Epiphone ProBucker Pickup review

centuryhouse

Reaction score
Since someone else resurrected this thread, I won't feel bad commenting on it

I have owned dozens of Epiphones over the last 25 years. ALWAYS the pickups were replaced.

Last year I got a used Epi LP Custom Pro and it sounded so good I was convinced the pickups had been replaced. They hadn't - it was Epi Probuckers. I was shocked.

I played another used Epi Custom Pro w Probuckers - again, fantastic. I bought it.

I bought a third Epi LP but this one was late 90s and IT sounded fantastic and just like the others! I opened it up and this one had GIBSON Probuckers installed! Great pickups - but not better than the others with Epi Probuckers.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
+5 Yep... I love the Probucker 2/3's and think they are totally sweet.

Last edited:

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the ones from my 50s Standard in my black Strat. The sound great in there. I was not a huge fan of them in the 50s. My Wolfetone Legends were a big improvement.

The Probuckers are 1000% better than my old Epiphone humbuckers.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I bought a third Epi LP but this one was late 90s and IT sounded fantastic and just like the others! I opened it up and this one had GIBSON Probuckers installed! Great pickups - but not better than the others with Epi Probuckers.
Gibson's are Burstbuckers, not Probuckers.

Reaction score
Since someone else resurrected this thread, I won't feel bad commenting on it

I have owned dozens of Epiphones over the last 25 years. ALWAYS the pickups were replaced.

Last year I got a used Epi LP Custom Pro and it sounded so good I was convinced the pickups had been replaced. They hadn't - it was Epi Probuckers. I was shocked.

I played another used Epi Custom Pro w Probuckers - again, fantastic. I bought it.

So.. most of my Epis are impulse buys and with that impulse buy usually comes with a set of pickups (and yes, sometimes even before I buy the guitar... no logic to it at all, but hey GAS is GAS). The first set of probuckers i had was in an Epi LP custom as well. The pickups sound so pleasing that I'm still hesitant to change them out cause I'd lose the sound.

Epi really needs to fix their marketing strategy. You look at a company like PRS who's essentially doing the same thing with the "S" tagged pickups - yet they manage to convince their users that those should stay in as is.

ping ping

Reaction score
Obviously not - it's the amp... :lol:
i T IS A HACK THAT BLAMES HIS TOOL BL BLA BLA
Mummy-The_04a.jpg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
At first, I really hadn't noticed this thread was resurrected from 2014 and I did not even know that the Probuckers existed in 2014. I do know the Probucker 2/3's are killer, but not sure about the original Probuckers way back then. I helped a friend pickup an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus back in 2016, but it came with Gibson 57/57+ Classic Pickups, it sounded really good. But... back then the necks felt a little bit weird and quality of the guitar still felt a little suspect compared to a Gibson Les Paul. Back then everyone still wanted a MIK, MIJ or Elitist. I may have been a little bit of a cork sniffer back then, but today, I love what Epiphone has done with the quality of there guitars that are coming out. I have 4 and they are fantastic.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Here is your comparison, a Gibson Les Paul Custom with 490R/498T to my Epiphone Les Paul Custom BB with Probucker 2/3 comparison. The Gibson Custom has a Richlite fretboard and the Epiphone Custom has an Ebony fretboard. Pretty much sounding identical, except the Gibson Custom was 5k and the Epiphone Custom was $800.

Gibson Custom vs Epiphone Custom

rbraad68

Reaction score
Figured I would post pics of these PB 2 n 3s i just uncovered just to see what was under the lid. Mine were both black bobbins I've heard of people winding up with a Zibra and a Black one. I pulled these out of a LP I'm redoing in Nickel haeware and some SD pups. I will put these in my Chibson to free up some SD pups for something else. Can't wait to see how they sound uncovered....
pro bucker uncovered 01.jpg

Attachments

• pro bucker uncovered 02.jpg
    pro bucker uncovered 02.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 11
  • pro bucker uncovered 03.jpg
    pro bucker uncovered 03.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 13
  • pro bucker uncovered 04.jpg
    pro bucker uncovered 04.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Up date on the pro buckers 2 n 3 i removed the covers from and put them in my chibson. The PBs sounded great with the covers on so it's no suprise that they sound great with the covers off.. Before the chibson sounded very metalish with no tone with the SD JB n 59 in the guitar. Now with the uncovered PBs in the guitar they sound great and brought back alot of tone the guitar was lacking.

Attachments

• chibson pro buckers 01.jpg
    chibson pro buckers 01.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest Threads