ESP E-II Eclipse Questions

THAWK819

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever played an Eclipse from the E-II line? I’ve only ever played LTD models and they weren’t bad. I recently came across some demo vids of the E-II model and they sound (and look) great.

I’m usually not a fan of active pickups at all, but the EMG 57TW/66TW combo admittedly sounds really impressive.

How are the necks? The description says “thin U shape,” but I can’t really envision how a “U” shape can be thin. Do the XJ frets significantly change how you strum chords as well? I get these are geared more toward shreddy lead playing… but even Hammett hits power chords now and then.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I’ve been looking at them lately too the necks are really easy to play, that’s the only way I can describe them, they just feel comfortabl.

I‘m interested in the build quality, I’ve had an LTD and it was damn near flawless but I don’t know anything bout the Japanese products

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm guessing thin U is more like what we usually call D:

|_______|

Not that exaggerated but you get the idea.

BKS

Reaction score
Thin U.... Ibanez wizard :dunno: :oops:

THAWK819

Reaction score
I just watched an Andertons video where they demo'd the E-II line. They took two different guitars, both of which according to ESP have the "Thin U" neck shape, and likened one to a flat, thin Ibanez style neck, and the other to a thick, 50's style neck... the same exact neck... unless ESP has misprints in the catalog on their site.

I guess I'll either have to track one down to try somewhere or buy from an online retailer with a forgiving return policy.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
Here are mine - all from different years, but all basically have the same neck profile irrespective of whether they're LTD or ESP. I don't own any Ibanez guitars and so cannot comment. However, I do have a Les Paul Custom Classic at my apartment with me and took some measurements - width of the neck is about 0.5mm thinner than a Gibson - depth was also about 0.5mm variance. I traced the contours and the Gibson is ever so slightly flatter, not thinner, so it feels like there's a bit more neck on the hand as compared to the ESPs. None of these have a 50s style neck. If you are looking for these - the major difference is the # of frets - I'm not sure if the models are the same for the USA line, but the Japan line has 24 fret variants. There's also the full thickness body variants now as well, but the neck profiles are also the same.

Attachments

THAWK819

Reaction score
Here are mine - all from different years, but all basically have the same neck profile irrespective of whether they're LTD or ESP. I don't own any Ibanez guitars and so cannot comment. However, I do have a Les Paul Custom Classic at my apartment with me and took some measurements - width of the neck is about 0.5mm thinner than a Gibson - depth was also about 0.5mm variance. I traced the contours and the Gibson is ever so slightly flatter, not thinner, so it feels like there's a bit more neck on the hand as compared to the ESPs. None of these have a 50s style neck. If you are looking for these - the major difference is the # of frets - I'm not sure if the models are the same for the USA line, but the Japan line has 24 fret variants. There's also the full thickness body variants now as well, but the neck profiles are also the same.
Thanks for posting this, very helpful. I think I'm probably just going to go for it; I'm really digging the Full Thickness model with the black natural burst top. The EMG's in that one sound really killer. I'm selling some collectibles and other things to partially fund and then I'm pulling the trigger.

Thanks all for the input and insight.

John

Reaction score
Super late response, but the frets don't significantly change how I strum chords as per your first set of questions. Regarding neck thickness, it depends on what guitars you're comparing them too I suppose. ie- they're chunkier compared to my late 90's USA Custom Eclipse. But at the same time, they're not "baseball bat" chunky by any means either.
All in all, they're comfortable guitars to play regardless of iteration. I just wish they have more 'modernized' versions past the LTD line up to now, not just the cool ones from said 90's, but that's another story for another time.

Latest Threads