Epiphone Unveils New Headstock Redesign for Inspired by Gibson Line

rxbandit

Reaction score
And a USA-made Texan for NAMM 2020, looks pretty good to me! Depends on price of course... but I dig!

"The Original Collection—featuring the likes of Les Paul '50s and '60s Standards, SG Standard with Maestro, Firebird, Flying V, and Explorer—will have CTS pots, vintage pickup voicings and wiring, vintage-style tuners, and era-correct neck profiles.

The Modern Collection—featuring the Les Paul Studio, Les Paul Modern, and SG Classic Worn—will have push/pull pots, weight-relief bodies, slim taper necks, and other more contemporary appointments."

Epiphone made-in-USA Texan

https://reverb.com/news/epiphone-launches-inspired-by-gibson-collections-us-made-texan-namm-2020?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=blog

Attachments

TheX

Cool story, bro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see at least one US made Epi. I would love to see them do a "custom Shop" type deal here, with nitro and the proper gibby headstock.

dissaffected

Reaction score
It would be nice if Epi created an identity that is not tied to copying Gibson models for cheaper prices. How about a historic pre-Gibson line or something different. I get why the current strategy makes sense from a corp view. BUT...Epis were a great and innovative co long ago. That has been lost. Or maybe this is just old man dreaming. Ya probably. The Texan is a minor nod in that direction since it was intro'd in the 40s but I would enjoy more of this direction.

Last edited:

JTM45

Reaction score
I wonder if they’re using solid tops instead of veneers? That standard looks really nice, so does the custom

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
It would be nice if Epi created an identity that is not tied to copying Gibson models for cheaper prices. How about a historic pre-Gibson line or something different. I get why the current strategy makes sense from a corp view. BUT...Epis were a great and innovative co long ago. That has been lost. Or maybe this is just old man dreaming. Ya probably. The Texan is a minor nod in that direction since it was intro'd in the 40s but I would enjoy more of this direction.

Even this model Texan, the same one played by McCartney etc, was a post-Gibson redesign, a J-45N (J-50) with an Epi head.

Epi did actually make a few models post-buyout that were uniquely theirs, not rebadged Gibbys, like the Sheraton and Coronet.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
It's nice to see at least one US made Epi. I would love to see them do a "custom Shop" type deal here, with nitro and the proper gibby headstock.
Problem there is market overlap with actual Gibsons; those Epis wouldn't be cheap and might well outsell USA-factory G's.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
pretty cool

Glad to see this is finally happening

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Still not going to buy an Epiphone without a Gibson headstock. Sorry.

Fender doesn't feel the need to pull this crap with Squier, I don't see what makes Gibson so special.

Nah, I think Epiphone should just return to the elegant proportions of its pre-Gibson headstocks (and make Epi-only models, not "poor man's Gibsons")

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
the all solid wood Frampton version of the Epiphone Texan __ is around $1200

( edit : correction . just $750 with the case and extras :shock: )

I wouldn't expect the USA version to be much more than that . but definitely a guitar that I would want to check out

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the all solid wood Frampton version of the Epiphone Texan __ is around $1200

( edit : correction . just $750 with the case and extras :shock: )

I wouldn't expect the USA version to be much more than that . but definitely a guitar that I would want to check out
Epiphone Texan... Paul McCartney's "Yesterday" guitar.

Virtually a J-45. Same woods, different inlays, and a 25.5 scale.

But sounds as good as the old 'J.

Damn good guitar, that Texan. It would get my vote for acoustics under $1K.

Latest Threads