EQ Pedal In My Amp's Loop Query

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I notice that after 30 minutes of playin my Dark Terror, I start to lose the highs due to my amp warming completely along with the speaker coil. The only pedal I run is an MRX delay in the amp loop. Would a 6-band e.q. pedal add back the disappearing highs? Would the e.q. be good when placed before the delay? I do not use any boosts or OD pedals. I rely only on the amp's ample gain circuit. I have in mind the compact MXR M109S 6-band e.q.

Classicplayer

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use the EQ in front (and therefore before the gain stage) it can be used as a boost for certain frequencies and as a level control. In the loop, it's a fine tuner before output and might be more useful to you there, once the amp has warmed up.
I don't know what EQ pedal to recommend. I have Boss GE-7 that I don't use but works fine, I guess :)

monty john

Reaction score
I have the same pedal...I use it in front of my Bogner Ecstacy = the amp has a lot of gain and use it as a boost of sorts...can dial in the sound highs etc ... for weeks I would just tweak a little here and there and got it just where I wanted it....adds clarity and boost highly recomend if your amp has a lot of gain..plus the carbon copy is dark and will lose highs there

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have the same pedal...I use it in front of my Bogner Ecstacy = the amp has a lot of gain and use it as a boost of sorts...can dial in the sound highs etc ... for weeks I would just tweak a little here and there and got it just where I wanted it....adds clarity and boost highly recomend if your amp has a lot of gain..plus the carbon copy is dark and will lose highs there
Does it add any noise to your setup with the Bogner?

Classicplayer

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd be more into finding out why your amp is losing highs.....as in address the cause rather than treating the symptom.
The other thing could be that you are playing so loud that your ears are naturally fatiguing - and you do lose the top end when this happens.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a ge7 in the loop of my sv20h, I love it.

monty john

Reaction score
Does it add any noise to your setup with the Bogner?

Classicplayer
No noise what so ever...BUT i put it in front of the amp after wah wah and use it as a boost/crunch enhancer..don't even know how to describe it .. but if I use a dirt pedal etc it muddies up the sound...the mxr was the great solution to goosing an already smokin amp adding in some highs low end it sounds amazing on a high gain amp...

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I'd be more into finding out why your amp is losing highs.....as in address the cause rather than treating the symptom.
The other thing could be that you are playing so loud that your ears are naturally fatiguing - and you do lose the top end when this happens.
I’m playing at bedroom volume, my Dark Terror is an Orange product where it's normal to have an abundance of low mids in its character. I'm borrowing an inexpensive Fish N Chips e.q. for the next few days and try that in the loop and see if it brings back the highs. I'm waiting until I determine if the e.q. is a solution before I spring for a new MXR 6-band.

Classicplayer

ARandall

Reaction score
But amps in good working order don't tend to change character after 30 mins though, irrespective of what they are like generically.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Thats an odd symptom, ive never heard of an amp loosing high end after 30mins of playing Either, id be looking at a quick checkup on the Orange

ARandall

Reaction score
Yeah, I addressed that point earlier - but he's said bedroom volumes, so I'm assuming this means the same sort of level as the TV

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Yeah, I addressed that point earlier - but he's said bedroom volumes, so I'm assuming this means the same sort of level as the TV
My Dark Terror volume is not much louder than a TV volume that one can talk over. The amp is on its 7 watt (rather than 15 watts) mode. The amp is not known for much headroom. I'm not so sure that my local power utility is supplying the proper line voltage continuously; especially in summer months.

My experiment with a Fish N' Chips e.q. in the loop tells me that I can add highs to my amp tone. Next step is to use the little e.q. when my amp gets fully warmed up and, and if it retrieves the highs. I do keep high quality tubes in my amp and even though the current set are nearing 12 months of use, the loss of highs is also heard even with newer tubes.

It could also be my hearing which through the aging process has lost some midrange frequencies. The fact that my ss practice also has diminished highs after a session with it, could mean the issue is hearing-based.

Classicplayer

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, I had just come across a thread of yours from 2013 where you'd explained about your hearing. I can't imagine its gotten better since then.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Yes, I had just come across a thread of yours from 2013 where you'd explained about your hearing. I can't imagine its gotten better since then.
No, it's not gotten better. I hear all the frequencies from my guitars and amps at the begining of a practice session, but those diminished highs may be my ears adjusting to the sound pressure and decibel levels a bit more noticeable now than when I was younger. I've been playing nearly 70 years; the last 40 years entirely electric with a prior 25-year hiatus for acoustic only. Tough getting past the geezer stage into Methuselah status..

Classicplayer

Mookakian

Reaction score
Ok, well an EQ is a good idea, i wonder if you'll be adding high end and that will make your ear trouble worse though. Maybe invest in some good earplugs, earjobs are only cheap and do a pretty good job, they dont take out too much of the highs/high mids so you can still hear the guitar ok, then you can add highs in the loop and not risk making your hearing worse.

Latest Threads