ES135 - Fake or Not? Serial No 94046446

Adrian Robinson

Reaction score
Hello,

New to this forum and any forum to be precise.

I have just purchased a Gibson ES135 (1996) and was wondering if anyone could help me with the spec.

I am happy with its authenticity as purchased from a very reputable seller however the neck is causing me some confusion as its binded and looking at similar models of that year I cannot find any others.

Have I bought a dud here or is it very uncommon to have this spec on an entry level guitar? I am aware its had some mods (SD Pickups & Possible repaint) there is also signs that its had a Bigsby/Trem fitted at some point.

Anyway if anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Attachments

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about some pictures of the body, pickups, bridge, ect?

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
just going off Reverb, I can't remember ever seeing binding on that model. Judging by the lack of nibs, I would say someone paid to either have it refretted/bound or just bound.

bryvincent

Reaction score
its a 1994 model not a 1996.
only in 1994, Gibson USA SNs starts with 94 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Gibson. you can't use the usual system as there can't be 400 days in a year

Adrian Robinson

Reaction score
For a lower price range guitar I can’t see the cost of binding it to be economical but then I could be wrong?

shickma0

Reaction score
Everything on that guitar looks fine to me. Definitely legit, perhaps with some modification work done after it left the factory. EDIT: the Gibson logo silkscreen looks a little wonky, particularly around the S. I would still say it’s legit, but perhaps a refin.

Adrian Robinson

Reaction score
Everything on that guitar looks fine to me. Definitely legit, perhaps with some modification work done after it left the factory. EDIT: the Gibson logo silkscreen looks a little wonky, particularly around the S. I would still say it’s legit, but perhaps a refin.
Thanks a lot for your response - I think your correct with the refurb. Much appreciated.

Deftone

Reaction score
I have a Black '97, P100's, no binding. It looks good to good to me but I thought the humbuckers came after the P-100's? May have been modded?

IMG_2464a.JPG
IMG_2465a.JPG
00505_5mJZ83jUJxz_1200x900.jpg

Adrian Robinson

Reaction score

Deftone

Reaction score
Hi, seriously nice guitar you have.
I think it has been modded at some pint and possible refinish but the binding still puzzles me as it’s aged the same as the body binding and looks factory...odd really odd.
Yea, could be a factory one off? Definitely like the binding and the Humbuckers. The P100 doesn't do much for me. I bought a Wolfetone P90 to replace it.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Is it possible to be a Gibson workers guitar? I have seen a few one offs that belonged to guys that had worked for the company.

Adrian Robinson

Reaction score
That would be interesting to know. Nothing on the guitar looks aftermarket. Is there a way of finding a build sheet??

Cjsinla

Reaction score
No nibs. Wouldn’t that suggest a refret if the binding was from the factory?

Latest Threads