Epiphone Probuckers anyone?

Pancreas

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,
I recently picked up a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst with the Probucker 2 & 3 pickups. Although they sound pretty good, they just seem to have something "missing" the guitar itself plays GREAT (after a good setup) and is a beauty to look at.
My only other comparison at home is my '19 Gibson Traditional with the Burstbucker 1 & 2 set, which I absolutely love.
I can't quite put my finger on what I may be missing out on, unless, subconsciously, my brain knows I'm playing an Epiphone and it won't quite stack up.
Does anyone else here feel this way about their new Epi pickups? Or am I just crazy?
Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,
I recently picked up a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst with the Probucker 2 & 3 pickups. Although they sound pretty good, they just seem to have something "missing" the guitar itself plays GREAT (after a good setup) and is a beauty to look at.
My only other comparison at home is my '19 Gibson Traditional with the Burstbucker 1 & 2 set, which I absolutely love.
I can't quite put my finger on what I may be missing out on, unless, subconsciously, my brain knows I'm playing an Epiphone and it won't quite stack up.
Does anyone else here feel this way about their new Epi pickups? Or am I just crazy?
Thanks!
as with all sound-related-topics, it's all un the head of the one hearing and what you may like the most. Some people like better definition other more warm or dirty sound, some people go for very fat tone , etc, etc.
The Probuckers have very good reviews, my guitar have them, I can't complain, I like then a lot, but I haven't play a Gibson with Burstbucker either.
Maybe play with the tone knob to see if you can find the sound you are looking for. (or the gain on the amp)

Je1279

Reaction score
To my ears, the probucker 2 and 3's sound very similar to the burstbucker 2 and 3's with some subtle differences. They are definitely much closer than the older style Epiphone pickups. That having been said, I wanted something a bit more modern while still retaining the PAF tone on mine so I added a set of burstbucker pros.

Brianlps

Reaction score
I have them in a new Standard 50's. The neck is outstanding but the bridge is very thin sounding.

BDW60

Reaction score
I have them in a 2020 50s standard ... the 1 and 2. The neck sounds pretty darn good after adjusting pole pieces. The bridge in my particular guitar sorta takes Les Paul spank to a new level. It’s bright, man. Maybe the guitar itself is bright and adding to the issue. It’s not thin at all. Just bright to the point of needing the tone rolled off to 5 or 6. Or a little volume roll off. Slightly harsh? Strident? Eh, maybe.

Compared directly to my 2020 Gibson Standard 60s with fantastic Rocketfire PAFs on board, the Probuckers lack depth, richness, detail. Obviously, there is wood difference involved as well.

All that said, I think the PBs are the best humbuckers I have heard come stock in a 600 dollar guitar. They aren’t great. But they aren’t bad. I am quite sure a couple hundo in a pickup upgrade would really improve the Epi. Because it’s a pretty nice guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have Probucker 2/3's in all 3 of my Epiphones, totally great sounding pickups. I did a comparison of them between my Gibson Les Paul Custom with 490R/498T's and my Epiphone Joe Bonamasa Black Beauty where the Probucker 2/3's stacked up very nicely. The Gibson was just a little bit deeper in tone, but there was a 1lb difference in weight also, where the Gibson is heavier, maybe a more solid body for that deeper richer tone possibly.

Epi-Gibson Compare

Pancreas

Reaction score
I have them in a new Standard 50's. The neck is outstanding but the bridge is very thin sounding.
I owned the Standard 50's for a little while, and I remember it having the Probucker 1 & 2 pickups. Not sure how much difference there is between them and the Probucker 2& 3. I didn't care for the bridge tone in that guitar, either.

Pancreas

Reaction score
I have them in a 2020 50s standard ... the 1 and 2. The neck sounds pretty darn good after adjusting pole pieces. The bridge in my particular guitar sorta takes Les Paul spank to a new level. It’s bright, man. Maybe the guitar itself is bright and adding to the issue. It’s not thin at all. Just bright to the point of needing the tone rolled off to 5 or 6. Or a little volume roll off. Slightly harsh? Strident? Eh, maybe.

Compared directly to my 2020 Gibson Standard 60s with fantastic Rocketfire PAFs on board, the Probuckers lack depth, richness, detail. Obviously, there is wood difference involved as well.

All that said, I think the PBs are the best humbuckers I have heard come stock in a 600 dollar guitar. They aren’t great. But they aren’t bad. I am quite sure a couple hundo in a pickup upgrade would really improve the Epi. Because it’s a pretty nice guitar.
You're absolutely right. I just ordered the Seymour Duncan Hot-Rodded JB & Jazz set from Sweetwater. I'm pretty excited to get them installed.

Pancreas

Reaction score
I owned a newer Standard 50's for a while, didn't bond with it. But I do remember it having the ProBucker 1 & 2 set in it as opposed to the 2&3 set. I'm not sure what the differences are exactly.

Latest Threads