Epiphones Getting Gibson Headstock Designs Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBGood

Reaction score
OK dudes and dudettes, time for your medecine. A week ago, when I saw this coming I started working on a new formula. I offer it to you here, today.

BEANO.jpg

Pappy58

Reaction score
Maybe this section of the forum is not suited for you

View attachment 433750
.My apologies, and I mean no disrespect, but my opinions are my opinions....and yes I have a bad attitude about China....and with good reason I think. But whatever I'll gladly stay out of your sandbox!

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Thing is ...

Gibson might be seeing its client base dwindle with age. Potential buyers that within a few years will suffer from arthritis that will prevent them from playing guitar. Maybe they're thniking of the future of the company, of younger players that don't have a care for older style-technology-dogma guitars. There are presently plenty Gibson guitars out there to fulfill the boomer's appetite for "better" made instruments until they croak.
yeah but the future of the company wasnt the firebird X or these weird green and minty wash les pauls. Used les pauls are perfectly affordable...they have pretty bad resale value ..but if someone wants a new affordable gibson..make the studio line what it used to be when it came out in the late 80's..to cut down costs make a 3 piece mahogany back with a dark back or opaque rear finish. im cool with the colors but maybe keep them on the affordable guitars..like make metallic finishes or even those weird green finishes on the lower end instead of the standards...they can also do natural faux binding on them. Gibson needs to keep an affordable US line and stop expanding the Epi line..there will always be copyright problems when dealing with that side of the world (should have stayed in Korea). keep the epiphone les pauls and Gibson style guitars in the sub $500 category..just have a handful of high end Epi archtops.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
gibson can easily make a $700 junior. the melody maker guitars were real shit cause they wanted them to be, the studio fadeds were pretty nice guitars...they could have made good juniors with that wood

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Gibson needs to keep an affordable US line and stop expanding the Epi line.
I guess they would make a lot $$ less on the affordable US Gibsons than on the higher priced Asian Epis....

there will always be copyright problems when dealing with that side of the world
(should have stayed in Korea )
LOL, that's where the Chinese Fakers got their templates from

Last edited:

rifflearner

Reaction score
in a minority here, but I'm kind of sorry to see the old Epi headstock go,
it had an elegance all of its own. Why does every guitar have to look like a Gibson ?
I had a feeling this would happen. As soon as you reduce the supply, the demand goes up. I'm sure in 10 years, people will be clamoring for this old headstock and Epiphone will show up at NAMM 2030 with this headstock and a big campaign about going back to their roots. :)

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I had a feeling this would happen. As soon as you reduce the supply, the demand goes up. I'm sure in 10 years, people will be clamoring for this old headstock and Epiphone will show up at NAMM 2030 with this headstock and a big campaign about going back to their roots. :)
Not likely. This “new” headstock is going back to their roots. And people have been bithcin’ about the clipped ear headstock since it was introduced. Good riddance to it, and may it never rear its ugly face again.:cheers2:

fry

Reaction score
Not likely. This “new” headstock is going back to their roots. And people have been bithcin’ about the clipped ear headstock since it was introduced. Good riddance to it, and may it never rear its ugly face again.:cheers2:
I agree 100%. I was going to reply to that post, but I was convinced that he was being sarcastic.

GerryL98

Reaction score
Anyone word if Epiphone got that changed too? Makes no difference to me if they did or didn’t. Just curious.

red_bull

Reaction score
and less people will buy Gibsons......
No because they're not buying them now because they're too expensive. Fender got it right years ago with the same looking MIM strats. If not all those sales would have gone somewhere else.

Rickomaniac

Reaction score
I think some people will try to change it into a fake Gibson which will possibly fool some unsuspecting second hand buyer. I owned an Epiphone and it was great, although I much prefer my Gibson but that’s nothing to do with the headstock...

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I simply don't care AT ALL for Epiphones or even PRS's SE line. The differences in quality and finish totally put me off of GIbson and PRS's budget brands. I don't want to see Gibson's quality dropped to Epiphone's level.

I'm not saying that Epiphones are bad. They're GOOD, at their price point. They're well made guitars with very decent workmanship but they're built to a price point and I sure don't care in the slightest for their "dipped in polyester" thick hard finishes, which have always been, and will always be, CHEAP and unappealing.

The reason I build my own guitars is because (1) I love it and (2) it's the only way for me to get guitars of a quality level that suits my (I openly admit it) snobbish and expensive tastes within my limited budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.