Epiphone Probucker Pickups and wiring options

Hannawr

Reaction score
I recently picked up a used Les Paul Standard with some GFS and Blues Engine pickups. The pickups are ok but the wiring hardness has butchered to the point where it needs replaced. The guitar plays well and I like the feel of the neck so I plan to keep the guitar for awhile but want to make some upgrades that do not break the bank.

Option #1

Saw that Obsidian Wire has a PCB based harness that looks good for @ $99 that could take just about anybody pickups. The down side is that you need to make the volume and tone holes larger to accommodate the larger diameter pot shafts and you need to purchase new knobs.

Option #2

You can buy a set of Probuckers with quick connects and a stock wiring harness with coil splits for about the same price as Option #1. This is the exact setup in used the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro series.

Option #3

Scrinia Engineering offered an upgrade to the stock quick connect wiring harness with coil splits and adds a phase shift pot for @ $ 80 that could be used with the Probuckers.

https://reverb.com/item/12119565-epiphone-les-paul-wiring-harness-coil-split-phase-shift-new

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Bill

Hannawr

Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

Now that turned off "Correct Spelling Automatically" and my computer know the word Epiphone. Yes indeed I have an Epiphone not an Epiphany. What embarrassing first forum question.

Sorry Guy's

Bill

Hannawr

Reaction score
paruwi,

Thank you for the subject fix. I have not gotten and response here. Maybe post the same question in the Tone Freaks Forum?

Thanks
Bill

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

Now that turned off "Correct Spelling Automatically" and my computer know the word Epiphone. Yes indeed I have an Epiphone not an Epiphany. What embarrassing first forum question.

Sorry Guy's

Bill

That's ok, I've heard people actually pronounce Epiphone as Epiphany. Oh, and Eppip-hone also for some insane reason.

I'm a huge proponent of probucker pickups. I think they're as good as anything else that's considered quality. I liked the Probucker 2 and 3 and the regular probucker.

The emulate the Gibson Burstbucker pretty well.

In my opinion it has been a while since the need to replace Epiphone electronics after purchasing one. I leave them stock and they're great.

Hannawr

Reaction score
That's ok, I've heard people actually pronounce Epiphone as Epiphany. Oh, and Eppip-hone also for some insane reason.

I'm a huge proponent of probucker pickups. I think they're as good as anything else that's considered quality. I liked the Probucker 2 and 3 and the regular probucker.

The emulate the Gibson Burstbucker pretty well.

In my opinion it has been a while since the need to replace Epiphone electronics after purchasing one. I leave them stock and they're great.

John,

Thank you for the advice. I took back the used Les Paul Standard to Guitar Center (no questions asked, (45 day guarantee) after discovering a few additional problems and bought a new one.

The new Les Paul Standard has:

Neck Pickup Epiphone Alnico Classic™ Humbucker
Bridge Pickup Epiphone Alnico Classic Plus™ Humbucker

They are not real bright or muddy just kinda of in the middle, for now they are fine. I like the guitar's feel and neck, it is like my 70's Gibson SG. The only thing that struck me was the plastic nut when I restrung the guitar. Over all I am quite happy with the price and quality of the guitar.

Bill

Roxy13

Reaction score
In the future if you want to replace pots without enlarging holes or buying new knobs CTS and Bournes do make metric pots that are a nice upgrade. If you are in the US you can get the CTS pots from Philadephia Luthiers.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Epiphone.

Latest Threads