Epiphone Probucker Pickups - Thoughts?

RGVKiwi

Reaction score
I am wondering if you all could offer any thoughts on the Epiphone Probucker pickups....

I was in my local guitar store one day for strings and noticed on a specials stand a silver guitar.....it sort of looked interesting from the back so I had a look. Turns out it was a EP LP Standard in TV Silver...for 1/2 the price of a normal Epi.

A couple of days deliberation and I went back and bought it...a lovely playing and sounding guitar, more or less the equal to my 5oth Anniversary 1960 v3, though it had the standard Epi alnico pickups.

Well being the typical GAS inspired guitar fiend I find the model on Epi's website and totally fell in love with the TV Silver Custom Pro!

Due to the (apparently) well regarded new Epiphone Proburst pickups, the splitable pickups, the binding, the more elaborate headstock all compelled this instant upgrade desire.

The guitar shop found one at the other end of the country and being a good friend who worked there he agreed to credit back the Standard and me pay the difference for the Custom which was also on sale but nowhere near as discounted.

Well the custom arrives and it looks amazing....

Take it home and it doesn't play quite as nice but I figure, I can fine tune that over the next little while....

After 2 months of playing it and a lot of adjustments I have finally come to the conclusion that I much preferred the sound and feel of the Standard and that in comparison to my 1960 v3 the Probuckers are very bright and edgy (I originally thought this was good but it's not, it is slightly unpleasant).

So my long winded question is this....

What are peoples thoughts on the Probucker pickups ...is this my guitar or are the pickups genuinely like this..

Do I go to the expense of replacing the pickups?

I still REALLY love the colour, it is different enough that it doesn't look like the same old LP we all play (and love) but is still obviously an LP, very cool (to me at least)

Attachments

• Epiphone TV Silver.jpg
    Epiphone TV Silver.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 165

JoshT1031

Reaction score
Pickups are subjective to a degree. I like the Probuckers. Are they the best? No, I'd rather have some Slash Alnico 2 Pros from SD, Pearly Gates, or some Gibson 57s, but the Probuckers are pretty sweet sounding pickups.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I prefer Alnico classics or Gibson 57 classics. It's a question of personal taste. GFS Vintage 59s are a good cheap pickup if you're looking for something more along those lines.

notjoeaverage

Reaction score
Question 1 Are you using the same amp settings as you do with your v3? If you are play with them til you find the sweet spot for the ProBuckers.

2 have you adjusted pickup height?

3 have you adjusted pole piece height?

Change the wiring before changing pickups, if your pots readings for the volume are considerably higher than the tones then consider changing them, put the lowest reading in the volume position for the pup that is brightest.

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Some good thoughts here already
thumbsup.gif

Have you tried easing back on the guitar's volume and tone controls..? So many people play flat out 10 on everything, when there's a whole world of tonal and response combinations in there... although you may need better components and '50s config to harness them well
smile.gif

Tsquared

Trunk Monkey
Reaction score
I've got a T+ with '57's and a Standard with Probuckers. After setting the pickup height and balancing the sound, I prefer the Probuckers to the 57's. I will warn you that you won't find many people on here that will say that. :)

Dialing the Bridge tone back to about 6 -7 works wonders too...

lpplayer

Reaction score
thumbsup.gif

Have you tried easing back on the guitar's volume and tone controls..? So many people play flat out 10 on everything, when there's a whole world of tonal and response combinations in there... although you may need better components and '50s config to harness them well
smile.gif

This.

I have an Epi TV Silver Custom also, and I like the probuckers very much. Dare I say- similar in sound to the Burstbucker 2 and 3 in my Gibson Bonamassa Studio. Nevertheless, I am always adjusting the controls to a sound I like- particularly the bridge tone control- on all of my Les Pauls.

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
After a bit of messing around with polepiece heights and overall pickups height adjustments, I kinda fell in love with these pickups. They give almost the exact sound that I'm looking for, especially with the bridge tone turned down about half-way. The only thing I'm looking for is a bit more clarity, on the neck pickup in particular, for metal and shred styles. The Pro-buckers sound fantastic on just about every other application, such as some blues, classic rock, or cleans, but they don't have the output or clarity for high gain. I've got a set of Railhammer Chisel Pickups that I'll put in there soon, but I'm not dead convinced that I'll keep them in my PTP because I like the Probuckers so much already.

