ESP LTD ECs - any good?

frater106

Reaction score
Hey, Guys! I’ve got my eyes on a couple of ESP LTD ECs-in particular the EC-10, EC-1000FR, and the black satin heavy metal one. I’d love to hear what you guys that have owned one of these think of them. How do they compare to Epi/Gibson LPs for playability and tone?

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
sorry I should have specified... the couple that I was able to play had thin and narrow necks compared to my preferences which are Gibson/Epi necks. More like a shredder guitar. This is just a preference, though.

BDW60

Reaction score
As stated above, thin and narrow necks. Which are great if you like thin and narrow necks. I always thought the MOP on them was gawdy as all hell but that’s down to personal taste.They are well made and sound good, but not really like a Les Paul IMO. It would be a nice addition to a collection for something a little bit different, but I wouldn’t buy one thinking it could replace a Les Paul.

filtersweep

Reaction score
Lets be realistic- the nut widths differ by 1 mm. With cimparing to a Gibson with nibs, I’d argue the EC has more playable width.

The thickness is a different story.

Quality is great- but the horn and inlays are not to my tastes. The pickups are voiced quite different from most Gibsons.

I’d look at a PRS single cut before an EC if I wanted a non-copy ‘Les Paul.’

John

Reaction score
Despite the price creep, not that it's unique to ESP/LTD, they're fairly accessible and I like them overall- they offer a 24 fret LP style guitar without butchering the shape, FR options, and comfortable necks. Those and the forgoing of the abalone spam from years past are desirable in my book. The QC overall is still fine and usually a relatively tight ship.
In regards to more "modernized" guitar brands and aforementioned QC, these are comparable to Kiesel if and when they're done without issues often plaguing them (ie- Jeff if he didn't forget to roast maple fingerboards), Balaguer, and currently a step up compared to Solar as far as I care.

Though to be fair, I'm not really a fan of the ubiquitous LP setup anyway (ie- chunky bodies, 22 frets + TOM and/or Bigsby spam)

Eagle X

Reaction score
I used to be an ESP guy (M series) and an EMG guy. But I never thought about comparing EC with les paul in terms of playability, tone or anything. I might be wrong but in my opinion EC is a shredder despite it looks like les paul. It's actually more like my preloved M II.

tzd

Reaction score
I have an EC-1001FR. I don't like the neck either. Not because it's thin... it is indeed thin - narrower and slimmer than Gibson. The thinness is fine with me, but the flatness of the fingerboard is what I don't like. It has a fingerboard radius of 350mm, which translates to 13.7 inches. Gibsons have 12" fingerboard. 13.7" is too flat to me, almost Ibanez territory (Ibanez's are usually 15-17" radius).

pillbug

Reaction score
I’ve had a couple of EC1000s, a Viper 300M (their take on an SG), a Gus G signature (first version) a MH-400M, and briefly, a Snakebyte. They are great guitars in their own right. Especially for the money.

There are a couple versions of EC1000 (blingy all- abalone bindings vs plastic ivorioid, rosewood vs ebony, EMG vs Duncan’s), which feel different so I’d play them if you can.

But personally, I would not compare the EC1000 to a Les Paul in tone or playability for a few reasons (some of which are, admittedly, subjective).

1. The frets are jumbo and feel bigger to me than pretty much any Les Paul. The fit and finish were excellent (of those I’ve had) but they were just too big for me. I also didn’t like the grade (type?) of rosewood compared to what I’m used to on most of my Gibsons.

2. Depending on the model, either EMGs or Duncans. The SDs will be a little closer tone-wise to Gibson pickups, but personally I didn’t like the sound of the SDs in mine.

3. The thinner body and contour (belly cut?) plus the satin or poly (I think) finish is quite different from an LP Studio / Classic / Traditional/ or Standard (“T” versions).

I eventually sold my LTDs because after awhile (honeymoon? They are cool guitars) they just didn’t inspire me. At the end of the day they are more comparable to any other Korean made guitars like Schecter and Reverend (both of which I’ve also owned, btw) than they are to a Gibson.

Last edited:

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
EC 1000 are great guitars for metal. I had one when when they first came out back in the early production run. Overall I was pleased with mine

Pancreas

Reaction score
I recently played a used EC1000 with Seymour Duncans. Fantastic guitar! I don't care for the models with active pickups, but that's just my preference. Lots of guitar for the money

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I had a EC-1000 Deluxe stop tail with EMGs. I loved the neck, it was a shredder neck that didn’t cramp my hand (unlike Jacksons and Ibanez). The frets where HUGE and I though it sounded good. Only sold it to make room for a Les Paul, which is more my style these days.

Latest Threads