ES-335 Reissues

kewl kat

Reaction score
I have a hankering for a ES-335 Reissue and so far have been able to contain the GAS. We all know how long that lasts... :laugh2:

I certainly know what a Custombucker (CB's) sounds like (not yet in an ES though), but I am considering a used non-CB reissue model.

A few years back the reissue 335's had MHS pickups in them. I know what the MHS II sounds like in a 335 (non-reissue), but not the MHS. How do these pickups compare? The new ES-335's come with Custombuckers, so I am caught on a fence on whether to go new or used.

Is there any comparison between the MHS and MHS II, or is that just in a name? Thanks in advance for anyone that's got one or several of the above in any of the recent 335 reissues. Other than pickups, both the new and used reissues I am looking at are virtually identical.

Last edited:

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had 1 guitar I want to buy right now it would be one of these. Did the Murphy Lab thing do any 335's?

goldtop0

Reaction score
I've got a '14 Nashville 335 and it's a superb sounding guitar with it's potted CBs.
Tried a '18 MHS loaded one a few years ago and thought it was alright, however I also like the sound of the latest unpotted CBs in LPs.
I've seen shootouts recently of various boutique pups and CBs but none comparing the MHS. These shootouts were much of a muchness with the CBs doing well up against Throbaks and Wizz etc.

Last edited:

motowntom

Reaction score
Have a few Memphis “63” 335’s with the original MHS pickups. I think they are the PERFECT 335 pickup comparing them to the pickups in my other 335’s. But what the hell do I know!
M.J. I really want a "63', can you post some pics of yours, and give any feedback that might help me decide.
Cheers

mjross

Reaction score
Here’s a picture of my “63” Hand Select right before it was shipped. I really dig the color and figuring on this one and like the VOS finish.

This is my “63” Burst! I really like the finish on this one also.

Motown, I have a few other 335’s from the same years that are not ”63’s” and they sound great and play great but these “63’s” stand out for some reason. Kind of difficult to put my finger on it but I think it’s the VOS vibe and the MHS pickups, maybe the nylon saddles, just not sure. However, every time I play one of them it puts a smile on my face! If you can find a “63” I do not think you would be disappointed.

Last edited:

simon connor

Reaction score
Mine is a 1987 “335 Dot Reissue” I think it might have been Gibson’s first, or at least an early, attempt at a reissue 335. It has a fairly thin neck: 0.80 at the first fret, and an Ebony fretboard. I bought it new in 1988, and I think it cost $700. It may have Tim Shaw pickups, but I don’t know how to ascertain that. Prior to spending hours on this forum, I didn’t even know about the 300k pots Gibson used in the 1980s - in fact I bought an R9 Les Paul because the 335 wasn’t doing it for me - but after learning about the 300k pots I had them switched out for 500k, and it was everything MLP members said it would be, ie, it was like taking a blanket off the amp. It’s a pretty nice guitar, and with the 500k pots it sounds like a cleaner voiced Les Paul.
A0C6F27E-91F0-4B15-9D50-DCE024FEA7E4.jpeg

pillbug

Reaction score
I’ve had a few 2014-15 ES-Les Paul’s and loved the stock MHS pickups in them.
Wasn’t aware there’s an MHS II and any differences, so I’ll be watching this thread.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Memphis '58 unbound neck reissue with MHS pickups, and love them!

Prior to getting this, I sold all my Humbucker guitars and now all my LP's are with P-90's. I just couldn't find a HB set that did it for me.

I have a 330, but really wanted a 335 to fight the feedback, and loved the '58 and had heard great things about the pups and the workmanship in Memphis during this period, and I'm so glad I got this one.

I guess these sound closer to that P-90 growl than other HB's I've had, I don't know.

I can't speak for all MHS pups, or even more than this pair, but for a guy that's tried so many Gibson pups, and boutique pups, Wizz, being one of the best I've had, these do what I was looking for in humbuckers.

Here's a shot of my '58 RI Memphis unbound neck with long pickguard.

image4 (2).jpeg

image2.jpeg

mdubya

Reaction score
I have MHS I and MHS II pickups.

The MHS I are bright and raunchy. They compare favorably with my Tom Holmes pickups which are also bright and raunchy. They are great in the neck position or in the middle position with volumes and tones rolled down a bit. They really come alive. I only like the bridge with the volume and tone rolled down. But I find myself playing Jimmy Page style - middle position and dialing pickup volumes up and down to suit. I have grown to really like them.

The MHS II are more my speed; warmer, clearer, smoother, less raunchy. They are more pleasing to my ears, but I can hear the half deaf crowd calling them muddy (even if they cannot half hear :lol: ). They also thin out a bit by rolling the volumes and tones back a bit (counter intuitive, but that is how 50's wiring works, I think).

The brighter pickups record better, but the sweeter pickups are more pleasing in the room.

MHS I

MHS II

Tom Holmes for good measure.

JMHO.

Airplane

Reaction score
Motown, I have a few other 335’s from the same years that are not ”63’s” and they sound great and play great but these “63’s” stand out for some reason. Kind of difficult to put my finger on it but I think it’s the VOS vibe and the MHS pickups, maybe the nylon saddles, just not sure. However, every time I play one of them it puts a smile on my face!
It’s the nylon saddles. And maybe the hide glue (maybe not). Only reissues had hide glue.

