ES-355 Weird binding crack/scrape - any ideas?

AMSnell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a used Gibson Custom ES-355 (Shinichi Ubukata) last weekend. Guitar was filthy when I bought it, so had to strip it basically completely back and give it a good clean. All good - almost immaculate but one thing caught my eye.

Around the binding on the rear of the guitar is about 10-20cm of what appear to be scrape marks in the finish which can be felt, but appear to be under the clear coat. I came to the conclusion that these are scrape marks as it isn't a uniform pattern, like you see on checking, and the binding doesn't seem to be coming away at all. Even if it was - I doubt you'd see this pattern.

So my conclusion is that this was done by the end of the binding scraper tool, which perhaps wasn't sharpened properly as it was dragged around.

I wanted to run this past the experts first though. Do you think this is just a bad binding scrape job, or do you think this may be something different? Do you think this will remain as-is, or do you think it will get worse around that back edge? Is it repairable, should I choose to do that?

Cheers all - really is appreciated. Photos taken with a macro camera so you can see the pattern!

gcbike

Reaction score
I'll third that looks like it was dropped on that edge

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Yep, definitely not a bad scraping job.

AMSnell

Reaction score
Ok - seems an impact crack is the view.

When lockdown is over I'll take it into a tech to ensure theres no worse structural damage and get it touched up.

Cheers all.

AMSnell

Reaction score
I messaged the guy a couple of days back and haven't got a response.

Apart from this mark - it's immaculate and one of the nicest Gibsons I've played, so I'm not overly upset about the prospect of no return, but it's just frustrating.

NHDave

Reaction score
It also could be the lacquer shrinking or expanding from temperature change. I’ve had that feathering appear at the nut. wondering if the finish not adhering well to an area of transition.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Maybe you could put in a claim with the shipper and get a touch-up paid for...or pocket the money and make friends with the damage!
That kind of jagged crack could only come from impact.
Lacquer is brittle and that's how it looks if you try to compress it.

moreles

Reaction score
Looks like a break in the finish, most likely from seemingly-minor impact. Though you can't tell from pictures, stuff like that is usually only finish-deep, and not ncommon. It's up to you whether it bugs you much or not. Were it mine, I'd probably keep it and likely fix it, as I know how to do that work correctly.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is that a dent in the body about 2" from the edge damage?

Associated in any way? :hmm:

Latest Threads