Reaction score
I have a Fender relic that's fairly tame -- thorough fine checking everywhere, no wear-through on the neck, some hardware tarnish, and a smattering of small dings and chips in the body. It dawned on me after reading the other thread that I have no idea whether any of the little dings are my fault. I don't treat my guitars roughly, but this one is definitely freeing to own in that there's no real worry about the little dings and chips you get from accidentally bumping into something -- mic stand, case latch, ceiling, etc.

And I can't really imagine anyone would call out any of it -- how could you know and how would it matter? But I have no idea how I'd describe condition. Maybe "factory relic" or some such should become kind of a "not applicable" choice in condition grading.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
I mean, I think the old beat up guitars are as cool as everyone else do, but I'm one of those people that I'd rather buy some random old beat up Gibson, because that's a good enough guitar somebody played it enough to make it look like that

I mean I just bought an old Gibby where apparently the pickups are worth more than I paid for the whole damn guitar.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, Structural, neck straightness, Playability is really everything...Fret Wear, and saddle wear and nut wear.....you can also look at the electronics, well maintained no beer stickies....

Believe it or not Gibson uses a pattern for the the CC's and others.....

I was looking at a gold top and noticed the checking patters was the exact same as my CC#7 shanks !!!

So you could theoretically go that route but it wouldn't be practical at all ....

The benefits of an aged or (Stolen Valor) guitar ....is its in perfect playing condition without the playability issues of a real Vintage or road warrior guitar....the look and feel is more of an aesthetic....

I like aged guitars over glossies ....I can treat them like the bitches they are .....:run::facepalm:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This concept always makes me chuckle when I see the reverb condition subheading, mint or excellent on a Tom Murphy heavy relic.

guitarbob123

Reaction score
I played a heavily aged R9 about 18 months ago and the shop assistant asked me to take my jacket off before I played, in case the zip scratched it...

The back of the guitar had so much buckle rash that it looked like it had already been dragged around the Grand Canyon :slap:

(I’m glad I did humour the request, the guitar was great and I should have bought it really)

redcoats1976

Reaction score
and to think that all this time ive been careful not to ding or drop my 4 year old goldtop...

Latest Threads