EU adds 20 years to music copyrights

0x00

Banned
Reaction score
No Beatles for you! EU adds 20 years to music copyrights

It took three years of doing, but the music industry has finally won its European battle to lock up in-copyright sound recordings for another 20 years. Looking forward to The Beatles' music entering the public domain as the 50-year copyright terms expires? Not going to happen.

The Council of the European Union, where the various member state governments all have a say, voted yesterday (PDF) without discussion to increase the copyright term in sound recordings from 50 to 70 years. Small countries like Belgium, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Sweden voted against the extension, but it passed anyway.

In EU copyright is a step closer to welfare program for record companies.

12watt

Reaction score
Pirate Party MEP Christian Engström?!

sonar1

Reaction score
"...The stated objective was to "help aging session musicians" who had been making small amounts of money from these recordings for 50 years but were about to be cut off just when the rigors of old age were taking their toll. (Why hadn't they saved money for the future during the last 50 years like everyone else? Who knows—it was a point no one seemed keen on addressing.)..."

Maybe they weren't paid enough for their studio wages to "...saved money for the future..."

Those pesky exploitive studio musicians: so well paid: yet still clamouring for mom's teet!

I believe you have it right 0X00, it's for the benefit of the holders of the copyrights. Neither the original writers of the work (who sold their lisence aggreements in order to eat another day, at the time), nor the studio musician's they're otherwise so patronizing to, have made anywhere NEAR what the holders of these copyrights do.

Nice to know though: that I could concievably NOT sell myself down the river for today's grocery money (assuming I grew as large and as well remunerated as The Beatles) and me and/or my hiers could possiibly still receive some mechanical royalties for a bit longer, as if that might happen were it actually WORTH something!

0x00

Banned
Reaction score
The chorus of approval has been led by aging artists, masking the fact that for more than a decade the lobby for copyright extension has been resourced by the multinational record industry. Labels do not want to lose the revenues of the classic recordings of the 1960s which are reaching the end of their current 50 year term. Rather than innovating, right holders find it much easier to exclude competition. Europe is in danger of locking away her music heritage just as digital technology is enabling the opening of the archives.

It is not surprising that many performers’ organisations and collecting societies support the Directive. They do not have to carry the costs – which will exceed EURO 1 billion to the general public (based on the Commission’s own figures – see calculations in Joint Academic Statement issued by Centre for Intellectual Property Policy & Management (CIPPM, Bournemouth University), the Centre for Intellectual Property & Information Law (CIPIL, Cambridge University), the Institute the Institute for Information Law (IViR, University of Amsterdam), and the Max Planck Competition and Tax Law (Munich)

72 percent of the financial benefits from term extension will accrue to record labels. Of the 28 percent that will go to artists, most of the money will go to superstar acts, with only 4 percent benefiting those musicians mentioned in the European Council press release as facing an "income gap at the end of their life times". Many performers also do not appear to understand that the proposal would lead to a redistribution of income from living to dead artists.

http://www.cippm.org.uk/copyright_term.html

I'd be pissed to have been made to pay for Bono's gold plated diapers.

Latest Threads