Ernie Ball 10-52, right strings - right guitar.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
Few months ago I acquired the 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Custom shown in the picture below, a truly great guitar to which I only fitted a set of Sperzel locking tuners and a Shadow "bridge pickup ring tuner", something I do to all my guitars 'cause as a working guitarist I need to make sure that they are and stay(!) in tune, but apart from that the guitar is perfect as it is, electronics and all.
By the way, I have noticed how Sperzel's, probably due to them being heavier than standard tuners, make a guitar sound livelier and just...better!
Experimenting with all sorts of gauges throughout the years, everything from 0.8 to 0.13 has led me to use 0.09-0.42 all my guitars, they sound great, feel great, and they work, nevertheless I always had the feeling that a heavier set would fit this particular guitar better, so last sSaturday, just to get it out of my system, I bought this set of Ernie Ball 10-52 and let me tell you, I was right!
One thing I noticed thought is that it can vary from guitar to guitar; years ago I fitted a set of 0.8s the my Heritage H150 and it sounded wonderful but the same gauge didn't work on a '58 Reissue, even though both guitars have the same brand low output/vintage style pickups.
Anyone else had a similar experience...?
28559F4B-9323-4C19-9428-389CC907AA5E.jpeg
FE720602-5F3B-4C62-A715-C7D03BE3BF82.jpeg

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
Absolutely.

I’ve been messing with string gauges a bit this last year and I’ve decided that I prefer a 9-46 set for most of my guitars but they’re just a bit too floppy feeling on others.

Studmuffen

Reaction score
I sold my 57 historic B.B. started to miss the ole' gal so found a 2008 traditional (almost) mint. It had 10's on it, I'm almost 70, so I put super slinks on it. I had read so much on some old threads that I was scared to try them, and not siding with the die hards.
After finger bruising with the 10's those slinky's just made me love that Les Paul all the more. I set the guitar up for the 10's that were on it, slapped on the super slinky's and that's all there was to it. Hope this helps. I'll worry about the tone when I crank up the amp someday. Lol.

JMP

Reaction score
Like you, I’ve found that it takes some experimenting to find the best strings for a particular guitar. 10-46 feel killer on my R7, while the same strings feel stiff and tough to play on my Traditional. The Trad works best with a 9-42 set.

freddy78

Reaction score
After many experiments with string gauges / brands i have reached to the same conclusion that each guitar works/sounds the best with a specific string set .
it requires some experiments and investment and it might not suit to everyone , for me the final result was worth the effort.

chrisuk

Reaction score
I've gone to 11 - 52 in the Les Paul.

And first time with d'addarios on a solidbody.

motowntom

Reaction score
Wow, I guess I'm just lazy, but I have put d'addario 10-46 on every guitar I've had for the last 45 years, am I missing something? I do all my own setup's and fret work, but never gave it much thought.
Cheers

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I put 10-52 on my (short scale) Jaguar as I couldn't get on with 11s on it as often recommended. I use 10-46 on my LP and SG, though due to problems with my sweat rusting new strings within a 3 hour rehearsal, let alone a gig, I changed to coated Elixir ones.

I've gone up and down on my Strat/Tele from 9s back in the day, then went to 10s on one of my Teles, then settled on 9.5-44 for the long scale Fenders. Anything lighter just feels a little too floppy for my taste. I did play a friend's 'acoustcasonic' Tele at the weekend and it had 12s on it and I thought they might have been 10s, so it does vary from guitar to guitar.

I'm sure years ago I just used to put the 'pink' EB super slinkies on everything, but then I only had two guitars and figured the difference in feel was because one was a LP and the other a Strat.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 9-46 on everything.
Used to run 9s on my Fenders and 10s on my Gibsons, but the 9-46 is a good balance that works well with both scale lengths.

smk506

Reaction score
Wow, I guess I'm just lazy, but I have put d'addario 10-46 on every guitar I've had for the last 45 years, am I missing something? I do all my own setup's and fret work, but never gave it much thought.
Cheers

I did the same for a long time, though not as long as yourself. Nothing wrong with not fixing what isn’t broke, but for $20 you can try something new. Think of it as ordering something you normally wouldn’t at a restaurant

I run 9-46 on everything.
Used to run 9s on my Fenders and 10s on my Gibsons, but the 9-46 is a good balance that works well with both scale lengths.

I’m a few months into my 9-46 phase and little by little I’m switching everything over. I did my strat a few weeks ago anticipating Craig’s listing it but now it’s off the block for awhile.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a few months into my 9-46 phase and little by little I’m switching everything over. I did my strat a few weeks ago anticipating Craig’s listing it but now it’s off the block for awhile.
Yep. The 46 lower end has enough balls not to be too floppy on a Gibson scale tuned to DADGAD, and the 9 top end isn't too much for my old fingers on the Fenders.

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
10-52 just feels right for light touch on fast lead riffs and heavy handed power chords.

... but do what feels comfortable for you to show your confidence on stage!

moreles

Reaction score
Even on LP-scale guitars I have never needed bass string that are that heavy -- at all. Since I rarely play chugging full barre chords, and instead play melodic single-note lines and riffs, or partial (3 or 4 note) chords, I much prefer reducing the difference in gauge between the highest and lowest strings. I'll often go up to an 11 on top, and lighten the bottom to 42, maybe 44. I love the feeling of playing across and up and down the neck without feeling like I've got cables or spider webs under my fingers. Adjusting PU height gives me sufficient output balance.

Latest Threads