Epiphone Probuckers-Anyone order them on ebay/reverb? legit?

claytus

Reaction score
I've been pretty amazed by the pickups in the most recent epiphones I've tried out. One being a Les Paul Custom Pro II (2018 I believe- not 100%) the other being the BB King Lucille (2018 model as well- I think)

I think they absolutely destroy the 490r 498t combo in gibsons- but I've come to think i just hate those pickups/they dont work in my applications. BUt also these new probuckers are SOOOO much better than the pickups on my MIK epiphone from the late 90s. the neck pickup in the custom pro ii sounds VERY similar to the seymour duncan aph ii n i have in a les paul special (I am speaking here from memory as I did not have a chance for a direct comparison- so you can throw that thought out the window if youd like)

So it used to be (in the good ole 2010 era) that going to guitar fetish and picking out a set of $70 humbuckers was a BIG upgrade for epiphone les pauls. It seems like epiphone may have made those pickups obsolete for recent model Epis. Am I right?

I have an epiphone les paul standard gold top-from years back-- because the pots are tiny and the pickups feel cheap- So I was thinking about upgrading it with some duncans- then I remembered the epiphone probuckers and was like- hey how much are those- it turns out you can get them for like $55 a set with the wiring harness- which has the 24mm full sized volume pots along with 2 push pull pots and the quick connect wiring to make the install super easy. So its a potentiometer and pickup upgrade.

What do you all think about the probuckers vs gibson burstbuckers or 57's? Have you done direct comparisons?

I've read some stuff saying how theyre made so similarly to the burstbuckers its uncanny. But I'd like to know if I'm crazy for thinking the probuckers would be a better choice than some duncans?

I'm not trying to put lollars or lambertones in this thing- even though the Lambertone Crema and Grinder are the best pickups I've ever heard.

DrBGood

Reaction score
They are real good. But beware of the brand new ones you find on eBay and such, because Epiphone doesn't sell pickups outside of their guitars.

claytus

Reaction score
Have you ordered some and determined they are fake? or has anyone? and posted pics or video about it?

Its pretty easy to get ebay to refund your money if you say something is fake...

I find it hard to imagine theyd fake the quick connect the correct 24mm pots with the 16mm push pulls and the epiphone engraving on the back... I get theyre faking everything now... but it seems more likely theyre just taken from an epiphone factory or the factory where theyre made

DrBGood

Reaction score
Nope, but Gibson sells pickups on their websites. Epiphone is a parent co. but you can't find any on their site.

If I were to get some, I'd contact Epiphone and ask the question. It's up to you.

claytus

Reaction score
Honestly I like the epiphone 57s quite a bit too- the stratosphere sells them for $20

Are people saying the probuckers on reverb are fake?

DrBGood

Reaction score
Honestly I like the epiphone 57s quite a bit too- the stratosphere sells them for $20

Are people saying the probuckers on reverb are fake?
One Epiphone expert, Paruwi, seem to think so.

Stratosphere dismantles guitars to sell them in pieces. So, the 57's were actually removed from Epiphone guitars.

sasquatch

Reaction score
They are real good. But beware of the brand new ones you find on eBay and such, because Epiphone doesn't sell pickups outside of their guitars.
But yes, they do.
They cost a little more:
Not sure if it comes with the wiring harness though. I ordered a wiring harness a couple of months ago, for around fifteen dollars.
The choices on eBay look good, and mounting rings included on some, so it looks like a winner dinner to me.

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
But yes, they do.
They cost a little more:
Not sure if it comes with the wiring harness though. I ordered a wiring harness a couple of months ago, for around fifteen dollars.
The choices on eBay look good, and mounting rings included on some, so it looks like a winner dinner to me.
Thanks, didn't really look for them.

Getting the Chinese ones off eBay, is like getting a Chinese Gibson. Looks identical, but ... I've learned a long time ago that when it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

It's your money, not mine.

sasquatch

Reaction score
Thanks, didn't really look for them.

Getting the Chinese ones off eBay, is like getting a Chinese Gibson. Looks identical, but ... I've learned a long time ago that when it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

It's your money, not mine.
If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.
No shame to admit it.

DrBGood

Reaction score
They would have to be compared for tonality. Some say they compared meter readings an they were similar.

Capo Dei Capi

Reaction score
I have probuckers on my peter fampton and 490r 498t on my prophecy. It took a little while for me to realise, but now i think the probuckers arealot better than.

But in all fairness, the whole peter frampton just seems a bit better. Weight relieved and ebony freetboard. Epiphone should make more guitars like this.

Latest Threads