Epiphones Getting Gibson Headstock Designs Soon

Pappy58

Reaction score
Feck Gibson and China! I buy used Made in USA Gibsons...and unless a spectactular old Gibby is offered I'm done. Happy and content with what I have. Sending money to China is feed ing a monster that has long term plans to assimilate the world.

Astrokreep

Reaction score
Has there been any word about model changes? I’m kinda interested in another Epi LP but owning two already I’m hoping for more than just the headstock changed. (I own a 2002 standard and 2013 standard pro)

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I’ve had MIC, MIK and MIJ Epiphones, several Gibsons and several Chibsons. Believe what you want, but Chibsons can easily be Epiphone quality if you pick the right seller and know what to ask for.

That's the sort of thing I would tell myself when I was younger and too poor to buy a real guitar.

Now I buy real guitars.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Feck Gibson and China! I buy used Made in USA Gibsons...and unless a spectactular old Gibby is offered I'm done. Happy and content with what I have. Sending money to China is feed ing a monster that has long term plans to assimilate the world.
You're absolutely correct ...

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Gibson style headstocks will sell more epi's. They just will. The Gibson headstock looks nicer and is more recognizable/iconic. I know it's a headstock but it's a thing with potential buyers. Fender, PRS, ESP, Ibanez etc.... all have their budget/ import lines with the same headstocks as their domestic line for a reason.
Finally.... someone that gets it 100%. :bowdown

Pappy58

Reaction score
So nothing in your home was made in China?

:hmm:
Certainly can't say nothing, thats impossible with the sellouts our corporations and politicians have executed the last 30 years! But I do go outta my way to avoid anything made there. Look at Hong Kong right now and their actions in the south China Sea. ! :mad2:

greens

Reaction score
That's the sort of thing I would tell myself when I was younger and too poor to buy a real guitar.

Now I buy real guitars.
I'm not young, and have had a number of expensive guitars, previously and currently. So what I'm saying is not that sort of thing. But like I said, believe what you want.

moreles

Reaction score
In my experience the quality pecking order is clear, but the value-for-money question is far less certain now that even budget guitars are often made to excellent tolerances. While there are exceptions, in my experience Gibsons are generally better than Japanese Epis that are better than Korean which are better than Chinese. Though I have encountered some really crappy Epis, they are relatively few in number and IMO Epi deserves its rising reputation. But better than Gibson? I would say no, definitely no. The Gibson QC issues, with electrics, are now largely historical. For some time now, the company has made a concerted effort to hit higher marks, and most people find that they have. I have no love for Gibson as a company, but credit where credit's due. The claim that Asian-made LP-alikes exceed Gibsons in quality is not true to my experience. I love Japanese guitars, particularly, for what they are -- not because they're somehow better than an American piece. I think things are worth what the market determines, but I would confidently play a solid Epi anywhere, anytime, without blinking an eye.

Filipem

Reaction score
Lol I love this forum. How many times does a thread about something like a headstock shape end up with a Gibson vs Epiphone comparison.

The headstock change to a Gibson open book style is a smart move. One that should happened years ago. Hell they should also remove the epiphone name all together and use the Gibson name on the guitars modeled after their US counterparts.

Then watch the cash roll in.

leofender55

Reaction score
A few years back I had an Eppi Les Paul with the Gibson style headstock. The electronics and pups in it sucked so I sold it off.

MechEngVic

Reaction score
Anyone who says looks has nothing to do with it is lying to us and themselves. I big part of the success of the LP is because of how they look. Many a guitar player decided on an LP long before he or she ever played a guitar, because they saw their favorite band playing one and it looked bitchen! And the Gibson headstock is the most beautiful of them all.

CivoLee

Reaction score
I don't get the headstock haters. Do you constantly look at the headstock while playing, and shudder, causing you to blow notes in front of an audience? Come on, it's a headstock. It's purpose is to hold the tuners. Get over it. (Unless it's a wangcaster. then hold your head in shame for even owning one.)
So you don't care that Gibson intentionally creates an obvious visual difference between their upper end models and their lower end models so that the buyer knows they don't have the "real thing" unless they pony up the cash, which many players (especially younger players, you know, the next generation of pro musicians) simply can't do? Gibson sold a bunch of Fenders, Schecters, ESPs and Deans when they refused to offshore their brand for the budget-minded musicians...if you ask me, they ought to pull the plug on the Gibson-derived Epiphones (LP, SG, V, Explorer, and Firebird) and rebrand them as Gibson International

Epiphone can keep the Wilshire and maybe bring back the Genesis as a full time model if they want to sell a full thickness solidbody

no jimmy p

Reaction score
I have an Epi ES-339 . After a proper setup , it's a top notch guitar .
Not a $2000 difference between it and a Gibson of the same model .