Eucalyptus oil on fretboard?

Reaction score
Just wondering if I could use this to clean my rosewood fretboard as I can't find any fast fret around the house. Will it work, and work well?

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Don't do it. I use only the Gibson fret oil stuff only a couple times a year, and I wipe the strings/neck after every time I play.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Ahhh! Clean it! Clean it! Right tool for the right job.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I just use a damp cloth to clean the wood. Then after it's dried, I lubricate with lemon oil. This is what is in the 'Fretboard Conditioners' that sell at the guitar shop at $6 for 100ml. Lemon oil sells by the pint at the hardware store for about $5.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Gibson Fret board conditioner (made for you guitar) $6.00
Lemon oil at store= $5.00
for $1.00, I'll get the guitar oil.

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure lemon oil a couple of times a year, and a damp rag. :cool:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'm sure you all know this but NOT pure lemon oil. Lemon oil for guitars isn't lemon oil. See all the other threads on this subject for more info.
Nah, it's mostly some kind of light mineral oil with some lemon scent added. The stuff in the Gibson bottles is the same stuff. But, whatever blows your skirt up (and sucks your dollars)

• Haha
Reactions: ehb

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you all know this but NOT pure lemon oil. Lemon oil for guitars isn't lemon oil. See all the other threads on this subject for more info.
I get pure lemon oil from the health food store. No silicone, or mineral oil. It's all I use, besides a damp rag.:wow:

Ayton

Reaction score
Eucalyptus oil, that's a new one. I once researched fretboard oiling for this post and found that people were using all sorts of strange liquids on their fretboards:

Boiled Linseed Oil
Gunstock Oil
Bore Oil
3-in-1 Oil
Olive Oil
Mineral Oil
Nose Grease
Old English Lemon Oil
Pledge™
Motor Oil

I mean really, motor oil? 3-in-1? (Mineral oil turned out to be the safest, though it's debatable whether a fretboard needs oil at all.)

p90fool

Reaction score
haha yeah I googled it and there are people using wd-40 on the boards!!!
Why is that sillier than any other oil?

Why are you oiling it? Is it rusty? Squeaky? Having trouble getting the frets out?
Is there anything else you can think of where you'd call smearing oil on something "cleaning" it?

martin H

Reaction score
It's really useful if you get congested during a vocal part, as you just lean down and sniff the fretboard. Although. as fiftywattmafia noted, Koalas dragging the instrument offsage and chewing on it are a problem in certain southern latitudes, it's not a problem here in Oklahoma . It also repels mosquitos, and make the instrument unatractive to raccoons and possums, which is more useful than you may think.......

martin H

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorickenbacker
haha yeah I googled it and there are people using wd-40 on the boards!!!

Maybe they play steel guitar??:D
I think that's only on the shortlived cast iron fingerboard, which was one for Gibson's experiments between the Richlite, Poorlite, and compresed cardboard fingerboards.

Latest Threads