Epiphones are defective according to my recent buyer

darkvoice

Reaction score
I recently sold a high end Epiphone Les Paul and upon receiving the guitar buyer wrote to me how impressed he was with the guitar, the way it was set up, how it played, that it was constructed better than his Gibson and that he would keep the guitar forever. Sounded like a happy buyer, right?

Fast forward few days I get a refund request for the reason that guitar was not as described. I asked the buyer what exactly the problem was and he responded that it was defective because head was JOINED to the neck. Still not sure what the problem was I asked for photos of defective area. When I looked at the photos I saw typical head-to-neck join, just like on any Epiphone guitar. You can guess that the buyer expected the head and neck to be one piece, just like on his Gibson LP.

I attempted to explain that this's how all Epiphones are made, that their construction's different from Gibson's one-piece head-neck and that this two piece design actually is considered less prone to neck breakage than Gibson's design. I sent him couple links to articles and forum discussions about the specific's of Epiphone design, that this construction is considered stronger and advised him to do his own research on the topic. The response I got back was that I was trying to find a way to decline his request and that he was not comfortable playing and keeping guitar with such flaw!

At that point I gave up and agreed to take the guitar back.

Did you have similar experience? What do you even say to people like that?

fry

Reaction score
My first question is, how long ago did you make the sale? I think reverb is run by people who are a little more knowledgeable about musical instruments, unlike eBay. I believe they usually give people about seven days to file a claim. I would absolutely fight it, it’s worth fighting over. Your correspondence with the buyer will all be on the record for them to see. You can explain that a scarf joint is very common on many guitars, not at all a defect. I once had somebody buy a guitar, left me glowing feedback, particularly about how well I packed it. Four weeks later, they asked for a refund, claimed that it was damaged and was going to require a lot of expensive work. Complete bullshit, of course. This was eBay, and he paid with PayPal. That means of course I lost. I did fight though. I was forced to take the guitar back, and there wasn’t a damn thing wrong with it, he was lying. I say fight like hell.

EDIT: Upon rereading the original post, it looks like you already agreed to take it back. At this point, I think you’re out of options. I don’t think you can un-agree to take it back. Might be just as well, but I think it would’ve been worth pushing back harder. When something similar happened to me, I relisted and sold the guitar again, the new buyer was as happy as could be with it, all‘s well that ends well.

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
hi
My first question is, how long ago did you make the sale? I think reverb is run by people who are a little more knowledgeable about musical instruments, unlike eBay. I believe they usually give people about seven days to file a claim. I would absolutely fight it, it’s worth fighting over. Your correspondence with the buyer will all be on the record for them to see. You can explain that a scarf joint is very common on many guitars, not at all a defect. I once had somebody buy a guitar, left me glowing feedback, particularly about how well I packed it. Four weeks later, they asked for a refund, claimed that it was damaged and was going to require a lot of expensive work. Complete bullshit, of course. This was eBay, and he paid with PayPal. That means of course I lost. I did fight though. I was forced to take the guitar back, and there wasn’t a damn thing wrong with it, he was lying. I say fight like hell.

EDIT: Upon rereading the original post, it looks like you already agreed to take it back. At this point, I think you’re out of options. I don’t think you can un-agree to take it back. Might be just as well, but I think it would’ve been worth pushing back harder. When something similar happened to me, I relisted and sold the guitar again, the new buyer was as happy as could be with it, all‘s well that ends well.
This was a recent sale, buyer asked for refund within less than a week of receiving the guitar.

This is a hot guitar and I will no problem re-selling it, it's just annoying how ignorant same people are.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I would not take it back, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar. He should have done his own research before he purchased the guitar, the guitar is exactly as it was built by Epiphone. Reverb is not Amazon, you can't just purchase something and then decide it is not what you want and return it with nothing wrong.

ucsteve

Reaction score
I would not take it back, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar. He should have done his own research before he purchased the guitar, the guitar is exactly as it was built by Epiphone. Reverb is not Amazon, you can't just purchase something and then decide it is not what you want and return it with nothing wrong.
i just hope it comes back

LeslieFan

Reaction score
So how does it work with reverb ? Can a refund be held until the seller receives the returned item and has a chance to look it over ?

Latest Threads