ES-335 Shopping, need help

Airplane

Reaction score
heres my one after the makeover just to fire up your GAS :)

NotScott

Reaction score
You may want to consider the 335 Fat Neck. As the name indicates, they came with a fat, mid-50s style neck and were basically Gibson's attempt to build a Historic in Memphis. The biggest differences I am aware of between the Fat Necks and the Historics are:

Fat Necks use a long tenon but it is a narrower tenon end than a Historic.
Fat Necks use a maple center block but it uses more of a swimming pool rout compared to the channel rout of the Historics
Fat Necks use a thicker binding on the neck.

Here is some info I had saved when I was looking for a 335:

History

The ES-335 Fat Neck was introduced by Gibson Memphis in 2006. For players who prefer a larger, heavier neck with a rounded profile for any reason - playing technique, larger hands, resonant characteristics, or just a true vintage look and feel – this historic reissue is the perfect instrument.

The Fat Neck is patterned on the run of 521 ES-335s produced by Gibson’s original Kalamazoo factory in 1959. This distinctive six-string still has all the same winning tonal qualities as the Gibson Memphis 335s modeled in 1958: warm, darker, mellow rounded tones perfect for jazz or blues, supercharged with the edge, sustain, and plain authority that comes with semi-hollowbody design.

In keeping with the vintage ’59s, the ES-335 Fat Neck not only boasts the correct rounded ’59 one-piece mahogany neck profile, but the slightly smaller body of the originals and vintage lightweight maple centerblock construction. The Fat Neck’s body measures 16 inches wide, 19 inches long, and 1.7-inches deep.

Body and Finishes

Each Gibson Memphis ES-335 Fat Neck has a plain maple top, back, and rims with a three-ply maple body construction and that vintage lightweight maple centerblock. The pearloid dot inlays give the guitar its distinctive moniker, and they are balanced by a single-ply cream binding along the neck, top, and back.

Neck and Hardware

All hardware is nickel, and there’s a classic ABR-1 bridge with a stopbar tailpiece. True to the original ES-335s, the neck has the rounded 1959 profile and a 24-inch scale length with an 1 11/16th-inch width at the nut. The headstock has a rich holly veneer and the tuners are vintage tulip style.

As with many other iconic Gibson Memphis reproductions of great Gibsons from the ’50s and ’60s, the 1959 ES-335 Fat Neck model has two ’57 Classic humbucking pickups, two volume pots, two tone pots, and a three-way pickup selector switch.

Unfortunately, they have not been in production for over 10 years now but if you can find one, they are generally, $1K less than their Historic counterparts but look, sound and play every bit as good. I wouldn't consider trading mine for anything else.

krauthammer

Reaction score
heres my one after the makeover just to fire up your GAS :)
You may want to consider the 335 Fat Neck.

I wouldn't consider trading mine for anything else.
Wow, both gorgeous guitars.

Thanks for tipping me off to the Fat Necks. I had no idea, will check those out for sure.

That Lovies guitar is very intriguing, a bit above what I was looking to spend, but a gorgeous top.

Some days I love the brighter orange sunburst top, some days I think I'd rather have the darker burst.

krauthammer

Reaction score
Warning: That's how "one of each" starts.........

More fuel to the fire:
Holy Shite!!! That is a crazy top, I haven't been looking long, but never seen a 335 with a top like that.

I had to laugh when I read your reply, because I was just thinking that I like both of the bursts, maybe one day I'll save enough money to get a second :naughty:

wmachine

Reaction score
Holy Shite!!! That is a crazy top, I haven't been looking long, but never seen a 335 with a top like that.

I had to laugh when I read your reply, because I was just thinking that I like both of the bursts, maybe one day I'll save enough money to get a second :naughty:
Honestly, that is really how it starts. "Nobody" ever thinks about getting a second one (of whatever). Until they get the first one. Once the second one is had, well, the door is open.
Yeah, the flame top 335s are not that common, and are usually more subtle when you do find them. Certainly not the traditional burst look of a classic 335. But I do think they look great, and it was part of the CME blowouts and I couldn't resist.

Latest Threads