Epiphones Getting Gibson Headstock Designs Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Headstock shape does not affect tone, but it can affect tuning stability and guitar balance. So I don't care about the headstock shape as long as it does not affect these latter two factors. I like my Epi, and its headstock just fine. It won't be mistaken for a Gibson by anybody in the know. But I only care about how it sounds, which is pretty darn good!

MePapa

Reaction score
I actually prefer the Epi headstock to the Gibson.
I suppose I'm in a minority.
My suggestion is why change the headstock to increase import sales?
They can increase import sales just by putting in actual Gibson electronics.
Improve the quality instead of fooling people with a headstock change. If they are going to change the headstock , why not just put Gibson on it too?
I suppose it's the dollar bottom line.
My Epiphone box on the bottom says..."a part of the Gibson family.

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 95

Dolebludger

Reaction score
MePapa,

I agree with you 100%, except I have never cared about headstock design in making a guitar purchase, unless it degrades tuning stability and/or balance. I have said that I really like my Epi (with the present headstock), but I must say that I had to add considerable electronic and hardware upgrades to get it that way. That is not true of all new Epis, I know. But from reading here, it is the case with way too many. Gibson needs to improve Epi's electronics and hardware, and forget about the headstock.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, of course, Gibson can change the Epi headstock design, if they wish. But for us players, headstock shape hasn’t been the problem with Epis. The problem has been electronics, hardware, and fret level. Gibson needs to improve their Epi line in these areas, priority. Then if they want to change the headstock design, that is their right. As far as headstock shape is concerned, “frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”!

Norton

Reaction score
“I never cared about the headstock shape.”

Whatta crock of bs. If we put a super pointy headstock on a Les Paul or an otherwise strange or design wise incongruous shaped headstock on any of your well known bodies....there would be cries of “¡ Foul !!!” And other expletives etc.

It’s all part of the visual and functional package. The major importance of X element could be esthetics, but that doesn’t make it less important.

The visual design element is crucial to the overall presentation. They got it right, mostly on luck, with the Stratocaster, the tele and the Les Paul etc.

But make no mistake the design teams paid great attention to all the elements we see, And many we don’t, in the creation of these machines.

DrBGood

Reaction score
They got it right, mostly on luck, with the Stratocaster, the tele and the Les Paul etc.
The Tele headstock, really ? It's one of the most botch jobs I know of an excuse for a headstock.Take any headstock shape and it can be turned into a simili Tele shape. It's like they had a too narrow Strat neck stock and couldn't make it happen.

But it's now worshipped because the human race will adapt to anything. It's a bit like the quote: If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it

Dolebludger

Reaction score
When I said I "didn't care" about headstock shape, it was in the context of whether Epi changes its headstock to a more Gibson-lke one. No, I don't care about that. But I agree that headstocks can be ridiculous when combined with certain bodies.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
As far as electronics, hardware, and fret work, Gibson needs to clean up up "Gibson" in these matters. My last two Epi's were superior to Gibson in those regards.

Filipem

Reaction score
Epiphone makes a great product, I haven't bought one in a few years but I'm happy with the one I have. If they go the Gibson headstock route and make them look like those Japan models from a few years back I'm sure it will attract customers who have dismissed them in the past

scrumm21

Reaction score
Might as well chime in with my 2 cents worth.
As stated before, I finally picked up a guitar for the 1st time at age 57 (5 yrs ago)
I grew up idolizing the great r+r guitarists - Many of whom were playing Gibsons.
The iconic look of the Gibson and its headstock has Always stood apart and above all others - for me anyway.
While I Love my 3 current Epiphone LP's ( 2 of which are heavily modified \ upgraded - with ReWind pups in one and ECP's in another ) - the headstocks are The 1 thing I do not care for...At All.
I still give them equal love as I rotate playing them and my 2 gibsons and the ObG..
Snobbish? I guess.....funny thing is my playing abilities are such that I will Never do justice to a Gibson Les Paul.
But I have tons of fun and to me the Les Paul will always be associated with the Gibson headstock.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I think the giant headstock with the tree of life inlay works great on big archtops.
The smaller the body, the goofier the headstock looks.
Despite what some think, I am sure that headstock mass makes a big difference in the sound of a guitar.
I have gigged, and continue to gig, some great sounding Epiphones, side-by-side with some very zoot Gibsons and Fenders, and I've often wondered how much the big headstock helps push the mediocre materials and construction up a few notches.

Fergyuk

Reaction score
With a declining market share I've been saying for a long time build Gibsons at the China factory they own and leave a custom shop in Nashville.

Many laughed.

Well....

There's no question Epiphone quality has increased and they offer some high caliber guitars these days.

Now comes this news tidbit.

"Having spent much of 2019 overhauling and improving the company’s USA-made core line, we don’t yet know when Gibson will turn its attention to its ever-popular budget brand Epiphone, but an Instagram post from the company’s CMO Cesar Gueikian has hinted that big changes might be afoot for its most popular electric guitars. "

https://guitar.com/news/industry-ne...e-guitars-could-look-significantly-different/
That's nothing new......
That's the point, the top post was posted this year as if the was about to happen, that ad poster below is from 2013 as is my 2013 Crestwood
IMG_0562.JPG

Attachments

• 952A004F-4FF0-4745-8317-9811A49C2221.jpg
    952A004F-4FF0-4745-8317-9811A49C2221.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads