Epiphone SG 400 wiring question

paulypj

Reaction score
quick question...

on my Epi SG,
1) if i select neck pick up i can control the tone and volume with the appropriate pots.
2) If i select bridge pick up i can control tone and volume on this pick up with the appropriate pots.
3) if i put the 3 way selector switch in the middle position, it sounds more like just the neck pick up, and if i turn the neck pick up volume to 0, all volume goes off (to zero- even tho the bridge pick up volume is at 10)

tapping on both pick ups gently with switch in middle position, i get output sounds in speakers from both pick-ups so im guessing they are both working together...

So, does the bridge pot control the overall volume when the toggle selector is in middle position? or is mine wired incorrectly??

I did check a diagram from a website and mine is almost exact except the capacitors on the tone pots come from the center pins and then earthed on the back of the pots.

Please help!!

thank you

paulypj

Reaction score
i think my pots just needed cleaning as it seems to be working (sort of) now.
I wiggled a few wires, and lifted up the earth wires at the toggle switch as i thought the mass of earth wires joined here might be shorting out on the plates of the toggle switch.
Whatever ive done seems to have made a difference.

paulypj

Reaction score
Ive been told a real solution as it turned out that my cleaning fix wasnt a fix at all.

All you have to do is rewire the volume pots.
There are 3 pins/legs on the volume pots.
One of them is connected to earth (ie the back of the pot shell)
all you do is swap everthing on the other 2 pins/legs over. (2 on the left inplace of the 1 in the middle)

Apparently it just switches the input/outputs over and prevents a 'short' that can happen which knocks out one of the volume controls - i was told its quite common.

Ive tested and it works a treat, so i hope this post now helps others!

Good Luck!
:thumb:

Latest Threads