Epiphone Valve Jr. Head

LedHead

Reaction score
My Epiphone Valve Jr. Head crapped out the other day and i cant figure out the problem, i tried replacing the tubes. so what i think i am going to do is, have an amp tech hot rod it to put out 100 watts of all tube power. i am thinking of having the same tube specs as a marshall 1959 slp 4-EL34s and 3-ECC83s. but im thinking of just keeping the single volume knob on it since the little amp had amazing tone. any thoughts on this.

Phildog

Reaction score
Will all of that fit into that small chassis? There is an 18 watt mod that you can do to it. It sounds pretty good too. How much is your hot rod gonna cost?

ALSO, THIS THREAD BELONGS IN THE "SQUAWK BOX"

Dan

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain, from a layman's standpoint, that the Valve Junior was never designed to be a 100w head. If you liked the way it sounded before, I'm fairly sure then extra 95 watts (if at all feasible) will affect that tone.

River

Reaction score
I'm speechless.

Ask this in the Squawk Box, but make sure your tray table is in the upright position.

Mattdive

Reaction score
A common problem with the Valve Jrs. is a blown inline fuse. Check to see if the fuse coming from the power transformer (the larger one) is blown or not.
DISCLAIMER - be careful opening a tube amp, the caps (even in a small 5 watt amp) can store enough juice to kill! If you're not sure what you're doing, don't bother. PM me and I'll make you an offer for it!
You can check out Sewatt.com for a lot of info on this amp.

mymindsok

Reaction score
building a 100 watt head into the chassis and case of a Valve Jr is the best idea that I've heard all day! A a handful of parrts and few nights work with a soldering iron and you'll be in tone heaven.

Please pursue your idea and report back as soon as you have your new amp up and running.

I can't wait to see this!

yawny

Reaction score
:shock: Get a new amp......

Can 100 watts fit in that case?
No, no it cannot.

No sane amp tech will touch that build with a 25ft. pole. OP is essentially asking someone to build him a brand new 100w amp in a VJ shell. It just ain't gonna happen.

Latest Threads