I had a standard Memphis with upgraded harness and vintage bridge (w nylon saddles) that was absolutely killer.

kewl kat

Reaction score
Well, I had the opportunity to A/B the MHS and MHS II. Really glad that I did! And, the winner in the shootout was the MHS II.

I got to hear them side by side out of 3 tube amps, and though they were in different model guitars the tonal difference was obvious in both semi-hollow bodies. And, I can see how P90 fans would love the MHS pickups with a little tweaking.

I like what mdubya said about the comparison between the two. I came away with very similar thoughts regarding the overall brightness of the MHS vs the more warm, clear tone of the MHS II. Both were nice pickups, but now I know what I want.

Hearing them side by side did not do anything about the GAS (Lol), but it helped define now what I know I want to hear when I go to pick one up. Though similarly named, they were surprisingly very different tonally. Go figure (Gibson, right).

mjross

Reaction score
Well, I had the opportunity to A/B the MHS and MHS II. Really glad that I did! And, the winner in the shootout was the MHS II.

I got to hear them side by side out of 3 tube amps, and though they were in different model guitars the tonal difference was obvious in both semi-hollow bodies. And, I can see how P90 fans would love the MHS pickups with a little tweaking.

I like what mdubya said about the comparison between the two. I came away with very similar thoughts regarding the overall brightness of the MHS vs the more warm, clear tone of the MHS II. Both were nice pickups, but now I know what I want.

Hearing them side by side did not do anything about the GAS (Lol), but it helped define now what I know I want to hear when I go to pick one up. Though similarly named, they were surprisingly very different tonally. Go figure (Gibson, right).
Just can not imagine any thing better in my “63’s” than the MHS pickups that are in them! But what works for me my not work for you. Glad you found what you were looking for!

indeedido

Reaction score
Here’s a picture of my “63” Hand Select right before it was shipped. I really dig the color and figuring on this one and like the VOS finish.

This is my “63” Burst! I really like the finish on this one also.

Motown, I have a few other 335’s from the same years that are not ”63’s” and they sound great and play great but these “63’s” stand out for some reason. Kind of difficult to put my finger on it but I think it’s the VOS vibe and the MHS pickups, maybe the nylon saddles, just not sure. However, every time I play one of them it puts a smile on my face! If you can find a “63” I do not think you would be disappointed.
Where there a couple different models in 2014? I have a 2014 Custom Shop Nashville ES-335 '63 reissue, no figuring. I have never pulled the pickups but was told they are 57 classics but to my ears sound like custombuckers. I think mine is called faded cherry. More red than deep red/maroon.

mjross

Reaction score
Where there a couple different models in 2014? I have a 2014 Custom Shop Nashville ES-335 '63 reissue, no figuring. I have never pulled the pickups but was told they are 57 classics but to my ears sound like custombuckers. I think mine is called faded cherry. More red than deep red/maroon.

I can not answer that! But I’m sure there’s someone on this forum that can. I know they were made In Nashville and Memphis but I’m not sure if they were made in both places at the same time. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in!

goldtop0

Reaction score

Both Memphis and Nashville factories were making 335s over the years and to my knowledge Nashville made Gloss with Memphis doing VOS and concentrating on ES and hollowbody models exclusively.
I've got potted Custombuckers in my '14 Nashville 335.

Airplane

Reaction score
Both Memphis and Nashville factories were making 335s over the years and to my knowledge Nashville made Gloss with Memphis doing VOS and concentrating on ES and hollowbody models exclusively.
I've got potted Custombuckers in my '14 Nashville 335.
I don’t think that’s true. My 335 was a standard memphis in gloss with block inlays. shortly after i got mine memphis came out with the „60s Cherry“ variant (gloss with stained maple showing the grain) and the 63 RE with hide glue, pointy ears and thicker neck. also more vintage style color. i‘m not sure if this is a custom shop but these have all CS features but made in nashville.

Airplane

Reaction score
now i have the real deal (more or less) from 69 but what makes the memphis models from back in the day so attractive was the price point and they used the original pressing things (for top, back and sides) from back in the day.
therefore the contours of the top and back are not only vintage correct, they were identical.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s true. My 335 was a standard memphis in gloss with block inlays. shortly after i got mine memphis came out with the „60s Cherry“ variant (gloss with stained maple showing the grain) and the 63 RE with hide glue, pointy ears and thicker neck. also more vintage style color. i‘m not sure if this is a custom shop but these have all CS features but made in nashville.
From what I recall the standard production 335s(in recent times) have a long serial # stamped on the back of the headstock and CS ones have the orange sticker in the f hole.
I'm no expert on these 335s at all as to what exactly happened at Memphis or Nashville other than up until 2019 both facilities also made CS guitars, now it's all at Nashville.

modavis99

Reaction score
From what I recall the standard production 335s(in recent times) have a long serial # stamped on the back of the headstock and CS ones have the orange sticker in the f hole.
I'm no expert on these 335s at all as to what exactly happened at Memphis or Nashville other than up until 2019 both facilities also made CS guitars, now it's all at Nashville.
I thought Nashville stopped making any 335s around 2012

Latest Threads