Epiphone Tony Iomi SG project for a friend

Spirit

Reaction score
Hi fellow members;players and friends,I have a Tony Iomi Sg project that I am about to start for a friend as he is no longer able to do it himself before selling on his behalf,
I have never modded or upgraded any Guitar so I’m a little unsure of which way to go with it,any suggestions are most welcome.
I am unsure what’s going on with the harness,or if it needs upgrades ( see pic) but I do know he wanted upgrades to the bridge and tailpiece,anyway any advice from more knowledgeable members would be appreciated
thanks in advance

Attachments

• 4F8FEC3F-37F8-47D5-9A5B-328058DABC3C.jpeg
    4F8FEC3F-37F8-47D5-9A5B-328058DABC3C.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 1B31C06D-C7E2-4DCA-8CF6-FBEA5459D3D3.jpeg
    1B31C06D-C7E2-4DCA-8CF6-FBEA5459D3D3.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 22
  • AAFF5AFA-4281-4C1A-AF1E-F85AA42EDD10.jpeg
    AAFF5AFA-4281-4C1A-AF1E-F85AA42EDD10.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 22

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
As a starting point, don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading, but do it with some goals. This can be cosmetic, for repairs or because you want a different sound.

You said he wants the bridge upgraded, then start with that. What is it that be wanted? Black hardware? Lighter tailpiece? Etc.. again, what is the goal?

Did he want the pickups changed or was he okay with the sound? If the sound was already working for him, I'd just leave it. If something is faulty, we can help troubleshoot and see if any parts require replacement etc...

BadPenguin

Reaction score
If you are planning on upgrading, then selling, don't. Don't bother with the upgrades because that really don't enhance the sale price that much. You have a $500 guitar and put $250 in parts in it. You have a $750 guitar, right? NOPE. You have a $500 guitar with good parts.

Miki Dord MJ

Reaction score
Hi fellow members;players and friends,I have a Tony Iomi Sg project that I am about to start for a friend as he is no longer able to do it himself before selling on his behalf,
I have never modded or upgraded any Guitar so I’m a little unsure of which way to go with it,any suggestions are most welcome.
I am unsure what’s going on with the harness,or if it needs upgrades ( see pic) but I do know he wanted upgrades to the bridge and tailpiece,anyway any advice from more knowledgeable members would be appreciated
thanks in advance
The best would be to keep it original as much as you can for selling in case some Tony Iomi fan will buy it and if cares for original parts. For example according to my experience any upgrading for selling won't necessarily pay off. When i buy such guitars search for those in original condition.

I don't know what sort of stock pickups were there, but Epi pickups in last few years are honestly excellent. They don't have fancy names etc but the quality is imho on level with some popular brands.

If you still aim for upgrading then get HQ parts which aren't expensive, i know about 2 shops in the states and problly there are others, plus e-bay.
From what i see those are large pots? by putting some other made in the same technology you will only get name but not quality. Only i would add shielded wire in case that that one isn't. Moreover it seems like it has some sort of shielding paint? So by shielding the cavity extra will be OK and cooper tape or alu tape is cheep.

In total wire and tape won't be more then 10$.
You may add locking tuners ala Wilkinson they are like 25$Us, 1st class quality. The rest can stay as it is. Maybe to add metal rings instead of plastic one around pickups, you know chrome one.

All that should cost you more then 50Us$ and it may add value. It the end it all depends from buyer, how long you are willing to wait to get required price.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Spirit

Reaction score
As a starting point, don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading, but do it with some goals. This can be cosmetic, for repairs or because you want a different sound.

You said he wants the bridge upgraded, then start with that. What is it that be wanted? Black hardware? Lighter tailpiece? Etc.. again, what is the goal?

Did he want the pickups changed or was he okay with the sound? If the sound was already working for him, I'd just leave it. If something is faulty, we can help troubleshoot and see if any parts require replacement etc...
Thank you kindly very Good advice,I will start with the Bridge as suggested,see we’re I go from there ,
the Goal is just to get the Guitar in Good paying condition and to sell on for best price

Spirit

Reaction score
If you are planning on upgrading, then selling, don't. Don't bother with the upgrades because that really don't enhance the sale price that much. You have a $500 guitar and put $250 in parts in it. You have a $750 guitar, right? NOPE. You have a $500 guitar with good parts.
Thankyou very much I understand exactly what your saying as this is going to be sold on,not played by the owner so it’s a case of getting it to a playable condition and passing it on for the best possible price

Spirit

Reaction score
The best would be to keep it original as much as you can for selling in case some Tony Iomi fan will buy it and if cares for original parts. For example according to my experience any upgrading for selling won't necessarily pay off. When i buy such guitars search for those in original condition.

I don't know what sort of stock pickups were there, but Epi pickups in last few years are honestly excellent. They don't have fancy names etc but the quality is imho on level with some popular brands.

If you still aim for upgrading hen get HQ parts which aren't expensive, i know about 2 shops in the states and problly there are others, plus e-bay.
From what i see those are large pots? by putting some other made in the same technology you will only get name but not quality. Only i would add shielded wire in case that that one isn't. Moreover it seems like it has some sort of shielding paint? So by shielding the cavity extra will be OK and cooper tape or alu tape is cheep.

In total wire and tape won't be more then 10$.
You may add locking tuners ala Wilkinson they are like 25$Us, 1st class quality. The rest can stay as it is. Maybe to add metal rings instead of plastic one around pickups, you know chrome one.

All that should cost you more then 50Us$ and it may add value. It the end it all depends from buyer, how long you are willing to wait to get required price.

Good luck.
Thankyou for your advice and information you have seen a lot more than I have from the pictures alone,i will endeavour to get the guitar in playable condition to pass on ,as I said I am completely new to this so i will keep learning from the more experienced members and player players,until I get the Guitar to were it needs to be

darkvoice

Reaction score
Tony Iomi Sg project that I am about to start for a friend as he is no longer able to do it himself before selling
If you want to sell it - leave it as is with original parts. Upgrades generally don't add to the price, they can actually drive the price down. Unless you upgrade to fix something that's broken or putting original parts back.

Spirit

Reaction score
If you want to sell it - leave it as is with original parts. Upgrades generally don't add to the price, they can actually drive the price down. Unless you upgrade to fix something that's broken or putting original parts back.
Thankyou kindly,yes that seems to the advice to take,I will put the original parts back on restring ,set up and sell for my friend