Epoxy for neck joint.

joesatch

Reaction score
Has anyone used Epoxy for gluing a mahogany neck onto a mahogany body? I know 99.99% of you want me to use Titebond but i have other reasons for this particular guitar. I would be using Z-Poxy. Is there any issue with this?

pshupe

Reaction score
Well you'd better tell us the reason because there are lots of reasons to not use Epoxy! ;-) A quick google search says it bonds to wood and is used for laminating or sealing. What else would you like to know? If you already have some then test it on some scrap. If you don't other Epoxy might be better but epoxy is very unforgiving. If you do not set the neck properly or want to remove down the road you cannot. It seems you know that though.

Regards Peter.

JesseXGibson

Reaction score
I wouldn't. I don't have a lot of experience with epoxy but I certainly can't see it being a better hold than hot hide glue or titebond

pshupe

Reaction score
so it wont hold?

I'm not really sure what you are after here. You know you will not get a luthier, or hobbyist luthier, to say it's a good idea to use any kind of epoxy for a neck joint.

Google it and see what it says. Read the manufacturer's instructions. It seems Z-Poxy is mainly used as a gap filler and to laminate fibreglass and foam to wood. I'm sure it will work to bond wood to wood but as I said it is not it's recommended use.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

I'd still like to hear why you think epoxy is your only option. You may be right but without an explanation it's gonna be a tough sell.

Regards Peter.

joesatch

Reaction score
F you all, imma try it. I got this neck it has been grain filled entirely with epoxy. Epoxy bonds to epoxy and no i'm not sanding it down to wood.

DaveR

Reaction score
F you all, imma try it. I got this neck it has been grain filled entirely with epoxy. Epoxy bonds to epoxy and no i'm not sanding it down to wood.

Is it grain filled in the joint area? Grain filling (regardless of what it’s filled with) is typically sanded down to wood anyway, so it’s only filling the pores. You don’t want a coating of epoxy on top of the wood and definitely not in a glue joint. I’ve never glued a neck with epoxy, but I’ve used it for inlay. Never found it to be absolutely rock hard when cured, which you want in a neck joint and that’s why a lot of guys like hide glue. I’m sure Epoxy will hold a neck in place but may not offer optimal sustain and won’t be fun if the neck ever has to come back off. HHG and titebond 1 are easily reversible with water and heat. Epoxy is not easily reversible. But it sounds like you already know all this.

There are also different types of ZPoxy. One is specifically good for grain filling. Others are thicker and better for inlay work. If you used the thin grain filling stuff, I wouldn’t turn around and use the same thing to glue in a neck.

Why ask for opinions if you've firmly made up your mind? And your comment above seems a bit heated. I don’t think anybody has been rude to you here.

joesatch

Reaction score
the neck joint areas are epoxy filled, i aint sanding it, imma epoxy it, clamp it and finish it

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Wrong product, wrong application, and you're ignoring the advice of luthiers and repairmen who have literally CENTURIES of combined experience with all manner of guitars and other instruments.

If that's your attitude, then maybe this is not the forum where you will be particularly welcome. I know that I for one will NEVER give you advice again beyond the last word in this post. You do it your way. You think you know what you're doing. :squint::laugh2:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If ever I should come across a guitar where some idiot built it with epoxy in the neck joint, it's going to be flying toward the nearest dumpster as fast as I can throw it. I know when the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Latest Threads