Equator D5 monitors

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just want to share 2 things.

1- What a great sounding monitor for really cheap!
2- What a great company, with awesome customer service/support!

I recently had to order another D5. It was shipped via UPS to me here in Canada from California. UPS calls and tells me that the brokerage fee is $69! :wow: Thats for a $150 speaker!
I refused delivery and it got sent back to the company.
I then got the president of the company (Ted) on the phone and he was shocked to learn that this was what UPS was doing. So he said he would eat the original shipping charge (since I refused delivery) and ship them to me another way to avoid the insane brokerage fee UPS leverages.

Equator! Can't praise them enough....get their D5s :dude:

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I've seen you recommend those before, and with the price I definitely plan on upgrading to those at some point I the near future!

Bing17

Reaction score
As far as I can determine, the only way to get these are by ordering online. Am I correct? Aside for your review, Sound on Sound also reviewed these very highly. I'm sold. I want a pair.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As far as I can determine, the only way to get these are by ordering online. Am I correct? Aside for your review, Sound on Sound also reviewed these very highly. I'm sold. I want a pair.

Yeah they are so good. Order online (or by phone) is what they offer. No middleman means the price is rock bottom, and you have 60 days to audition them in your own space, money back guarantee, no questions asked. It's just unbeatable.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I am getting a pair in a couple weeks as a xmas gift for myself :laugh2: Have seen nothing but great things about them

decoy205

Reaction score
I actually only heard good things about them so far. Coming from you that is a big endorsement.

fuzzyguitars

Reaction score
I am glad that you like em.

Everyone that has a pair loves em.

That is why I recommended em.

Do you use subs with yours?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am glad that you like em.

Everyone that has a pair loves em.

That is why I recommended em.

Do you use subs with yours?

Yes, you were the guy? girl? that recommended them and I really thank you for that. I seriously was prepared to spend a whole lot more than what I got the D5s for and I love them....I mean LOVE them!

I have a problem with one of them though....just happened today. The blue LED on the front burned out...no biggie...good incentive to pull it apart and take a peek at the guts :D

Yes I use mine with a sub for mixing, especially for 5.1 mixes, but more and more I've been listening without the sub.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Is there any point having 4 monitors? I currently have a pair of Yorkville YSM2P monitors (which sound fantastic!) but my Delta-44 has 4 outs and these Equators are tempting. I don't really have a need to plug up all four outputs, but they're just sitting there looking at me.. :hmm:

If I did have 4 monitors, how would they be set for best use? The Yorkvilles say 3' apart and 3' to my ears triangulation. Would there be interference/cancellation by adding another set of monitors? Is there a better use for the extra outputs?

I'm still completely new to all of this but it's a fun thing learning about proper audio handling :thumb:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is there any point having 4 monitors? I currently have a pair of Yorkville YSM2P monitors (which sound fantastic!) but my Delta-44 has 4 outs and these Equators are tempting. I don't really have a need to plug up all four outputs, but they're just sitting there looking at me.. :hmm:

If I did have 4 monitors, how would they be set for best use? The Yorkvilles say 3' apart and 3' to my ears triangulation. Would there be interference/cancellation by adding another set of monitors? Is there a better use for the extra outputs?

I'm still completely new to all of this but it's a fun thing learning about proper audio handling :thumb:

Absolutely good idea to have two different reference points. Here's a pic of my workspace....notice there are 2 sets of monitors? Meyers HD-1 and Genelecs. Even though I don't like the Genelecs at all, I will occassionally switch to them just to get a different perspective.

P1030749_zpse96b52f0.jpg

That being said, yeah I had the Yorkvilles at home. They drove me nuts! Sure they seem to sound OK but mixes on them never translated well to the outside world. My advice would be to get the Equators, give them the sweetspot position and set your yorkvilles up beside them as a secondary reference...or an even better place to put them would be on kijiji :D

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Ohh Yamaha user!!!..... I want to get the YAMAHA 02R V2 in a few months......

Thanks for the tip on cheap good monitors.

Have you worked with KRK monitors? do you like them?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've used KRK. Not in the same league as the Equators...not even close.

As far as the Yamaha console...I never actually route audio signal through it, I don't like the sound of it. I just use it as a control surface for the DAW.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score

As far as the Yamaha console...I never actually route audio signal through it, I don't like the sound of it. I just use it as a control surface for the DAW.

Ohhhh we want it for live stuff......:hmm:

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNPUzg9oYzA]Equator Audio: Why coaxial speakers? - YouTube[/ame]

yeti

Reaction score

I use a pair of KRK V8's for PFL monitoring (not a recording studio application but live production work) and a pair of V4's as my small monitors. I think they are pretty much worthless but it's what's on board at my day job.
The Yamaha console actually makes a fine AES audio router, just don't use any of the onboard processing or AD/DA converters.:cool:

fuzzyguitars

Reaction score
I also have a set of Kirk v8's and they are good for mixing rock and metal.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Just got my pair of D5's, first impressions are great! Now to spend some time learning them. Great stereo separation, mids are very clear. I may add a sub sometime in the future to get a better idea of sub-bass but other than that I am very happy with them so far.

Rock Johnson

Reaction score
I got a pair in November and I absolutely love them. The D5s are the real deal.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
every day when I sit down and listen to mine the thrill remains! best $300 I've spent in years :dude:

twangydave

Reaction score
I really fancied a pair of these when I was shopping for monitors a few months ago, sadly they are not such a bargain in the UK, they cost £350 (US $565) and Equator will not ship to the UK as they have official dealers here. I ended up with a second hand pair of Yamaha MSP5's which had been really well looked after and sound really good. You guys are well lucky being able to buy the D5's new at such a great price.

Latest Threads