Epiphones Getting Gibson Headstock Designs Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jktxs

Reaction score
Gibson are fine with using the open book headstock on their other brands as long as they aren't in direct competition. Which also means we probably won't see it on regular Epis anytime soon.

Walmart Maestros

Japan domestic market Orvilles/Epis

dspelman

Reaction score
With a declining market share I've been saying for a long time build Gibsons at the China factory they own and leave a custom shop in Nashville.
There are Gibson managers who've been recommending this for the last decade. I've had beers with a few of them. My thought is to begin a Gibson (China) brand that's theoretically limited to the Chinese market. Build them with none-nitro finishes and offer some modern features (Floyds, shaved neck heels, jumbo frets, 16" radius fretboard, etc.). Maintain Nashville as the home of the "lifestyle" guitars at the top end, with fully traditional materials and construction. "Made In the USA" and all that.

At some point, we'll see a grey market in Gibson (China) guitars coming in through Vancouver, etc., and eventually the home office boys will be "forced" to make those available in the US as well. Gibson will eventually become both the traditional builder (in Nashville) and a more modern builder (China) and will have the best of both markets.

Epiphone management is more than capable of producing world-class guitars, but is traditionally limited by Gibson management as part of Gibson's long-standing anti-Epiphone culture. But if it says "Gibson" on the headstock, they'll have to support it. And Epiphone will become a much better brand for it, because sneaky Epiphone management will be able to compete with Gibson (China) as well.

jbrowning

Reaction score
So with this happening. Will it increase the market price for the Epiphones with the old head stock?

Also, will all the plants be forced to use the new head stock?

Jim

Last edited:

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
I think it'll be the opposite. I think the old headstock style will become less desirable so there may be clearance prices at stores to clear out the old stock to make room for the new.
At first, yes.

But I reckon within five years 'pre-book Epi headstock' will become a desirable thing.

Which is fine by me, as an Epiphone devotee.

(By 'devotee', incidentally, I mean only that, below a grand, you get a better guitar from Epiphone than Gibson, generally, bang-for-buck-wise.)

LPJR

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen or played one of these CDM models? Seen them come up a few times in conversation, but no first hand encounters.
Have a JDM Junior with e Gibby headstock

fleahead

Reaction score
Soooooooooooo, where is the change? No word, not gonna happen

diskotekno

Reaction score
Have a JDM Junior with e Gibby headstock
Yeah. That's why I find it odd. JDM are easy to get a hold of, but I've never seen a CDM.

I know the CDM were a limited run, but I would have expected one to appear on a forum somewhere. Would love a go on the Melody Maker....

LPJNoob

Reaction score
I think they can eliminate a lot of the market for Chibson Les Pauls if they just put the headstock right and get them in people's hands for $350 or less.
Could they make any money @ that price point though?

fry

Reaction score
I think it'll be the opposite. I think the old headstock style will become less desirable so there may be clearance prices at stores to clear out the old stock to make room for the new.
This is exactly the way I see it playing out. If the new headstock comes out, demand for the old one is going to plummet. Any existing inventory in the stores is going to start gathering dust, they’re probably going to have to blow them out at bargain prices. I don’t hate the current headstock, but I don’t love it. The proposed new one is much better, and I would rather have that if there was a choice. It will be interesting to see how it goes, whenever this actually happens.

DrBGood

Reaction score
So, you should get rid of all your old Epis before they're worth nothing.

I'll give you a dime on the dollar for any of them.

Dave Makowski

Reaction score
My wife owns a 2002 "Made in Korea" Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I helped her pick it out. It has a very unique Blue 'Burst finish and she has insisted on keeping the guitar 100% factory stock. The pickup's actually sound pretty good. I contacted the folks at Epiphone and they told me the pickup's were made with Alnico V Magnets. Alnico V's are my personal favorite humbuckers. Here is a picture of wifey's 2002 Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
1576275935274.jpeg

djw171

Reaction score
If they put that new “60s Kalamazoo” headstock on the Les Paul Customs (AND keep the ebony fretboards) I will buy one for sure.
I was thinking the same thing. I've been giving some thought to a Epi LP Custom for a while, interested to see what they show at Namm in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads