Epiphones Getting Gibson Headstock Designs Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rifflearner

Reaction score
I don't want to sidetrack this into a PRS discussion, but I think the PRS SE line has exceptional quality, not just for a guitar at that price point, but for one much higher. Frankly, I think the quality of the PRS SE line is its big selling point and the reason they've gained so much market share.

The new Epiphones do away with the dipped in plastic finish. I have yet to hold one myself, but it's a comment that comes up in the early reviews often.

Les Kiwi

Reaction score
I agree with the comment about the Epiphone finish. It really has lost that plastic feel. Definitely not as thick as they used to be. Feels good as my Special really resonates acoustically.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I simply don't care AT ALL for Epiphones or even PRS's SE line. The differences in quality and finish totally put me off of GIbson and PRS's budget brands. I don't want to see Gibson's quality dropped to Epiphone's level.

I'm not saying that Epiphones are bad. They're GOOD, at their price point. They're well made guitars with very decent workmanship but they're built to a price point and I sure don't care in the slightest for their "dipped in polyester" thick hard finishes, which have always been, and will always be, CHEAP and unappealing.

The reason I build my own guitars is because (1) I love it and (2) it's the only way for me to get guitars of a quality level that suits my (I openly admit it) snobbish and expensive tastes within my limited budget.
Fortunately for us who buy instead of build there are decent guitars at all price points, and I have guitars at several price points.

The thick finish on an Epi might hold the neck tight and prevent that Gibson designed neck from snapping :cheers2: :)

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I beg to differ. Epiphones are built to a decent standard and they always meet it. But MOST Gibsons are built to a higher standard. It's the ones that fall short that get the negative attention.

I've owned a few Gibsons and every one of them was better than any Epiphone I've ever seen. I've only seen a few Gibsons that really had SERIOUS issues. I've seen lots of Gibsons that I'd be proud to own but don't.

There are lots of reasons why I would say that your average Gibson is higher quality than any Epiphone, and just one is the finish quality. I'm VERY attuned to finish quality and I'm even not very impressed with the overly thick but very shiny, very smooth, very professional finish that PRS puts on their main line guitars. Nice as it is, I think it's too thick. I know why they make them that thick, it's so that they are assured of getting through finish processing without sanding through the finish, but it's too thick for my standards. The Epiphone finish isn't even close to what I'd consider a good finish, and it shows poor leveling more often than not. But as thick as it is, I don't know if the leveling issue is in the finish or in the wood. It could be either.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
I've only seen a few Gibsons that really had SERIOUS issues.
The gibson section of this board is full of them,
11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

Flaw1.jpgFlaw2.jpgFlaw3.jpg

maybe you should praise them in their own section
gladiator-epi.jpg

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of these are terrible, other are normal for Gibson, File marks are there since original bursts, take it or move on.
QC is a dead horse, they will never change,

Apple with orange anyway,

Epiphone doesnt have nibs, and binding it’s just a piece of plastic that doesnt need scraping or handmade rolling. Fret ends are just cut and smoothed out a bit, but typically very edgy and high on the edges.

Doesnt make sense to compare a Gibson with a Epiphone, construction wise, but I understand this make Epi customers and Gibson haters feeling like they didnt buy a cheap guitar because of budget, but because they are better. Eh eh eh...

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
Doesnt make sense to compare a Gibson with a Epiphone
Yep - not really.

it makes even less sense to praise Epis in the Gibson-section
or vice versa

I always wonder what fails are accepted when buying Gibsons
and what fails are not accepted when buying Epis

closed-1.jpg

Status