Epiphone Rebranding: Bye-Bye to "Entry Level" Guitars

PierM

Reaction score
Isnt really like fender mim and usa, those are much much much similar products, just different level of attention to details especially on frets and nut, and more pieces of wood for the bodies. Apart that, they are the same guitars.

I do like epis, they are nice guitars, but are still made of pieces of unknown wood, soaked into epoxy and sealed in plastic. If they improve the hardware parts, and wiring, that’s for sure an improvement, but they never compete and compare with Gibson counterparts. That’s not the goal of these new products, they are just mirroring Gibson, offering interesting features, but core it’s the same.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
You can get a nice new Epiphone LP for $500. I have a 1990 Guitar Center catalog showing new Gibson Les Paul Studios for $499. :confused:
I paid $636 with tax for my new Epi LP Standard in 1996.

Epis are still around $600 new over 20 years later.

Either they have been highballing folks for over 2 decades or something else is up.

DrBGood

Reaction score
... but are still made of pieces of unknown wood, soaked into epoxy and sealed in plastic.
Not even.
They are made of old pallets, dipped in pine resin and sealed with ½" of egg whites.

I tell you ... crap, total crap.

PierM

Reaction score
Not even.
They are made of old pallets, dipped in pine resin and sealed with ½" of egg whites.

I tell you ... crap, total crap.
No crap, fine budget guitars. Truth it’s often in between. :thumb:

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ahh...because of all the improvements Epiphone just showed off past few days is why. Why would you pay an extra 2k for the Gibson Modern LP when you can have a Epi version with nearly the same features is just one example.
I doubt they have started using non asian made pot metal tuners, bridges and stop tails.

I also doubt they stopped using vaneer covered bodies as well, and cheaper woods.

There is more than cheaper labor that make the Asian made PRS, Epis etc less expensive than their MIA counterparts.

And then there is the whole Nitro vs acrylic/poly finish.

And I have had and loved a LOT of Epiphones. But there is a reason, when I had to drastically reduce my herd, I kept the 4 Gibsons and Fender (and a DBZ and Squier Master Series, I couldn't get much for) and sold the Epis

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Isnt really like fender mim and usa, those are much much much similar products, just different level of attention to details especially on frets and nut, and more pieces of wood for the bodies. Apart that, they are the same guitars.
now they do use a lot of pieces down in Mexico....
:lol:

IMG_5888.JPG
IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5891.JPG

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the equivalent to $970 in today's money...

My dad always tells me how he never paid more than $300 for his Les Pauls, Juniors, and Melody Makers in the 70s. That's inflation for you.
Yep... Up until just a few years ago, I paid $200 for every hard drive I ever purchased, with the exception of my first one, which was a 64meg Miniscribe with an external housing that was $600.
Seagate ST225, Seagate ST4096, Connor 212, Maxtor 400, Maxtor 1.2gig.....

But unless he was buying used, he was paying more than $300 for his Lesters. I paid $600 for my '78 Strat, and LPs were a fair amount more.
Juniors and Malody Makers? Maybe... I never priced them.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
But unless he was buying used, he was paying more than $300 for his Lesters. I paid $600 for my '78 Strat, and LPs were a fair amount more.
Juniors and Malody Makers? Maybe... I never priced them.
The Juniors and Melody Makers were definitely used. He had a couple of 59 Juniors and melody makers back when they were just old guitars. The LPs might have been $400 but not more than that. He ordered a deluxe and a goldtop in 72 or 73 from World of Music in Cupertino (rip)

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
The Juniors and Melody Makers were definitely used. He had a couple of 59 Juniors and melody makers back when they were just old guitars. The LPs might have been $400 but not more than that. He ordered a deluxe and a goldtop in 72 or 73 from World of Music in Cupertino (rip)
Ya, that early probably.
I think my dad paid $2000 for his '74 K5 Blazer.

Latest Threads