Epiphone Rosso Corsa - Tried one out today

leoburton

Reaction score
So, I got my hands on a Epi Rosso Corsa today, and thought I'd share my experience.

And I've got say, sadly, I wasn't impressed (for the price). I was really wanting to love it!
I LOVE the look, love the specs, but it just didn't work for me. (Could just be that particular model though, I know each guitar plays differently)

I had my '97 Les Paul Standard with me (Trans Green, that I was looking to sell, to replace with a Rosso Corsa) at a great guitar shop in London.

Through an Orange amp, I played my guitar first, so see how it sounded and felt, as a base example to compare to.
Then the Epi Rosso Corsa, then a 2014 20th Anninversary Gibson Standard, then a 2016 Gibson Standard. They left me alone in a booth for an hour.

1st, The :slash: Rosso Corsa SOUNDED great! The pickups really do sound awesome! It looks amazing in person. And it does play well, don't get me wrong.

But it didn't gel for me. It was ok, but not great, as I was hoping.
All the guitars were on 10's, and they even very kindly setup the Rosso Corsa for me in the shop. Adjusting the action, etc..

But my guitar played much nicer. Even the guys in the shop agreed when they got their hands on my Trans Green '97 Std. The sustain was better on mine, the :slash:RC had fret buzz in the sustain, around the 15th to 17th frets. Some frets were muted.
Also, I found out I didn't really like the fat neck. Seems I prefer a slimmer profile neck.

Then I tried the 2014 Gibson Std, and the 2016 Gibson Std, and the difference was plain as day. They were both fantastic to play. I loved both of them.

If the Rosso Corsa was £350/400, I'd probably get it. But for £600, I'm not far off a Gibson Studio price, and I think it's money better spent.

I was looking to replace my beloved '97 Epi, with a newer Epi (specifically the Rosso Corsa). But I think if I'm going to make a change, its got to be a Gibson. I'll probably just put SD Alnico 2s in later.

I know everyone has differing opinions, and I'm sure there are some RC owners out there who will swear by them, and maybe their models are better ones off the production line. However, the one I played put me off.

Just my two cents.

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good job taking the '97 in with you for the test drive. Thats the way to do it! Sometimes, some of the older Epiphones seem to have a bit of magic that the newer ones are short on.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
"If the Rosso Corsa was £350/400, I'd probably get it. But for £600, I'm not far off a Gibson Studio price, and I think it's money better spent."

Sometimes...you aren't saving money with the Epi's.
I am not knocking Epiphone...I just got the SDOTD Epi Les Paul Custom Classic Pro..at $399 (USD) that was $300 off...

When you factor in a case...changing any parts or re-working the guitar (setup)...
You may as well get into the Gibson Studio's...especially with Mail Order places that give 15%+ off and free shipping...

I refuse to have $1000USD invested into an Asian guitar.
The Craftsmanship is good...sometimes perfect, but the setup, electronics and hardware can eat up your 'savings'

leoburton

Reaction score
I had planned on going to check out a 2nd hand Gibson Rosso Corsa Limited Edition this weekend, (wanted to try an Epiphone version first to compare it with), but if it has the same thick neck profile, then I know its not for me. (Plus its more than I wanted to spend on a guitar)
Once you start looking at LP Studios its so easy to say 'If I just spent a little more...'

djw171

Reaction score
I've tried the Epi version and I own the Gibson version. They are two very different guitars. I don't understand why they put the D shaped neck on the Epi. The Gibson is a 60's slim taper. Yet both endorsed by Slash and supposed to be his preferred neck etc. On the Epi your paying for the pickups more than anything.

leoburton

Reaction score
I've tried the Epi version and I own the Gibson version. They are two very different guitars. I don't understand why they put the D shaped neck on the Epi. The Gibson is a 60's slim taper. Yet both endorsed by Slash and supposed to be his preferred neck etc. On the Epi your paying for the pickups more than anything.

Thanks for responding! Oh, so the Gibson version has a slim neck, not the beefy fat neck on the Epi?

Damn, you've made me consider it again! Thought I'd ruled it out, much to the pleasure of my bank balance!

In your honest opinion, (impartial if possible) do you rate the Gibson Rosso Corsa over a regular Standard, or is just the Slash name, and the pickups as standard?

Is £1500 GBP (2300dollars US) a reasonable price, for a used Gibson RC?

I do love the look, I do love the sound, but I don't love the price, and neither does my wallet! In the end, I still may decide its more than I can afford to invest in a guitar, BUT, "I wants it!" :slash:

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I recently worked up a Rosso Corsa-alike... even had Seymour Duncan APH pickups too - absolutely loved it and so did the guy who bought it!
biggrin.gif

Will be doing one soon that has the flame in it too... I suspect that it will feel very different to the one you tried Leo...
wink.gif

2012-Cardinal-Red-Standard-1.jpg

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a nice Elitist LP and put in a set of the Slash APH-2's. They made my FCB my #1.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Get yourself a nice Elitist LP and put in a set of the Slash APH-2's. They made my FCB my #1.

I second this!^^^^^^Did the same to my FCB Elitist and it's a word-class instrument now. If it just had the baseball bat neck of my JB it would be absolutely perfect!

(Steve, I can't get over how much alike our FCB's look).

djw171

Reaction score
Thanks for responding! Oh, so the Gibson version has a slim neck, not the beefy fat neck on the Epi?

Damn, you've made me consider it again! Thought I'd ruled it out, much to the pleasure of my bank balance!

In your honest opinion, (impartial if possible) do you rate the Gibson Rosso Corsa over a regular Standard, or is just the Slash name, and the pickups as standard?

Is £1500 GBP (2300dollars US) a reasonable price, for a used Gibson RC?

I do love the look, I do love the sound, but I don't love the price, and neither does my wallet! In the end, I still may decide its more than I can afford to invest in a guitar, BUT, "I wants it!" :slash:

I honestly could not tell you what the used price would be. It's a great guitar. The finish on the Gibson version (on mine anyway) is really nice. The pickups do have a certain sound that's for sure, but as stated here by others you could fit them to any other guitar. As always i would say try and as many different guitars as you can. You may find a used Standard (Epi or Gibson) for a good price and you can fit what ever pickups you want.

Attachments

• Slash Rosso Corsa '13.jpg
    Slash Rosso Corsa '13.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 56

Latest Threads