RGVKiwi

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys.

To answer a couple of questions...

I am quite happy playing around with my knobs :applause: but find the edginess is not in the realm of the tone pot, seems like the eq band it works in is different......

I may try adjusting the pickup heights again...I do like the basic sound it's just that they (well mostly the bridge) has a sharp edge that i cant seem to get rid of, Otherwise i would be quite happy with the sound.

I "may" be able to adjust it out with a notch filter / Eq or by adjusting the amp but my experience is that having to adjust the amp is not really solving the basic problem and certainly not something you remember to do in the middle of a gig, especially if you have just swapped a guitar...getting in to the next song is usually top of mind during that lull.

Thanks for the feedback, now that i know most people find them good I will play around a bit more.....

cmcoram

Reaction score
I've got a pair in my Standard Plus Top and like them enough that I want a pair for my older Custom. I prefer the A2 tone over the A5 tone, and I adjust and tweak everything (even have separate overdrive pedals for different guitars). Just my two cents.

dbagmaximus

Reaction score
I had a honeyburst plustop pro with probuckers 2 and 3. The bridge pickup sounded great out of the box, no adjustment necessary. I spent a solid 2 hours on a day I had free to try and adjust the neck pickup to make it sound 'right.' I adjusted the height and pole piece lengths and couldn't get it to not be muddy and instead have that warm sound alnico classics have. To me, at least.

56GT

Reaction score
thumbsup.gif

smile.gif

Yeah, but like playing the guitar the same way I drive - either full throttle, or full brakes! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
After a little deliberation, I decided to put a zebra ProBucker in the neck position of this 2005 Trans Amber Standard. Will provide a nice coil-split option

2005-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Trams-Amber-Standard-a.jpg

Styling cues taken from a Gary Moore Tribute model... I like it a lot!
yessmiley.gif

Surecatch

Reaction score
I love them. Since getting my Epi Les Paul (Indo) a couple of years ago, I've gotten a couple of more guitars and even put after market pickups in one, but the guitar I play most....my #1...is still my Epi' Paul. For many reasons, but mostly because I love the sound. And I've had several Epi's with the stocks they used to use before the Probuckers, and I think the PB's are significantly superior.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
After a little deliberation, I decided to put a zebra ProBucker in the neck position of this 2005 Trans Amber Standard. Will provide a nice coil-split option

yessmiley.gif

Wow! Another great looking guitar! There's a 99 trans-amber quilt top at a local pawn shop that has been steadily dropping in price. After seeing this, I think I might need to pick it up!

Shane

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, they can look mighty fine
thumbsup.gif

This one has a slightly lighter shade to it than most I've seen before.. oh and probably the darkest rosewood fingerboard I've ever seen too!

2005-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Trams-Amber-Standard-9.jpg

GraphX12

Reaction score
Yep, they can look mighty fine
thumbsup.gif

This one has a slightly lighter shade to it than most I've seen before.. oh and probably the darkest rosewood fingerboard I've ever seen too!

2005-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Trams-Amber-Standard-9.jpg

Unsung, you're KILLING me with all your pics you post! :wow:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 Epis with the Probuckers. One was the exact same Epi LP Custom in TV Silver. THe pups were not as described in that guitar, not at allo. Which makes me think it is your particular guitar is bright.

THey also sound fine in my LP Ultra III. Rather perfect for that guitar actually.

On the other hand, I had similar opinion to the OP about them in my Pelham BLue G400 SG Pro. Basically good. But a kittke something brittle/harsh in Bridge that wasn't present in the other 2.

Sold the LP Custom to get the G400. Replace the Probuckers in G400 with Whole Lotta Humbuckers from SD, cause I had them. Happier with that combination. Still love them in my Ulta III though. They go fantastically alone and with the Nanomag.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score

yessmiley.gif

You're not the only one!:wow:

Latest Threads